Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Backing Tracks

Page 1 of 1

Does anyone here know whether backing tracks to popular surf/instro tunes are available for purchase or download? I would love to practice the guitar parts to cool songs like Apache, Walk Don't Run, Misirlou, Slaughter on 10th Avenue, Pipeline, Mr. Moto, and others with a backing track.

Any help appreciated.

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

There are a ton of those types of things for the Japanese Venture fans. You'll have to look on eBay for those as they are all imports.

I think there are similar things for Shadows fans in the UK.

The new Atlantics have also done this for their recent album.

The Torquays appear on a book/CD combo for surf music.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Here is a link to a site that has a bunch Shadows and other misc. backing tracks. A cool guy named Abdel that posts on this site pretty regularly sent this to me. (Abdel, I hope it's ok that I'm passing this on). He also might be able to turn you on to other online pay to play sites or cd's. Some of the arrangements are a little goofy, but others are very cool. I've had a lot of fun with these and they will keep you busy for a while.

A couple of my favorites. Johnny Guitar, Jet Black, Lonely Bull, Sleepwalk, Last Date, Perfidia, Apache, also some basic blues and stuff, even Jessica by The Allman Brothers.

Have fun,
Ben

http://goran.tangring.com/

Good post and question.

I also have been looking for backing tracks on the internet and was turned onto the Goran Tangring site by Dario of Gomez Amps. There are several good tracks there, but some are the computerized type.

There are also good backing tracks on the CD that comes with the Vol 23 Hal Leonard book called Surf Guitar Play-Along--especially for the Ventures version of Walk Don't Run, and also close to the orginal versions of Penetration and Pipeline. The Walk Don't Run "Shadows Style" on the Goran website is a little different and both are good. Apache and Sleepwalk on the Goran site are also very well done, as well as others.

I have not found a good, original sounding backing track for Wipeout but there is a computer version that's free on an internet site--just not as good as an original sound. I 'd have to search around to see where I found it but it was a free download.

I understand there is a CD of backing tracks by the Atlantics, and a companion "tab" songbook, but I haven't been able to find the tab book yet.

I also would still like to find or "purchase" live guitar/drums backing tracks for "Wipeout," for "Mr. Moto," and for the Venture's "Surf Rider" but haven't found any yet. If anyone knows a good site or lead, please post the info. I would pay $$ to get good backing tracks.

Thanks for the post. Goober

Search ebay for "Shadows Backing Tracks" and about 8 show up now. I didn't see any Ventures ones there right now. Usually the Ventures ones are listed as "Ventures Karaoke", and include a book and CD. They are expensive though from Japan.

You can get the Atlantics backing tracks and tab book at their site: http://www.theatlantics.com/

Thanks Brian: just completed my order for the matching Atlantics CD, CD backing Tracks, and Tab book--can't wait.

Goober

Excellent, I missed this on a previous visit.

Backing tracks, cd and music book are a terrific idea, every home should have one just in time for Christmas.

I'm having a blast with Goran's Apache track, and I fumbled my way thru Sleepwalk once. Awesome find, thanks!

I'm going to have to order some of that Hal Leonard stuff.

Swing! Twang! Shake! Twist!

If it's just for practise and sound quality is not critical, you could try what Bergen Woods did for his Surf Rider demo -

All tracks were recorded live by me (lead, rhythm, and bass), except for the drums, which were stripped out of a MIDI file from Don Walker's Ventures website.

See http://www.surfguitar101.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=17

Sounds like a great idea.

There should be dozens of freeware MIDI editors out there for most platforms, any one of which should allow you to delete or disable specific tracks, and mess with the tempo (eg. TuxGuitar). Once you have the desired mix, then render it as an mp3.
TuxGuitar will also export to music score and tabs as PDF, or just tabs as ASCII.

I'm not a complete idiot. Some parts are missing.

I ordered and just received the Atlantics' "Flight of the Surf Guitar" CD, "Backing Tracks" CD for the same album, and the music book with both note and guitar tab scores for 17 songs. The sound on the backing tracks CD is excellent and beats the MIDI type tracks.

Cost was a total of $85, and well worth it for a noodler and "bedroom picker" with no musical talent. I use a Tascam MPT-1 guitar trainer to store MP3 versions and to "slow down" the backing tracks for practice and learning.

I would never say the sound quality is useable for pro performances, but it's great as a learning tool, and an occasional party with friends.

I wish more surf bands would do the same with their CD's--could be a source of supplemental income/profits.

Goober

The Torquays did a similar thing, several of their songs appear on a Surf Guitar instruction book / CD combo with and without the lead guitar.

Brian:

You're right. I already have the Torquay song book and CD which has "good quality" backing tracks. Us "bedroom pickers" can never have too many "band in your pocket" CD's.

Goob.

I was going to suggest the Martin Cilia Revenge of the Surf Guitar thing. Goober came pretty close to acing me out on that. Not the classics, however.

There's also an interesting home gown thing you might look at: check out the tracks on the MySpace site of Trace of the Penetrators.
Notice that it's Sourthern, not Southern here.

The nice thing about the Göran Tångring tracks is that he provides backing tracks, the full renditions, chords, and the tabs for almost all of them. His renditions are fairly clear and deliberate, as if he was in "instructor mode" for grasshopper beginners like me. Way to go, Göran! Rock

Also, on http://users.telenet.be/roland.bettenville/main.html (click "Surf Drums") Roland "Bette" Bettenville has half a dozen short MIDI files of basic drum patterns that you could play in loop mode, for a glorified metronome. Fun for aimless noodling.

On the version of Surf Rider from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack the guitar is hard panned to one side - just mono-ise the other and play along with the original band....

http://www.myspace.com/thepashuns

Youth and enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

estreet
On the version of Surf Rider from the Pulp Fiction soundtrack the guitar is hard panned to one side - just mono-ise the other and play along with the original band....

There is a trick you can do to many stereo recordings in an audio editor (like Audacity) to make your own home-brew karaoke tracks that work a bit like that.

The lead vocal is typically in the centre of the "stereo image". You invert one track only, say, the right channel, and then sum it with the left channel (ie. collapse them down to a single mono track). The resulting mono track is the difference between Left and Right. Anything that was originally the same phase and amplitude in both channels is now gone. If only the lead instrument or vocal was exactly in the "middle" of the stereo image, then that's what should be gone. YMMV.

Fortunately, a lot of the early stereo albums were produced with fairly obvious "placement" of the backup instruments off to one side or the other. It's worth a try.

Agree guys.
Just been looking myself to. Disappointed to say the least. There’s a great opportunity for an all rounder musician, to do Surf backing tracks. I’m sure whoever, gets round to making them could make a pretty penny.
Matt ✌

I’ve just bought some tracks from this on iTunes.‘Let’s play Ventures sound’ Karaoke.
The backing tracks sound ok. ✌

There have recently been some new BTs added.

https://martincilia.com/buy-cds/backing-tracks-sale/

YouTuber Bruce Linquist has some great backing tracks including Pipeline and others. He puts up new videos frequently.
https://www.youtube.com/user/jbruceguitar/search?query=backing

Page 1 of 1