Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Original Surfaris vs. The Surfaris

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

I really like both groups but if I had to choose I would go for the Surfaris although not because of Wipe Out (cool song but probably wouldn't qualify in my surf instro top 50) but rather because of all their great vocals in addition to their instros.

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

although I agree with you that the Surfaris had some great vocals and instros.
And also put out way more material than the Original Surfaris.

I would have to go for sheer intensity factor as to why I like the
Original Surfaris.
some of their songs are just off the richter scale in my opinion as to what a surf song should be.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

This post has been removed by the author.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009 20:28:04

Original Surfaris - Gum Dipped Slicks, Torchula, Moment Of Truth......

bigtikidude
And also put out way more material than the Original Surfaris.

Counting instros only, there shouldn't be any significant difference in output as the Original Surfaris actually recorded over 30 instros. For the Surfaris instro output, I don't think their first album should be counted besides the Wipe Out track (only instro on it performed by them).

BTW, can someone tell the person who run the Original Surfaris MySpace, that he is using a photo of the other Surfaris Laughing

http://www.myspace.com/theoriginalsurfaris

T H E ✠ S U R F I T E S

haha, yeah, i was going to message them about it, but you can't message them right now for some reason.

SURFARIS!!! i haven't really gotten much into the original surfaris because every song i've heard from them besides Surfari i don't really like.

The Tremblors on Facebook!

The Tremblors on MySpace!

I surprised myself a bit with this one, and picked the Surfaris. Though Bombora is better by far than anything the Surfaris have, the rest of the stuff by the Original Surfaris is just OK. Failsafe is good, Surfari is OK, the original Moment of Truth is good. But the Surfaris have a LOT of great tracks:

Point Panic
Waikiki Run
Similau
Surfaris Stomp
Surf Scene
Scatter Shield
Murphy The Surfie
Dune Buggy
Hot Rody Graveyard
Big Surge
Burnin' Rubber
Storm Surf

And more! So, for me, the Surfaris have it!
Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

I love the surfaris, but love the few original surfaris songs I've heard

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

I can't really compare the two, sorry. But I saw the Surfari's at Coach House last week and WOW, they really smoked the house! Maybe it was a little loud for the more trad crew (?) but that's what I like. Excellent jam all the way around. Dusty sat in on a few and so did Bob Welsh, plus Ron's son on sax. Drummer is an excellent singer. What a great show, they should play more often. I couldn't understand why there was no mention on sg101 (?). class? anyone?

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

Linda of the Surfing Museum went to that show at the coach house.

But there was 3 other shows in So. Cal that night.
DD at the Malibu Inn,
The Verb from Seattle and the Tequilla worms at the Juke Joint in Anaheim

and Secret Samurai , The Allnighters (from Bellingham Wa.) and Daikaju from Alabama in San Diego at the Zombie Lounge.
Did you know about those 3 shows??

I try to see all the small guys shows, I only go see
DD, Surfaris, or Chantays if its Free now.
I've seen them 50 times or more
and it doesnt do it for me, like the smaller bands in a small bar.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff(bigtikidude)

There's not a whole lot of Surfaris material that does it for me aside from "Similau," "Point Panic," "Burnin' Rubber" and "Big Surge." Maybe "Waikiki Run" too, depending on what day of the week it is. For me their vocals range from a few I don't mind to a lot that I really do. (That version of "Hound Dog" needs to be taken out back and put out of its misery.)

"Surfari" and "Bombora" alone win my vote. "Moment of Truth," "Failsafe" and the rippin' version of "Exotic" don't hurt matters, either. And technically don't the Original Surfaris win this one because they didn't record "Punkline?" Stir the Pot

-Warren

That was excessively violent and completely unnecessary. I loved it.

Warren, you don't like Scatter Shield??? Murphy the Surfie? Storm Surf?

Punkline is pretty cool, I think. Smile

Ivan

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Storm Surf is an amazing song.

I am super sweet
www.myspace.com/thetremblors

Love them both, but gotta go with the Surfaris for these reasons:
1. Ron Wilson (the Dick Dale of Surf Drums). He invented it and did it best.
2. Jim Pash - my favorite surf sax player
3. Cool vocal songs. Hot Rod High, Black Denim, etc etc-sure there are some clunkers like Hound Dog, but what about the Astronauts?
4. I'm with Zak, they do my fav version of Miserlou.
5. The Surfaris scored one of the biggest surf hits ever and traveled more extensively than any other mostly instrumental surf band (I think) during the first wave. Way more influential and important in spreading the surf sound. Sure, now in the comfort of our 21st century we all have access to the super cool and obscure Original Surfaris through Sundazed etc, but at the time, the Surfaris were a worldwide act, while the Original Surfaris were barely known outside of Orange County.
6. They had that just a little bit out-of-tune sound! Very Happy

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Agree

Ron Wilson has always been one of my favorite surf drummers.
Agreed on all the other points too.

Paul
Atomic Mosquitos
Bug music for bug people is here!
Killers from Space

IvanP
Warren, you don't like Scatter Shield??? Murphy the Surfie? Storm Surf?

In order - it's okay, not really (way prefer the Joy Boys' version) and interesting 12-string sound but can't get into it.

IvanP
Punkline is pretty cool, I think

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

-Warren

Klas
BTW, can someone tell the person who run the Original Surfaris MySpace, that he is using a photo of the other Surfaris Laughing

I recently complained to Amazon about their complete conflation of the two groups. It did have the virtue of eliminating this difficult choice.

I think I prefer the Original Surfaris for

• Bombora #2,

• Surfari,

• their treatment of Exotic - not quite as high energy as the Sentinals', but still fine and more of the original melody (if the Sentinals had kept even those few seconds of Part B, their version would be perfect),

• their choice of material (Intoxica, Latinia, Vesuvius, Steel Pier), though I don't always like their versions as much as other folks'. I usually like the Sentinals', Revels', or Centurians' version of something more.

However, this is a pretty close choice, and I'm not very familiar with the full range of the Surfaris' material. I kind of hate to line up behind the "wrong" Wipe Out, even though I like both of them. (Still, I know which one is the right one.)

For some reason the Original Surfaris and Impacts sounds more like bands from north of L.A. Not sure I know enough to say that, however, and I'm not sure why I think it, other than the choice of material.

What are they playing in Steel Pier? One instrument almost sounds like a viola pizzicato.

tdsurf
I can't really compare the two, sorry.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's a natural comparison, if it weren't for the names. The Centurions or Impacts and the Original Surfaris strikes me as more likely, or the Surfaris and ...?

Tuck
For some reason the Original Surfaris and Impacts sounds more like bands from north of L.A. Not sure I know enough to say that, however, and I'm not sure why I think it, other than the choice of material.

Original Surfaris were from Orange County, 40 miles south of LA.

Tuck
What are they playing in Steel Pier? One instrument almost sounds like a viola pizzicato.

They had a steel guitarist - I forget if it's lap steel or pedal steel, though.

-Warren

CaptainSpringfield

Tuck

Original Surfaris were from Orange County, 40 miles south of LA.

Tuck

They had a steel guitarist - I forget if it's lap steel or pedal steel, though.

-Warren

The lap steel player was Martin somethingorother. He was with them in the 60s and again when they reunited. I bought a CD from Merrell Fankhauser a few years ago and he sent a copy with autographs of all the (then) current band members from the Impacts. Martin had recently passed away and Merrell still had one copy with the signatures, which was pretty cool of him to send.

Shawn Martin
http://www.drummerman.net
http://www.youtube.com/GKacedrummerman
http://www.facebook.com/drumuitar

Goto Page: 1 2 Next