Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink The Madeira in the studio - photos

Page 1 of 1

The recording sessions for our next album are done. Everything went really well, and we can't wait to start mixing the tracks. Here's some photos from the sessions:

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Do I see a Hammond Organ back there?

"as he stepped into the stealthy night air... little did he know the fire escape was not there"

https://www.facebook.com/reluctantaquanauts/
https://www.facebook.com/TheDragstripVipers/

Ivan dig the photos and AC30, I'm a Vox man myself Embarassed
Can't wait to hear the new works.

Happy New Years 2008!!!
Cheers
Kyle
Cheers

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Great pics Ivan!! Drool
That looks like a really great studio. Comfy. The layout looks almost exactly like the one we used to record our album, but your studio looks really hip.

Care to go into any details regarding your gear setup for the session? For example, looks like you were using three different amp configs: Showman, Vox, and a Dual Pro.

Did you use all the guitars in that quiver?
Any acoustic guitars on this album? I really dug the acoustic work that you wove into 'Sandstorm'.

Also, what about effects? Looks like you had your trusty Tone Works going plus another echo unit you have posted recently about.

Sorry about the laundry list, but inquiring minds want to know Wink

Keep us posted on the progress of the album...

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

Yeah Ivan, go into detail about how you created your guitar tones. Did they vary much from song to song? Did you layer them with different amps at the same time?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Ivan, where is the white AC30? The white one isn't one of the handwired ones is it? I played on at the store the other day. So excellent.

Can you take some more pics of the studio? Control room, lounge, other parts.

Dig Ivan's t-shirt...

This is incredibly exciting! Smile

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Wow, lots of questions!! (Here's a better photo of the t-shirt:

Very Happy )

OK, here we go:

Ruhar
Care to go into any details regarding your gear setup for the session? For example, looks like you were using three different amp configs: Showman, Vox, and a Dual Pro.

I used the Showman and the AC30 simultaneously for pretty much all tracks and all overdubs. The Dual Professional was used by Patrick. I also used two reverb units, one for each amp. I would usually have slightly different settings on them. Todd used his blackface Dual Showman for his bass tracks.

Did you use all the guitars in that quiver?

Yep. The red Strat on four songs, the gold Strat on six, the Jaguar Baritone/Bass VI (tuned E-E, like a Bass VI) on two songs (and one overdub), and the Jazzmaster for a bunch of overdubs. Also, my Rosados Spanish guitar. Todd used all three of his Jazz basses, a Jap reissue and two early-seventies models. Patrick used his trusty nineties American Standard Strat, and a Taylor dreadnaught.

Any acoustic guitars on this album? I really dug the acoustic work that you wove into 'Sandstorm'.

Yep, there's quite a bit of acoustic stuff on the album. There's one track which is completely acoustic. Then I do a Spanish guitar overdub on one song, and Patrick played an acoustic rhythm on three others.

Also, what about effects? Looks like you had your trusty Tone Works going plus another echo unit you have posted recently about.

Yep, the Klemt Echolette (German-made early sixties tube/tape echo) was used on three songs, no echo on one song, and all the others got the Korg Dynamic Echo. There's one where I used both the Echolette and the Korg at the same time. Shocked

Sorry about the laundry list, but inquiring minds want to know Wink

No problem, happy to answer!

Keep us posted on the progress of the album...

Thanks, Ryan, sure will!

DannySnyder
Yeah Ivan, go into detail about how you created your guitar tones. Did they vary much from song to song?

Yeah, I varied the volume levels on both amps depending on the song (I left the EQ settings the same, though - both amps just have a bass and treble control, so it didn't seem like it was worth messing about with that, especially since time was of the essence - I used the normal channel on the Showman, and the top boost channel on the AC30). The fast, heavy songs had the Showman on 7 and the Vox on 5, the softer songs were played with the Showman on 4 and the Vox between 3 and 4. And some got volume settings in-between those. And then of course, different guitars got different tones.

Here's some technical details about the recording, straight from the guy who recorded us: We used a Neumann U47fet on the Showman (I think) and a Neumann U87ai on the AC30 (though it might be the other way around, I forget now). We tracked Patrick's Dual Pro with a Royer 121 ribbon mic. We used a four-mic set-up on the drums with an AKG D112 or D12 on the kick, SM57 on snare, STC Coles 4038 ribbons as a mono overhead the to the side of the kit (though we ended up also close-micing the floor tom to give us some flexibility during the mixing, given that a few songs rely on it quite a bit). We used an Avalon U5 DI on the bass combined with Todd's Dual Showman. We cut everything through vintage Neve, Calrec, Universal, and API mic amps through Urei, Teletronix, Tube-Tech, and Altec limiters. Nice setup:

Jake, I can't take any more photos - we're done there. It's in Indy, too, and I live 3 hours away. Anyway, there are a few more rooms to the studio, but they're nothing special and I don't have any photos of them. There's a bass room/booth, there's a small kitchenette, and a garage that doubles as a storage area.

The fawn/white AC30 has been passed on to my dad. Sadly, it's not one of the handwired ones. It's a '91 Rose-Morris reissue, the last year they made them before Korg bought the company. The Korg reissues were redesigned to bring them back to more-or-less early-sixties specs after several changes during the previous years and they definitely sound better (that's what I have).

Oh, Bill, yep, that's a Hammond that belongs to the studio, but we didn't use it. I hope you're not too disappointed. Wink

Whew, I think that's everything! Thanks, guys!
Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Looks like a great studio. Mind if I ask what the hourly rate is? In the Bay Area a room like that would be at least $60 an hour without engineer. Are you going to be mixing there or someplace closer to home?
Congrats!

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

diceophonic

Very cool, Kyle. I really love the sound of AC30s for surf. Langhorns used an AC30 and get such great tones. Also, Laika & the Cosmonauts, as well as bunch of other Euro surf bands. It's a very rich, warm tone.

Thank you, sir - same goes for your new recordings!

Happy New Years 2008!!!

Likewise!

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007 13:21:00

PolloGuitar
Looks like a great studio. Mind if I ask what the hourly rate is? In the Bay Area a room like that would be at least $60 an hour without engineer.

I have been working with the owners of this studio since '99 (starting with the New World Relampagos project) and the first Madeira album was recorded there, so we get the 'friend' rate of $65/hour with an engineer included. Here's the studio's website.

BTW, I can't recommend this studio highly enough. A very comfortable place, tons of fantastic gear, and the owners/engineers really know what they're doing. And now they've had quite a bit of experience recording surf music, too!

Are you going to be mixing there or someplace closer to home?

Nope, it'll be mixed at that studio.

Congrats!

Thanks!

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Wow that's awesome. Are you recording each instrument separately or is it all at the same time? I've heard that recording all of the instruments at the same time gives you more of a "live" sound.

Augusto Vite

www.facebook.com/carne.y.cosas

IvanP

diceophonic

Very cool, Kyle. I really love the sound of AC30s for surf. Langhorns used an AC30 and get such great tones. Also, Laika & the Cosmonauts, as well as bunch of other Euro surf bands. It's a very rich, warm tone.

Thank you, sir - same goes for your new recordings!

Happy New Years 2008!!!

Likewise!

Ivan

Ivan that is so sweet an AC30 for surf this gives me the bug to bring out my AC30 and pair it up with my '62 Bandmaster in the studio I shall try that we have a few more tracks to go (fine tune, redues, and I'll be mixing and mastering the songs myself at the end) and then the fun part of finding a good place to press the cds Confused

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Always bring all of your amps into the studio. I think Mike is bringing in 6 or 7 amps next time. I'm bringing the three I have so far...

Let's continue this discussion of multiple amps in the studio on a different thread. I have questions...

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder
Let's continue this discussion of multiple amps in the studio on a different thread. I have questions...

We're there!! good call Danny Very Happy

-Kyle

The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Mrgreen
Wow that's awesome. Are you recording each instrument separately or is it all at the same time? I've heard that recording all of the instruments at the same time gives you more of a "live" sound.

We always play and track (record) together, 'live', but each instrument is separated from the others. Recording with all instruments and amps in one room and having leakage from one instrument's mic to others can sound really great, if set up right by somebody that knows what they're doing. The problem is that you have to be extremely well-prepared and practiced, because everybody has to play their part right. Having instruments isolated from one another is a lot easier, cause if you screw up and the rest of the band plays the song well, you just go back and fix your part. That's what we choose to do. It's a lot faster and a lot less pressure.

Modern recording does have its conveniences.

Ivan

Ivan
The Madeira on Facebook

Page 1 of 1