Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink What is the best Tolex Cleaner?

Page 1 of 1

Just curious what works best to get tolex cleaned and looking closer to new. I've read bad/good things about Armor All for example. What have you had good luck with?

Ryan
The Secret Samurai Website
The Secret Samurai on Facebook

For cleaning, Simple Green works great for me. It will also take dirt and nicotine off the grill cloth, but do not spray it directly on the grille...spray the SG onto a slightly damp car wash mitt.

It also works great on old nasty Tolex guitar cases. And it is supposedly non-toxic and biodegradeble as well.

For a nice "like-new-in-the-music store" sheen on Tolex, I use a non-water based automobile detailers tire treatment called Product 1000.

Armor All actually works OK on (black) Tolex if you wipe the amp down with a slightly damp, clean cloth or towel afterward. I used to use it a long time ago with no apparent ill effects. But it makes the amp too "shiny" unless it is wiped down afterward with the damp towel.

The same applies to using it on your car's interior, unless you are really into that "used car lot shiny dashboard" look. Confused

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007 14:09:18

Ive used regular dashboard cleaner spraycan with good results.

works wonders if you want to sell some piece of equipment!

make sure you get one without perfume though. there's definately something weird about a an amp smelling like the chemical variety of a fresh forest. Duh

Rules to live by #314:
"When in Italy, if the menu says something's grilled, don't assume it is."

https://www.facebook.com/The-Malbehavers-286429584796173/

Thanks for the input guys! I appreciate it. Hey Wannes, what about a Vanillaroma scent? Wink

Ryan

I used Murpheys Oil Soap for cleaning, then a quick wipe w/ Amor All for moisture replenishment.

1st off why clean the original grill cloth? I would keep as it is, it's what vintage is about keep the cig smoke stains and the years of use on the grill.

What I use to clean tolex is grab a rag run it under warm water and keep it damp I only do this when I 1st buy and recieve a vintage Fender Amp, it will clean nicely and then rinse the rag and do it agian and then after it's cleaned up after much time later from use Arrow gigs , dust I use 70% rubbing alcohol especially for rough and smooth blonde tolex it cleans up great, for black tolex after it's been cleaned I use armorall it makes the most vintage black tolex black and new lookin' also I use the 70% alcohol for the faceplates, take off all the hardware and knobs and it's a must use a soft 100% cotton rag, your faceplate will look better then it does now trust me and you can do the same for the rear faceplate.

Also theres no need to use armorall, oils for blonde tolex smooth/rough
just use 70% alcohol to clean it up or a damp warm rag.

also 70% or higher alcohol cleans well for the legs, corners etc. it get's the grim and rust off and gives them that nice chrome shine.

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

Here's two of my old combos that I cleaned up with Simple Green and a damp car wash mitt, then a damp and a dry towel afterward.

I should have mentioned in the earlier post that I only use the tire treatment on black Tolex. I did an edit.

The brown Pro had really dirty, stained grillecloth when I found it, and the blonde Frankencombo was just plain nasty all over.

I concure with Kyle on keeping an old, semi-beat up amp looking "vintage", but these two were in very good shape aside from needing a good cleanup, and now they are minty-fresh. Cool

image image

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Thanks a lot guys for the input. I'm not worried about the grill because I'm doing a re-grill (current gill is mismatched between head and cab and the cab grill is torn.)

Ryan

when I was younger, I used to clean my tolex with spilled beer...but, now-a-days, I clean it with human sweat and coffee...

dp
when I was younger, I used to clean my tolex with spilled beer...but, now-a-days, I clean it with human sweat and coffee...

ha ha me too.
The problem with the beer cleaner is that the electronics in the amp start to act funny after a while. Wink

Ryan

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009 15:50:39

WoodyJ
I concure with Kyle on keeping an old, semi-beat up amp looking "vintage"

Thus far I been very blessed to find vintage pieces in ok condish with minimal to no stains or rips on the grill and tolex, just needing a good clean on the tolex and faceplates and a good vacum job inside the head cabs and chassis to get the dust, spider webs etc. outta there!

-Kyle

Beyond The Surf YouTube channel
Beyond The Surf Instagram
The Verbtones @ Instagram
The Verbtones @ Facebook
The Verbtones @ bandcamp

plain bar soap - like ivory soap - with a terry cloth rag or soft brush if needed - then rinse with terry cloth in clean water, not too wet. dry well with clean towel.

I think armor all makes it too shiny.

Hey Zak, so are the four I built/recovered 10 years back....They have that "loved-a-lot" look even though they have lived in covers when not in use.

I'll say one thing for WoodyJ......That guy can clean anything. Rumor is he loves to wash his cars in the snow.....he's tough!

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Page 1 of 1