Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Surfin' The Great Lakes LP for RSD

Page 1 of 1

Only available (for the time being) for Record Store Day (RSD) on 22 April. Pressed on light blue vinyl, with 16 killer surf instrumentals and garage rock tracks, some previously unreleased (a few in stereo for the first time), and liner notes by yours truly, this is an exceptional collection. Contact your local record store to see if they'll have this on the 22nd.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Last edited: Apr 15, 2023 17:32:45

It's on my list! Wish that Chantays LP would come out on the same day too.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

That's an amazing release indeed. Ordered and waiting! Cheers, Andy

www.LosVenturas.be

DUDE!!! Great to know that will be out for RSD, I'll keep an eye out for it! Hopefully my local shop will carry it.

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I definitely need to find a copy of this one. These were all recorded in Minneapolis (my new home!). It will be so cool to listen to the local surf/instro scene of those years.

Go here to hear samples of the tunes. They sound rad!

https://sundazed.com/surfin-the-great-lakes-kay-bank-studio-surf-sides-of-the-1960s-sea-glass-blue-vinyl-record-store-day-2023.aspx

Last edited: Apr 17, 2023 16:55:48

So I struck out on Saturday and couldn't find this. Anyone have a spare copy they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price?

Of course, some a-hole already put one up for $95 on ebay and discogs. Whatever

I’ll check the 2 record stores on my route on Thursday.
They only let me buy one.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Is this not available for purchase online?

Where can I find this in Portland Oregon?

My understanding is that Sundazed plans to release this comp on CD later this year.

www.johnblair.us
www.soundofthesurf.com

Thanks for that insight John - it's great news!

I'm pretty sure I've seen these in my local stores. If anybody would like a copy I'll send it to you for whatever it costs me to buy & ship.

I managed to score a copy on RSD. It's pretty good! The sound levels are a bit ... inconsistent, like it wasn't totally mastered to even out the loud bands and the soft bands, if that makes sense. Most of the songs are good, all of the songs are fun!

--
Project: MAYHEM by Hypersonic Secret now available!

I struck out on RSD here in Las Vegas, but was back up in my native Bay Area in June, and luckily found one copy left at Amoeba Music.

A great release! Glad I found it, as I refuse to pay the flippers… and I never knew that Minneapolis, Minnesota was considered to be in the Great Lakes region.

It features one vocal - "Girl Don´t Tell Me" by The The Satisfactions.
The BEACH BOYS had released it on their "Summer Days and Summer Nights " album. In Germany it was also the flip side of "Barbara Ann".
There are some really outstanding tracks on it... you can listen to it again and again! Great job done once again, John!

I figured this was bumped because it had escaped RSD and was now purchaseable. Well it is!

https://sundazedmusic.bandcamp.com/album/surfin-the-great-lakes-kay-bank-studio-surf-sides-of-the-1960s-2

I played a fair amount of this while DJing at tiki oasis yesterday
Gotta say. It’s all really good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Page 1 of 1