Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Jagmasters?

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Does anyone know anything about Fender Jagmasters? Are they good for surf, or for anything at all?

Jon
Does anyone know anything about Fender Jagmasters? Are they good for surf, or for anything at all?

Supposedly the Vista series ones are a great value. I have a plain old Squier one and it's really only good for collecting dust and dings.

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

For both Longboard Ranch CD's, which were well received by Phil Dirt, Clint Beachwood, Unsteady Freddie, and many others who love authentic sounding "trad-surf", I used a 2000 Squier Jagmaster <u>exclusively</u>.

Photos of this guitar have been posted on SG101 for at least the last 2 years. With an American Deluxe Series Strat bridge, Seymour Duncan SJM1 - Vintage for Jazzmaster pickups and a Fender '57 Strat R/I pickup in middle position, this guitar <u>IS</u> my favorite "L"-series Jazzmaster or Strat when I want it to be.

The main thing is to lose those awful Humbucking pickups and swap in some decent single-coils!

Jon, the Vista series ones are Japanese Fenders...same Jaguar neck, Jazzmaster body, and Strat bridge/trem that went on the MIJ Reissues of that era. Really nice guitar for it to say "Squier" on the headstock. They're kind of rare but are still on eBay pretty regularly. What I did to mine was drop some humbucker-sized p-90's in it made from Fender type magnets from a company called Vintage Vibe so as not to mutilate it to get a single coil sound from it. I'll never get rid of it.

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Hello everybody,
this is Ralf Kilauea from The Kilaueas.
(new on this forum here.)

I agree with wetreverb!
Get a Jagmaster from the Vista serie and you got a more than good surf guitar basic.
I got a nice candy apple red one from 97. Meanwhile its equipped with those US vintage cream white RI Jazzmaster Pickups.
(The original humbuckers are good though. But not for Surfmusic I think.)
Other customs on my Jagmaster: A Jaguar chrome control plate for Volume and tone.
And a new designed red pickguard.
So now I got a Jaguar with Jazzmastersound and Strat vibrato.
Looks and sounds great.
I did the same mods with a blue sparkled Squier Supersonic. (The Supersonic sounds a bit better than the Jagmaster. Don`t know why?)

If you like to have a good surfy Squier, be sure to get one of those from `97 Vista series!

If anybody need some pics from my Squiers feel free to contact me.

BE TWANGED BE REVERBERATED BE SURFED!!!!!!
Ralf Kilauea

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Great to see you here Ralf, can't wait till your california tour.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

HallmarkSweptWinger
Hello everybody,
this is Ralf Kilauea from The Kilaueas.
(new on this forum here.)

I agree with wetreverb!
Get a Jagmaster from the Vista serie and you got a more than good surf guitar basic.
I got a nice candy apple red one from 97. Meanwhile its equipped with those US vintage cream white AVRI Jazzmaster Pickups.
(The original humbuckers are good though. But not for Surfmusic I think.)
Other customs on my Jagmaster: A Jaguar chrome control plate for Volume and tone.
And a new designed red pickguard.
So now I got a Jaguar with Jazzmastersound and Strat vibrato.
Looks and sounds great.
I did the same mods with a blue sparkled Squier Supersonic. (The Supersonic sounds a bit better than the Jagmaster. Don`t know why?)

If you like to have a good surfy Squier, be sure to get one of those from `97 Vista series!

If anybody need some pics from my Squiers feel free to contact me.

BE TWANGED BE REVERBERATED BE SURFED!!!!!!
Ralf Kilauea

So meanwhile (years later..... aaaaahhhh!!!) I know how to post pics here.

A few people requested for pics. So here are a few pics from my `97 "Vista Series" Squier Jagmaster. Still very very good guitar! A pleasure to play. Love the neck!!! AVRI pickups. Self designed pickguard, Jaguar control plate. A REAL Jagmaster.

On the first pic you can see on the left one of my Jazzmasters. This is a burgundy mist CIJ, equipped with original 59 Jazzmaster pickups. With this Jazzmaster Ive recorded the "Profesor Volcanova" album.

See the much darker (better) neck of the Squier on this pic!:

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

I know there's already a thread on this but I'll post my take on Jagmasters again... I love 'em!!! I have a silver sparkle and I traded out the humbuckers for P-90's and it sounds amazing.

BOSS FINK "R.P.M." available now from DOUBLE CROWN RECORDS!
www.facebook.com/BossFink
www.doublecrownrecords.com

Wow! That's almost a 4 year thread bump! COOL!

Oh and nice guitar Ralf!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian

Oh and nice guitar Ralf!

My question about the Jagmaster is the scale length is it a full 25".5 or a 24" also the neck radius 7,25 or ??? Thanks..

No thread too old to bump!

I wanna play just like him when i grow up...

rotnroby

Brian

Oh and nice guitar Ralf!

My question about the Jagmaster is the scale length is it a full 25".5 or a 24" also the neck radius 7,25 or ??? Thanks..

The Jagmaster was brought back into production in 2002, this time made in China and featuring a 25.5" neck (21 frets). In 2005, the 2002 Jagmaster was discontinued, and replaced with the (also Chinese-made) Squier Jagmaster II, which features different visual aesthetics, as well as the old 24" neck (22 frets). (However, by 2007 this had become a 21-fret 24" neck, contrary to the Squier information online, which has yet to be updated.) However, unlike previously, the 2005 Jagmaster II has only two (readily available) color options: black and sunburst. The third finish option, "Silver Sparkle" of the 2002 reissues, is no longer available. I just answered my own question...

Thanks everyone for the info. I got a used one off craigslist
and i'm learning to play it

Gary

What kind did you get?

The Mystery Men?
El Capitan and The Reluctant Sadists
SSS Agent #31

Last year I purchased a 24" scale black & white Jagmaster off Ebay for under $200 delivered to my door in "like new" condition. It came with a new set of GHS Jammers .010-.046 black coated strings and an extra set of the same, I found the tone "muddy". After playing it on and off for a few months I strung it up with D'Addario .010-.046 strings which helped a little.

Recently I bought a pair of new/unused Kent Armstrong Retro-Fit P90's off Craigslist and once I get them installed I'll let you know what I think. I'm still not too sure about the guitar as I'm 6'3" with long arms and average sized hands/fingers so I worry about feeling cramped after extended periods of playing.

How much do the Vistas go for?

sdgails
How much do the Vistas go for?

Last week I saw a red one on Ebay that went for $350.00 + s/h which suprised me. I had no idea it would reach that figure.

A Vista is on Ebay now starting at 500 bucks. Ridiculous. It may be the more sought after of the two versions of that Squier, but you still need to change the pickups and after that you could have bought a new Classic Player Jag or Jazz or have been within $100 of it. I have nothing against the Squier name-used to have one of those sought after 80's Strats- but it should not be priced near the Jag or Jazzmaster!

www.jetpackband.com
https://www.facebook.com/JetpackTheBand

I'm in love with my Jagmaster !!!

I just removed the original black pickguard & humbuckers (HUMBUCKERS DON'T SURF) and got a new tortoise pickguard with cheap singlecoils
I arranged the single coils in a "mustang" shape and I'm quite satisfied Smile
Take a look, a beauty isn't it ?

Docteur Legume Et Les Surfwerks

http://doclegume.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/doclegume

"We're gonna draw a little bit of everybody's blood 'cause we're gonna find out who's THE THING"

Jetpack
A Vista is on Ebay now starting at 500 bucks. Ridiculous. It may be the more sought after of the two versions of that Squier, but you still need to change the pickups and after that you could have bought a new Classic Player Jag or Jazz or have been within $100 of it. I have nothing against the Squier name-used to have one of those sought after 80's Strats- but it should not be priced near the Jag or Jazzmaster!

The Vistas are JAPAN. The classic players are MIM. Big difference. Gimmee the first run Vista any day.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next