Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink The DeadBeats live in San Pablo, CA

Page 1 of 1

Tony Bologna and I managed to get an invite to see the DeadBeats play a private party last night. As you probably know, the DeadBeats is the new name for our own Mr Reverb63's (Zanti's) band. I've been looking forward to seeing his band in action for some time. Not only to gauge how far along they are musically, but to see how they'd fit into the roster of SF Bay Area surf bands.

It was a great set of all fast and upbeat songs. Covering the likes of Satan's Pilgrims, Ghastly Ones, The Ventures and Dick Dale. The sound was right and no doubt these boys did their homework. We all know the difference between 'rock' drumming and 'surf' drumming, it's a different approach entirely, and not easily grasped by drummers new to the genre - Jon had it down in spades. Great fills and nice cymbal work. Abraham on bass reminded me of a young Brett Cole of the Pyronauts, whom I consider one of the best surf bassists I've ever seen. Great finger plucking style, solid tone and a firm grasp of what a bassist needs to do. Zanti led the charge on his gorgeous gold strat with a blistering double pick style that would do any surf guitarist proud. But beyond that, he has got the groove. Many people can play the notes, but the talented ones make you feel the melody and make you want to move along with it - Zanti's got that.

As a surprise bonus, our own Wooza -Ben Johnson - slung his beautiful sunburst strat on and took over lead duties for Dark Eyes and Vampiro, and rhythm on a killer version of Misirlou. Really, Tony and I were commenting afterwards that they'd have made the SP's proud. Ben is a fine guitarist with a style all his own and I predict great things to come from him.

I'm proud to say that The Deadbeats far exceeded my expectations. This is a band that has all the talent it needs to propel itself into one of the finest surf bands in the Bay Area if not the entire country. They've got the drive, the chops, the style, and the time. (All under 20 Smile ) I wish I was 3/4th's this good when I was 20.

I hope Zanti and the rest keep at it, hone their skills, explore writing some originals and continue to get better and better. They'll be a force to be reckoned with. Take the opportunity to check out their myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/deadbeats63

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

It's great to hear about new bands like this!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

I second everything that Danny has said. I was totally being sincere when complementing your set, Zanti. The drums, bass and guitar perfectly interplayed. You guys kick ass! I hope to see you guys again soon.

Science friction burns my fingers.

I'm knocked out as I'm listening to this. Even the name is just the BEST! Very exciting to think they are just getting started. Wow

Thanks for posting this Danny!

Worship Wow i can't even explain how i feel after reading that review of our show, im Honored!!!!!!! it really meant alot to us to have DAnny and Tony there supporting us, i must say it was a great show! i woke up feeling great this morning and wanting to play even MORE!! thanks to Ben (Wooza) for being there and kickin ass in Vampiro!!!!! i really hope we get to play together again, thanks for coming tony and danny!! next time you guys see us we'll be way better!

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Yes, let it be known that the Deadbeats absolutely kick ass and are already a force to be reckoned with. They put on a really rockin' show Saturday that was a blast to listen through. They can definitely hold their own already, and I'm sure it'll only get better so everybody watch out.

Many thanks to the guys for letting me sit in with them... and many apologies for absolutely f'ing up the lead for Dark Eyes. Embarassed Laughing It was a lot of fun though, and we definitely held it together for Misirlou and Vampiro. The former of which we hadn't even rehearsed, and the latter I had only learned the night before, and we kinda rehearsed. I forgot how it ended, and I might not have been the only one, but we made it work somehow and it sounded pretty cool. As an audience member, I thought the whole set was bitchin'. Highlights were probably "Fuzzy and Wild" and "Dirty Sanchez." Killer. Rock

Everybody check these guys out if you get the chance. The Deadbeats can definitely offer up the goods.

Last edited: Mar 03, 2008 22:37:37

Nice work guys! I'm looking forward to seeing you guys one of these thar days!

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

I agree, hopefully you guys can get on a Hotel Utah show for one of the times I come up. Or you guys can Play So. Cal.

cool sounds.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

thank you everyone for the support! yeah hopefully one of these days in the near future we can do hotel utah we need to get better!!!!!!!!!!

-Zanti

-Zanti

Instagram:

My IG

Combo Tezeta IG

Page 1 of 1