Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink So, what Wave are we currently in, in 2022?

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Asking those who have documented these incredible past 20+ years, volatile waves of worldwide surf music, where are we now? And, what are the (maybe new) delineators for each of the wave segments since Dick?

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022 19:38:45

Hi Bill,
3rd wave (IMO)
1st '58-'65
2nd "79-'84
3rd '88-89(insect surfers and Mermen) to present..
experts and historians check me for accuracy.
thanks,
Gary

1st wave = ~7 years
2nd wave = ~5 years
3rd wave = ~34 years

Math checks out. Wink

Bango Rilla!

DiPintos, Fenders and Reverb (oh, my!)

The GO-GO Rillas
Bandcamp | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube | TikTok | Threads: thegogorillas

Considering the state of the planet, I'd say we're in the last wave.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022 16:29:49

3rd Wave definitely started around 1987/88 with Insect Surfers, Los Straitjackets, continuing with Laika, the Space Cossacks, and so many more.

But, I almost feel like there was a changing of surf around 2010 - 2015 or so, but I haven't been able to really nail down what I'm feeling changed.

Maybe the 4th Wave is the International Tsunami Wave or the World of Surf wave. So many bands, so many styles, from so many countries, coming at us at an unrelenting pace; it's hard to keep up with all the new surf music out there on a weekly basis.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022 18:48:00

Deke said Untamed youth started in 86.
And that they didn’t feel like part of the 2nd wave.

Phantom Surfers started in 88.
same for them not feeling like 2nd wave.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Dec 01, 2022 19:54:14

And then there is this: Shock
Seems like a tad of cross over in waves.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Due to no memory, I can't remember exact dates but in the late 80's and early 90's, finding surf anywhere wasn't easy. With the advent of the internet, I was able to find some sources. There was some guy in Utah that had some stuff and I found Phil Dirt. I listened to his show on dial up. Then I found POP records with Ference and Deep Eddy records with Ted James. Since then, there has been a steady stream of music and bands. I don't care what number it is, I'm just thankful that it is. Smile I never thought I would have music from around the world. When NSSR was up, the exposure was wonderful. The dj's from everywhere was a delight to no end. I hope it keeps going so the rest of the world can see what we have. Smile

The guy in Utah was probably Bob Dalley from the Surf Raiders

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sorry, for the late response. I had to leave the country quickly ha-ha. Thanks for the interesting perspectives. I believe we are in a new 4th wave, that started in the teens, mostly because of the new generation Z's bands embracing and interpretations of surf. I have a declination mark. I think the fourth wave started with one band - Daikaiju. With their unbelievable hard rocking prog-like surf music and never-ending touring, they brought surf to the millennial and gen Z masses. (Saw them here a month ago).

Here in Duval, we have some cool new surf bands. The Creepy Tikis are wild. I miss playing out.

Shoot the Pier on Bandcamp
Shoot the Pier on Reverb Nation
Shoot The Pier on Facebook
We are on Instagram under "@shootthepiersurfband"

My Country EP ... Florida Dirt Fire
https://floridadirtfire.bandcamp.com/album/florida-dirt-fire

My French Love Songs ... I really needed a change...
www.lonelyrose.bandcamp.com

I talked to Rick of the Halibuts. He said they never stopped playing in the late 80s like John Blair did. They may not have had a release between live at Toes and their cds in the 90s. But they kept going from early 80s till
Pete left to join the straitjackets. Even a few reunions over the years.
I still wish for them to play SG101. Such a fun band. When they played in South Bay, lots of real surfers dancing at their shows.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Dec 02, 2022 09:19:09

SurferBill wrote:

Sorry, for the late response. I had to leave the country quickly ha-ha. Thanks for the interesting perspectives. I believe we are in a new 4th wave, that started in the teens, mostly because of the new generation Z's bands embracing and interpretations of surf. I have a declination mark. I think the fourth wave started with one band - Daikaiju. With their unbelievable hard rocking prog-like surf music and never-ending touring, they brought surf to the millennial and gen Z masses. (Saw them here a month ago).

Here in Duval, we have some cool new surf bands. The Creepy Tikis are wild. I miss playing out.

I also vote for the 4th wave. It’s all became different with internet, streamers, digital home studios and other stuff. Now you may record album on iPad and it will be pretty decent. Literally so many surf releases annually that you cannot listen to them all, who could imagine it in 90th for example?

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

New Single is out!

https://waikikimakaki.bandcamp.com/album/rhino-blues-full-contact-surf-single

Waikiki Makaki

https://linktr.ee/waikikimakaki

Lost Diver

https://lostdiver.bandcamp.com
https://soundcloud.com/vitaly-yakushin

Last edited: Dec 02, 2022 09:06:16

SurferBill wrote:

I believe we are in a new 4th wave, that started in the teens, mostly because of the new generation Z's bands embracing and interpretations of surf... I think the fourth wave started with one band - Daikaiju.

I think they may have influenced some of the bands, the gen z bands, but overall that's not the sound I'm hearing from most of the new releases. So yes they were definitely the next thing, and definitely kicked started some of the younger bands, but I think they were just a part, a small part of the the 4th Wave.

Ugh, now I've probably opened a theoretical can of worms. Oh well, just my opinion, not fact. I am definitely not qualified to be a surf music historian as I'm so heavily influenced by East Coast and European surf bands that tend to sway to more melodic content plus lack a good working knowledge of 1st - 3rd waves.
Just a guitarist who writes surf... Big Grin

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Dec 02, 2022 12:34:37

Speaking of surf music historians, I'd like to hear some input on this topic from John Blair and JonPaul.

Patrick

Clearly we're in the "nth wave" as it's all over the board now. "Waves" in music to me, refers to a time period that has specific commonalities, such as sound (timbre, tempo, feel) or geography. Like ska 1st wave, all Jamaica; 2nd wave British, and 3rd wave being Op Ivy punkish. But that's just me. I also agree with 4th wave of surf.

Daniel Deathtide

I used to think 3rd wave with Pulp Fiction but now I just kind of think 2 waves... original and revival in the late 70's early 80's to present.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

I used to think 3rd wave with Pulp Fiction but now I just kind of think 2 waves... original and revival in the late 70's early 80's to present.

i agree with Brian, first and second wave.

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Call me crazy, but IMO (and everyone has one), we’re not in any wave of surf music. There’s never been a time when surf music was as present in popular culture as it was during the early 1960s before The Beatles appeared. It was part of the retro pop cultural zeitgeist during the mid 1990s due in no small part to the popularity of Pulp Fiction and it’s sound track which everyone had along with the grunge band CDs of the day. The handful of indie bands already playing surf/instro music, an aspect of indie rock that had been gaining momentum for over a decade, were not household names and did not suddenly have songs in charts.

Going back further, starting in the very late 1970s when surf music begins to appear again it’s more of a sonic influence on punk rock bands rather than a genre itself. The Dead Kenedys and Agent Orange, to name the obvious, are both surfy as heck but they aren’t surf bands. John Blair and bands like The Raybeats (who begat Los Straitjackets), The Halibuts and Lawndale, arguably truly surf or close to it, seem more like outliers in the 1980s rather than part of a larger happening. It makes more sense to say that surf was a component of “new wave” rather than its own wave because that guitar sound and way of playing pops up all over the place (bad pop music and hair bands not withstanding). As with pretty much all the interesting music of the past 45 years, it took the punk rock thing to open it up and create the space where things like retro instrumental rock bands could happen and exist as more than a fad (the ultimate culmination of the influence of surf in the post punk years, to my ears, is the Pixies and they even influenced Nirvana). Deke Dickerson wrote an article (I don’t remember where It was) about surf where he categorized the original surf rockers as the true first wave of punk rock due to it being a raw, loud, DIY thing being played by very young kids. From that point of view it makes sense that surf flourished in indie scenes following the punk explosion.

Perhaps it is easy to get the impression that there is more of an “nth wave” of surf than there actually is because everything is so hyper-curated and it’s easier for like minded people from around the world to find each other. For the passed thirty years it seemed like there’s always a surf-ish band or two in a scene. Now, because recording is easier than ever and people can go on the internet and participate in communities such as this forum, it’s easier for that surf band or two to be connected to other enthusiasts. It creates the impression that there is a big new wave of surf music happening. What’s really going on might be more along the lines of like minded people being in a position to keep checking each other out and getting inspired rather having their tastes dictated by record companies. That’s not a 2nd, 3rd or 4th wave. It’s more like a small river that keeps flowing.

The Vicissitones
Diesel Marine
The Rasputones

Last edited: Dec 05, 2022 09:05:51

Agree with a lot of ElectricLimnology's thoughts. I understand the want to ascribe a wave to right now because it feels like surf is doing pretty well. I think it is! But if you can't define a groundswell or a peak, then I don't think there is one. I mean if we have to ask, then there you go.

Surfrajettes are probably the biggest viral sensation this genre has seen in a long time and they're still on Hi-Tide.

I think this is a fantastic time for surf music. I'm terrified at the fact that I'm about to try to sum up this year for the Gremmys -- there was a staggering amount of good stuff. I think little by little it's becoming less of a music by and for old old dudes. But it's a slow sea level rise. It's safer that way, less we experience another GREAT SURF CRASH on the other end of the wave

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Last edited: Dec 04, 2022 22:57:33

Well said Electric Limnology and kudos to Hunter for all the great things he does for surf fans and musicians.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Goto Page: 1 2 Next