Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Valentines Day Show-Cupid Rock! Feb. 9

Page 1 of 1

It’ll be time to grab your sweetheart, or maybe find one, when Cupid Rocks! Saturday Feb. 9, 2008 at 8 PM.

Once again the Zen Bar (zenbarct.net) is pairing up with Blue StingRaye Productions to bring fun and festivities to wahines and hodads with four rockin’ bands. This ultra-lounge venue has welcomed surf with open arms and every show gets better and better. This month I bring you The Clams w/ Clamdiggers (woo-hoo!), the Truckstop Playboys, The Octomen and those kuntry-punks from Brooklyn, The Blind Pharaohs! You can catch videos of the bands and more pictures at www.myspace.com/bluestingraye.

This is great line up, chock full o' reverb and rockabilly! Celebrate with your Valentine and make a few new ones. As always there will be a raffle of goodies between the bands, all with a Valentines Day theme. A measly $5 gets you the best surf at a damn good price. An added bonus...The club just installed a brand new $7,000+ sound system for these bands to blow up!

The Zen Bar is located at 270 Farmington Ave., Farmington, CT (Exit 39 off Rte. 84 East; Take Rte 4 East 1.1 miles and make a left into The Exchange. The Zen Bar is on your left)

This show is very special as it is dedicated to John "Pops" Senese, father of Rattlesnake Ralph (The Octomen). Check out the poster for more details and check out the show!

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

Update!!!!!

Breaking News....The much-anticipated revival of the Blind Pharaohs on Sat. Feb 9 at Zen Bar in Farmington CT, will feature Sean Kershaw, Charlie Chedda and, back after lo these many moons, Chops Laconte on the
bass! Come get your brain bludgeoned with stoner psychobilly madness!
Bring a friend!

Chops Laconte was part of the original line up and has recently returned from nationwide tour with Sasquatch and the Sickabilles. Check out his page on My Space www.myspace.com/mikeychops
To catch a bit o' da' whole band go to www.myspace.com/blindpharaohs

And making their debut appearance, two new additions to the Clamdiggers line up. Welcome these go go gals the only way you know how, by getting on the floor and shakin' things up with 'em! I am looking forward to meeting them both.

See you next week!!

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

One last reminder about Cupid Rock! this Saturday:

The show is dedicated to John "Pops" Senese, father of Rattlesnake Ralph of The Octomen. Ralph credits his father with his love of music. Ralph's father was a musician all of his life and he taught his children, among other things, that the show must go on. Pops left this life on Dec. 27, 2007. In attendance on Sat. at the Cupid Rock show will be Ralph's sister, son and Mother. We look forward to celebrating Pops' life with them.

At the family request a portion of the the night's proceeds will be donated to The Country Cats, a feline rescue organization started by Rattlesnake Ralph's sister. Their mission is to reduce the overpopulation of homeless and unwanted cats and kittens. (www.thecountrycats.com)

Come out and show us some love at this all too special Valentines Show!

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

hey Blue S.R.

sounds like a great line-up you have for this coming weekend

maybe, just maybe I can figure out a way to get up there for the show? I will let U know

oh, you mentioned Chops -- I have seen him perform and he is a pisser on stage....he plays his slap bass like he is on a pogo stick!! I believe the last time I saw him he was playing with Barry Ryan backing Robert Gordon?

and thx for the sweet spiritual stuff about Octo-Ralph and his family....very touching

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

http://www.facebook.com/unsteady.freddie

Chops is an amazing bass player and one of the original members of the Blind Pharoahs- he just finished a national tour with Sasquatch & the Sickabillies.

This is also the first show for the Truckstop Playboys in over a year and the first time the Clams wil be showing off the newest additions to the Clamdigger line up. I am looking forward to a very exciting show.

I certainly hope that you and other NY NESMA peeps can make. I would offer folks a place to stay, but my home will filled Pharoahs.

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

The drinks are on me on Saturday! There will three separate promos going on this Saturday, 2/9 to make the Cupid Rock! even more fun(and I didn't think that was possible).

Free samples of Land Shark Lager, the "official beer" of Jimmy Buffet will be given out by grass-skirted lasses early in the festivities . imageWhen that ends, the bikini-clad Malibu Girls will be mixing up some fruity rum soaked punch and handing out free shots. imageThe night ends with another vendor giving away free energy drinks as a promo (name TBA).

Hope this won't distract you from the 4 fantastic bands playing!
The Zen Bar - www.zenbarct.com or www.myspace.com/bluestingraye for more info, directions, etc...or just read the damn poster...

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

THIS SHOULD BE ONE HELL OF A NIGHT!

Alas, I will be there only in spirit, as I face the wonders of root canal at 11 am tomorrow morning

Prayers, please?

Have fun BLUE....you have, it would seem, established a regular rotating gig in a wonderful part of Connecticut -- the more surf, the merrier

Twang it, and they will come

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

HEY BLUE STINGRAYE

word 'round these here parts is that your show this past Saturday nite was KILLA

I am taking the liberty of re-posting here what RATTLESNAKE RALPH of the OCTOMEN posted in my TWANG SHEBANG and NESMA Yahoo Groups

congratzzzz

UNSTEADY FREDDIE

RALPH's post:

Thank you Blue Stingraye for making this night so special. Your
tribute to my Father was touching and straight from the heart, my
family was overwhelmed. My 77 year old Mother had a blast, she's an
old school Pony dress Rock 'n' Roll girl and saw all of the classic
50's Rockers back in the day, her favorite band of the night (although
she liked all of the bands) were The Truckstop Playboys. I heard she
was telling Mike Rosado about Tony Iommi's guitar technique lol! She
loves old Sabbath and thinks Iommi is gorgeous. She also loves Rob
Halford and calls him the Liberace of Metal lol!!

Rattlesnake

We got some fine press in the Hartford Advocate. This will be appearing in print tomorrow, but I was able to grab it on line today. The show is mentioned in the last 2 paragraphs:

http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=5792
Picture on front page, left side:http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/

Local Motion: Boppin' and Surfin'
Dead Cat Bounce bring their coordinated licks to Szechuan Tokyo, and the Octomen charge up the Zen Bar
By Dan Barry

With four horns out front, you would think that Dead Cat Bounce is risking certain doom. If one player falls out of lock step, the melody will instantly turn from gold to lead, and all eyes will be on him. But no one does. Weaving through complex, postmodern bop licks like trick archers, the Bounce is as awe-inspiring to watch as to listen to.

It's hard to find points of reference for the stuff that Dead Cat Bounce is doing, namely because it's so wonderfully accessible while still being challenging and intelligent. For example, they took a lick from John Coltrane's "Spiral" and re-cast it as a big, honkin' Dixie groove. If you've ever seen any episodes of the Japanese anime Cowboy Bebop, you might remember its speedy, upbeat jazz soundtrack. The band who wrote and played that material, the Seatbelts, seem similarly interested in seeing just how fast they can play while still retaining accuracy — the hallmark of bebop. Hip-hop fans could call to mind Jurassic 5, who, in their own words, "take four MCs and make it sound like one" by unifying their voices at unpredictable points.

But even these comparisons fail when the Dead Cat Bounce saxmen inevitably fly off the handle and start taking simultaneous solos. It's like some kind of free-jazz freakout held together only by the consistency of their rhythm section. Since their members are scattered across Connecticut and Massachusetts, the band doesn't frequent the Hartford area as much as I might wish. Sadly, they don't have any dates booked at this time, but you can keep your eye on deadcatbounce.org for gig listings and more info.

On Saturday, I had a new experience when I caught a surf rock show at Farmington's Zen Bar. Now, if you don't think Dick Dale is cool, your opinion is wrong, but outside of his music, I never really thought to seek out surf rock as a genre. I guess I incorrectly figured that you needed surfers and sunny beaches to have a good surf scene.

I caught a wonderful set by the Octomen, a three-piece who combine old-school, feelgood stuff with contemporary dark surf. Some of their more modern pieces featured turbulent, demanding basslines, and at one point, sticksman Mike Reddington even launched into double-time thrash drums! Guitarist Rattlesnake Ralph's playing was soaked in reverb, and as an encore, he nailed the tremolo on Dick Dale's "Misirlou" (better known as the Pulp Fiction theme). The crowd at the show was incredibly diverse, featuring hot-rodders and rockabilly toughs, the more stylish set that frequent Zen Bar, go-go dancers, and even an older woman in the corner wearing a leopard print jacket and a lei! For more information about local surf music, go to nesmasurf.org.

Aloha,
Blue StingRaye

Page 1 of 1