Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
76 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Who plays 14s, and where do you get your sets?

Goto Page: Previous 1 2

Redfeather wrote:

I wouldn't worry so much about having the tensions all equal. Dick Dale's set is wildly uneven and it worked fine for him for 6 decades. I mean the Beast probably had that uneven tension on its neck constantly since the 60s.

Right, except that I do have an 80s Japanese strat that ended up pretty warped on the low string side, my guess is because the set was uneven. It can't intonate at all and is not playable. That guitar had a set of 12 - 54s on it; but working the string calculator revealed it was a very uneven set. I also wonder if Dick Dale's 60s Strat had a much better neck. Perhaps I don't have to worry with my sturdy American guitars. I really don't want the necks to warp. Also I am just very curious if there is any consensus on what constitutes a matched set? I'm guessing within 10% or 15 %.

Daniel Deathtide

I think a slight imbalance will be fine, as long as it's a good neck. Like you're saying Death. I bought a massive all flat-wound set a decade ago on a strat I have, and it's remained fine ever since. I just can't find where to get BIG all flat-wound strings. Not trying to hijack the topic, just hoping this can be the end of my quest. Sounds like you're interested in that too, Death.

Well I wrote a nice reply with a bunch of data but then accidentally hit back and then another link and lost it all. I posted on TDPRI about the tolerance.

Seems I want a .013 - .059 set.

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Nov 03, 2022 18:37:41

Welp, I bit the bullet and went with D'Addarios nickel wounds:

.0135 - 26.13
.020 - 27.24
.026 - 29.06
.034 - 27.78
.046 - 27.58
.060 - 26.95

I did not want to get to .060 but as you can see that's the best match. I really wanted to go to .014 but that was too much. I found a calculator that said it was based on the old D'Addario calculator.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

Goto Page: Previous 1 2