Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Weber California Alnico vs Ceramic

Page 1 of 1

According to Weber's description, the Ceramic California "provides more punch and headroom". Isn't that exactly what we want for palm muting, and clean volume? On the other hand, the Alnico is what the original JBLs were. I have a SFTR. I bought a used Alnico Californa, and before I search for the 2nd one, it would be great to know that I made the best choice.I'm sure they both sound better than my Utahs, but the ceramics are almost twice the cost.

I can't play this thing! It's got no whammy bar!

Last edited: May 08, 2023 16:41:55

A lot of it (IMO) comes down to personal taste. I find ceramic speakers a little harsh - but that's exactly where the "punch" is. Is it possible to wire up the one speaker you got and try it out before you buy another one? That way you can decide if you dig it and go from there.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I already know that it will sound better than than the Utahs. Without doing a side by side with the ceramic and Alnico, I can't know what I'm gaining or losing. I was hoping for an opinion on experiences with these two speakers. You are correct, it's all about personal choice. Someone else's ears can hear a different sound entirely.

I can't play this thing! It's got no whammy bar!

You could wire up one of each

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

I've got several sets of vintage Jensen 12 inch speakers. Including a set of alnico P12Ns, and a set of ceramic C12Ns. I have A/B-ed each pair with two nearly-identical 212 cabs with the exact same guitar and set up. They both sound very good, but I prefer the ceramics for reverb. More drip and depth, slightly more bold. For the clean tone I think perhaps the alnicos sound a little more clear.

I say put one of each in your cab.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: May 10, 2023 23:44:59

I am not sure if this will help, but I have a "15 high powered Weber California in my cab. It is the special order 175 watt version. I absolutely love it, especially now that it has been broken in.

I got the kind with the aluminum dust cap on it, so I can hear the click of the pick. It can really take a beating, as I use it with my brownface Showman cranked to about 8.5 or so.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I recommend the alnico version. I had the ceramic California and it is a bit harsh and sterile.

I've owned 3 Weber speakers. I have a California ceramic 10" with aluminum dome in my PRRI and the same speaker with paper dome sitting in the box that it came in. I've switched back and forth a few times, but finally settled on the aluminum dome. It took some time to break in, but it sounds great now. I had a 12" Neomag in a DRRI and that was a fantastic sounding amp. Should never have sold it. If a Neomag was available in 10", that's what would be in my PRRI now.

taijiguy wrote:

I've owned 3 Weber speakers. I have a California ceramic 10" with aluminum dome in my PRRI and the same speaker with paper dome sitting in the box that it came in. I've switched back and forth a few times, but finally settled on the aluminum dome. It took some time to break in, but it sounds great now. I had a 12" Neomag in a DRRI and that was a fantastic sounding amp. Should never have sold it. If a Neomag was available in 10", that's what would be in my PRRI now.

I've had a Weber California ceramic 15" in my amp, for countless gigs over the past several years, and it has been a beauty, powered either by a Showman head, or a Quilter Mach 2, on the "Surf" setting.

dannylectro wrote:

I recommend the alnico version. I had the ceramic California and it is a bit harsh and sterile.

I respectfully disagree, ceramic (aluminum dust cap) sounds amazing once broken in. If I had the alnico version, I would blow it within the first week. I once blew a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang, smoke was coming out of the cabinet. To each their own though. Smile

SixStringSurfer wrote:

dannylectro wrote:

I respectfully disagree, ceramic (aluminum dust cap) sounds amazing once broken in. If I had the alnico version, I would blow it within the first week. I once blew a 12" Eminence Swamp Thang, smoke was coming out of the cabinet. To each their own though. Smile

The ceramic does require a long break-in time, but I've heard that you can request Weber to break them in for you.

"You can also use a variac (variable output transformer) to break them in. The variac puts out a 60 cycle hum that moves the speaker parts similar to a bass guitar in the low E and A strings. The bass frequencies move the speaker more than the treble frequencies, so they're preferable to break in from my tests.Feb 8, 2016

Speaker Break In & How to DIY - Metropoulos Forum
Metropoulos Amplification"

Question… would the 12” Weber California ceramic with paper cap give a nice drip in a closed back cab? Or is the aluminum cap definitely the way to go?

I do use a Tone Bender every now and then, so I hope it wouldn’t sound too shrill with the aluminum cap.

I want to hear Caravan with a drum solo.

Are used to think the aluminum dust cap meant better drips, but all Jensen speakers drip better than JBLs and they have a little paper dust cap. I also think the alcino sounds more spiky than ceramic. I had a JBL 15" speaker reconed with a cloth dust cap, and it sounded muddy and terrible. Good for bass I guess.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

all Jensen speakers drip better than JBLs and they have a little paper dust cap.

Which model of Jensen do you recommend? Budget is $150 - I have an empty 12” closed back cab. Thanks for any info

If you are talking about 12s you could also consider evm 12s.
Plenty of power and headroom, not coloring your sound.
Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

I just bought the 15" speaker that Surfer Joe says is phenomenal, so I may have a well broken in (but in excellent condition) ceramic Weber California up for sale soon.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2023 16:42:08

Just received a Weber California ceramic 12” with paper cap. Prob going to swap into a closed back cab tonight. Looking forward to testing!

Page 1 of 1