Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
147 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Baritone guitar...

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4

Reverb17 wrote:

Generally I find that low powered p/u's sound better for baritone guitars.

I also have noticed that lipstick p/u's, with their enhanced mid-range bump, work a little better than Fender single coils(strat/Jag/JM). It adds a depth to the baritone sound.

I would think the Gretsch style p/u's would also sound nice in the same way.

Not sure. But my Bass VI does sound a lot like a Jaguar on certain settings; that's why I Like it so much. Very glad I didn't buy a second one to string up as a baritone. The Gretsch is a LOT lighter, and I'll never mix them up no matter how big a hurry I'm in.

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Aug 05, 2019 14:57:38

What scale is the Gretsch?
I started out in "B" tuning but then changed down to "A" for more range.
When we play The Lonely Surfer I drop the low "A" down to "G" to match the recording.
"A" tuning works well with a 30"scale , not so much in 28".

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Reverb17 wrote:

What scale is the Gretsch?
I started out in "B" tuning but then changed down to "A" for more range.
When we play The Lonely Surfer I drop the low "A" down to "G" to match the recording.
"A" tuning works well with a 30"scale , not so much in 28".

The Gretsch scale is 29.75 inches. And actually, I quickly switched it to drop A for added flexibility, with E - B the same as my guitars. I plan to use my Squire Bass VI for The Lonely Surfer, Besame Mucho, Stingray, and so on.

With it's kid brother that I've had for about five years. (I'll quit now unless someone has a question. Big Grin )

Last edited: Aug 07, 2019 20:59:30

Nice

He who dies with the most tubes... wins

Surf Daddies

Thoughts on this standard / bari double neck? I cannot see myself playing any double neck, but this one looks super cool!

Daniel Deathtide

Apologies - Noel those are a gorgeous pair!!

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

Apologies - Noel those are a gorgeous pair!!

None needed! And thanks! Yes, they look good. (If I only played as good as they look. Big Grin ) My shoulders ache just looking at double-neck guitars. Funny thing is, I can't remember ever seeing anyone play both necks in one song - two people yes, but not just one guitarist.

Last edited: Aug 08, 2019 12:39:18

Bumping this up to quote and give my experience.
This advice seemed great. I watched videos, tried one at the store briefly, and thought it would work. However, trying it home with my setup...total disappointment.
Way too warbly, and fragments of previous notes still "contaminating" the current notes.
Probably the playing style I use (double picking, slides) not compatible with what this pedal can do.
I believe if you play very sparse, single notes, it *may work.
The dry+octave tone also left a lot to be desired.
I returned the pedal.
YMMV.

Ran

mwbrock wrote:

Who am I to stop someone from acquiring another instrument, but I sold my Danelectro Bari after trying a Digitech "The Drop" pedal. Sounds great through a clean fender amp with reverb, tracks quickly, the interval is adjustable, and it can be used on any of my guitars, fixed bridge or trem. I'm sure this pedal was conceived and marketed with drop-tuned metal in mind, but it serves perfectly well for bari sounds.

The Scimitars

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019 15:16:24

I mostly use this pedal for single note lines or arpeggios, with a fair amount of reverb. To avoid phasing effects, I don't include any dry signal. For what it's worth, this is with a strat and a dual showman reverb, with occasional drive from a Timmy.

I'm happy my mileage did vary, but indeed, buy it from somewhere with a refund policy. I'm guessing that pitch shifting is particularly sensitive to setup.

Cheers,
Mat

kick_the_reverb wrote:

Bumping this up to quote and give my experience.
This advice seemed great. I watched videos, tried one at the store briefly, and thought it would work. However, trying it home with my setup...total disappointment.
Way too warbly, and fragments of previous notes still "contaminating" the current notes.
Probably the playing style I use (double picking, slides) not compatible with what this pedal can do.
I believe if you play very sparse, single notes, it *may work.
The dry+octave tone also left a lot to be desired.
I returned the pedal.
YMMV.

Ran

mwbrock wrote:

Who am I to stop someone from acquiring another instrument, but I sold my Danelectro Bari after trying a Digitech "The Drop" pedal. Sounds great through a clean fender amp with reverb, tracks quickly, the interval is adjustable, and it can be used on any of my guitars, fixed bridge or trem. I'm sure this pedal was conceived and marketed with drop-tuned metal in mind, but it serves perfectly well for bari sounds.

I've been watching this post for awhile. Nothing gets to crawling under your skin like a BARITONE.
Well I had 2 examples but I can't load the second song. Fiddlesticks! Here's me and my Eastwood Baritone Sidejack in action. The other song involved a capo so it was kinda a high low thing. Round about the 5th fret. Wiggy.
Dead Thread Dead Thread Guitar

Da Vinci Flinglestein,
The quest for the Tone, the tone of the Quest

The Syndicate of Surf on YouTube

http://www.syndicateofsurf.com/

http://sharawaji.com/

http://surfrockradio.com/

Last edited: Sep 02, 2019 16:40:07

Cool song. Thanks for posting!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4