Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Baritone guitar...

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

...more specifically, which one? Currently within my price range, there's the Danelectro Longhorn (or their other baritone), the Fender Jaguar Bass VI Custom or the Gretsch Electromatic Jet Baritone. To me, it seems that the Gretsch would hold standard baritone tuning (B, E, A, D, F#, B) better, with it's 29.75" scale neck, but I can't really let that be my ultimate deciding factor.

The Jag would seem like a logical choice, with the more typical surf guitar shape (of course...being a Jaguar, after all), but several of the customer reviews at Musician's Friend complain about the single coil pickups, as opposed to the humbuckers for the Gretsch, and of course Danos have a sound totally unto their own, with their Lipstick pickups. Then again, I'd actually have to find a Jaguar Bass VI Custom to try out, as I've already tried (at least attempted to) a Danelectro Baritone like what Music 123 is selling.

I'd ruled out the Epiphone Les Paul Special Baritone (apparently now out of production) 'cause of it having the shortest baritone scale at 27.75", and even the Ibanez MMM (Mike Mushok Signature) is one of the shorter baritones, with a 28" scale neck. So far, in all of my guitar collection (currently at 9 with 1 more...an Epiphone PR-100 "Texan"...on the way), I've managed to not pay more than $400.00 for anything. But, of course in some cases that's not avoidable, such as my saving for a Jazzmaster, so is it possible that I might be happier with the Fender Jaguar Bass VI Custom (either upgraded to humbuckers or better single coils) beyond that it looks more like a typical surf guitar than the others?

I'm only looking for a baritone for several song ideas (like a surf guitar arrangement of Bert Kaempfert's "A Swingin' Safari") for which it'd be nice to have something sitting in between the lead and bass guitars. Even if I already had a Jazzmaster, there are some original songs I'm working on where I've simply ran out of bottom end...even on my humbucker equipped guitars. At that, I should also start considering a 5-string bass, as numerous people on IRC chats have suggested, 'cause here too I've developed some bass line ideas to the point of "damnit, Jim, I can't get 'er any lower!" Razz

Matt in Indiana

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

I don't know if this helps, but I've got the Danelectro Innuendo baritone guitar. It's got a really really long neck. It's kind of got a cool sound, and has built in effects (fuzz, tremelo, slap echo, and a disgusting chorus effect), and a strat style whammy bar. But really, as a baritone, the thing is useless. Everything sounds too crisp and nice on this thing. The low notes don't growl, they chime. I have a hunch that an instrument with a shorter neck, but thicker strings might sound cooler.

-Thor

Monsters From Mars
http://monstersfrommars.com

I may very well get me a Fender Jaguar Bass VI Custom at the end of next month, after I'm finished "playing Army" (Army National Guard) for 2 weeks, and my money's in the bank. I took a chance, with my Fender So-Cal Speed Shop Strat, ordering it from Musician's Friend without having tried one...only going on "it should sound better than my Squier Bullet Special, being a Fender," and I was right. At least once I actually have a Jaguar Bass VI Custom in my hands, I can then order a set of Seymour Duncan Hot Rail pickups, and if I don't like the 'buckers over the single coils, at least I can get my money back (within 21 days) from Seymour Duncan.

Slowly but surely, my collection of "WMD's" (Weapons of Musical Destruction) is shaping up quite nicely...some will take a bit longer than others for me to obtain...and, for the most part my selections are specific to the types of music I want to play, and the musical soundscapes I intend to create. So far I don't have much of anything toward good surf guitar, unless I count my Fender Standard Telecaster, but that might be better suited to surfabilly lead given its typical Tele twang.

Matt in Indiana

Fast Cars & Loud Guitars!

I've got a Jag Baritone VI and I like it a lot. I've got it tuned B-B and it makes some mighty fine growls. I installed a Jag tremolo on it which makes it much more like a proper VI. Of course it will need more pickups...

Mel

Mel,
Is that a Jaguar below the Jag Baritone?
Do you own a real Fender BassVI?
is that where you got the idea to put 3 pick ups in Jazz and Jags?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

The other guitar is a US reish Jaguar, with middle pickup. I also have a MIJ Jaguar with the same configuration, currently used by Shecky in Meshugga Beach Party.

I used to own a MIJ Fender VI, but sold it about five years ago. I regret selling it, but I rarely used it. I had it tuned E-E, which was great for recording. I've got the Jag Bari tuned B-B and it seems to sit in the band sound quite well. I'm toying with the idea of 4 pickups for the Bari if I can get my hands on a Bass VI switch plate.

I'm not sure there was a specific guitar that got me thinking about middle pickups in Jags and Jazzmasters. I guess the Strat has a lot to do with it, because this way I could get the "quacky" sounds. Plus the Jag and Jazz are just so cool, how could they not be cooler with extra pickups?

Mel

I'm bumping this topic because so much time has passed. As some of you may remember, I made myself a Stratocaster Baritone guitar a long time ago for an event because I needed to play C below E on Lawrence of Arabia. After that I just noodled around with it. After I bought my Squier Bass VI, I never touched it at all, and so I recently sold it.

You can guess what happened next. Yep! I'm working on some Spaghetti and find I really need a Baritone again. My Bass VI is dedicated to Jet Harris right now and is tuned Eb - Eb, so I can't just retune it as a Baritone.

The obvious option is to buy another Squier Bass VI, put Baritone strings on it, and tune it B - B. But there are a lot of other choices out now. My budget is limited, and I can't afford to buy a mistake, so I have to get this right the first time. As no one in reach seems to stock Baritone guitars so I can bring in my Ennio Trilogy fuzz pedal to try them out for sound, I'm turning to everyone here for advice. I've looked at all the sound samples I can find on the Internet. But as no one is playing Spaghetti, none of them really help.

Right now I'm considering these, listed from most to least expensive.
1. Eastwood Jeff Senn Model One Baritone
2. Gretsch G5265 Jet Baritone
3. Squier Bass VI
4. Danelectro 56 Baritone

I'll also consider any and all other suggestions, but I don't have time to save up for an expensive guitar. Totally willing to consider used, as long as it makes great spaghetti.

Thanks!

This is Noel. Reverb's at maximum an' I'm givin' 'er all she's got.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019 08:57:07

I don't understand, why can't you retune the Bass VI?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

DannySnyder wrote:

I don't understand, why can't you retune the Bass VI?

I have a La Bella Bass VI (26 - 95) set on it. I tried once, and broke strings.

I have time now for a longer answer. That was my first thought. I did try to. I started by tuning up the low strings, and everything went well for four strings, but I couldn't get past the 2nd string without breaking it. I ended up abandoning that idea.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019 11:18:27

It's mundane but I think the cheapest route is to buy a Strat baritone conversion neck and slap it on whatever cheap Strat you have on hand or grab off craigslist.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/ConversionNecks.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fender-Baritone-Strat-Neck-Maple-24-Fret-SR-BAR/362683966771?hash=item5471a62533:g:FTsAAOSwG9VdDOem:sc:USPSPriority!97222!US!-1

I'll look into it. Thanks!

Redfeather wrote:

It's mundane but I think the cheapest route is to buy a Strat baritone conversion neck and slap it on whatever cheap Strat you have on hand or grab off craigslist.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/ConversionNecks.aspx

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Fender-Baritone-Strat-Neck-Maple-24-Fret-SR-BAR/362683966771?hash=item5471a62533:g:FTsAAOSwG9VdDOem:sc:USPSPriority!97222!US!-1

FWIW, I'm working on just that right now. Slowly. And actually, I think I might end up making my own custom body. But I have a Warmoth 28-5/8 neck and all the other parts.

The hard part is deciding on a color scheme...

Redfeather wrote:

FWIW, I'm working on just that right now. Slowly. And actually, I think I might end up making my own custom body. But I have a Warmoth 28-5/8 neck and all the other parts.

The hard part is deciding on a color scheme...

Unless I get the Eastwood Senn Baritone, mine will almost certainly be Black on Black.

Capo?

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

revmike wrote:

Capo?

Hmmm. I tried a capo on my Bass VI once with mixed results. But it may work better after I put the Staytrem bridge on it. I'll let you know. Thanks!

In terms of puttng one together, I've got a tele-type body that I've had around for a long time with the plan of putting a baritone neck on it. But I also have a cheap strat knock-off lying around, so I could potential convert that to a baritone and then sell the tele body.

So are there particular advantages to making a strat bari vs. a tele baritone? Strats of course have a tremolo, but I'm not a fan of strat trems and could maybe add a Bigsby to the tele.

Noel wrote:

Unless I get the Eastwood Senn Baritone, mine will almost certainly be Black on Black.

I'm guessing you need a whammy bar? Which is a shame, because Squier did a gorgeous blacked-out hardtail baritone a couple of years ago:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JazzVMBarBK--squier-vintage-modified-baritone-jazzmaster-black

The Miramars (2017-2022) https://www.facebook.com/themiramars / https://soundcloud.com/themiramars

MartinB wrote:

Noel wrote:

I'm guessing you need a whammy bar? Which is a shame, because Squier did a gorgeous blacked-out hardtail baritone a couple of years ago:

Looks like this has the same neck as on their Bass IV. Interesting how Squier responded to the market.

I recently restrung a Squire Strat (with standard 25.5" scale length) for B-B tuning.

I used Ernie Ball Baritone stings, 13-72(Code 2839) and it worked just fine. The tension was good (I intended to tune it A-A but it was a little too slack). The trem was fine too - but I like 'em stiff anyway. I didn't even need to file out the nut slots at all, but perhaps I just got lucky.
Tone? I don't have a longer scale Baritone to compare it with but for the fairly limited use I required it was more than satisfactory.

Click here for Spira tunes

The Spiratones - Instro/Surf from the rain-soaked north-northwest of England

J_Durango wrote:

I recently restrung a Squire Strat (with standard 25.5" scale length) for B-B tuning.

I used Ernie Ball Baritone stings, 13-72(Code 2839) and it worked just fine. The tension was good (I intended to tune it A-A but it was a little too slack). The trem was fine too - but I like 'em stiff anyway. I didn't even need to file out the nut slots at all, but perhaps I just got lucky.
Tone? I don't have a longer scale Baritone to compare it with but for the fairly limited use I required it was more than satisfactory.

That is very-much like what I did. But I made a new nut for my spare Strat conversion in a luthier class I was taking at the time. Hindsight being what it always is, I wouldn't be in this predicament if I had just kept it. This is why I have too many guitars! Big Grin

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next