Shoutbox

Clint: The Clint Beachwood Show can now be heard at https://soun... .... A new show will be posted every Monday.
109 days ago

PatGall: Surf guitar
76 days ago

Pirecords: Hellllloooo people of Earth
60 days ago

TheOutpost: strap
60 days ago

ArtS: Spam Formum posts this morning. Do not click.
60 days ago

Floyd: Tremolo
53 days ago

bigtikidude: Who’s coming to SG101?
37 days ago

Jojobaplant: Second Magnatech album on Sharawaji in a few weeks on CD and Vinyl!
25 days ago

jimbones: New stuff coming from the Men in Gray Suits REALLY SOON!
21 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Looking forward to SG102 2022
14 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Videos »

Permalink 9 styles of Surf Rock

New Topic
Page 1 of 1

Hi folks, hope it's okay we post this "9 styles" of surf rock here. This is something we posted on a local online music video competition, hoping that we would qualify to play in the annual summer beach concert of our town. If so, we can once again try to bring back surf music to our town after 50 years!!!!

We hope these simple tunes can wake up people's "ancient" dreams and perhaps pick up the guitar again. These songs from over half a century ago are still very cool and fun to play even today!!! After the 4-style surf rock demo we did last year, we present to you this summer the "global 9 styles" of surf rock:

  1. Uncle Sam's
  2. Borscht
  3. Country Chicken Picking
  4. Abbey Road 1 stone 2 birds
  5. Champs-Élysées
  6. Cactus Country- El Estilo de Gumbas
  7. Dracula's Hometown
  8. Manchurian
  9. Ginza

I know, it is just a catchy subject line, as u all know there is no such thing as "9 styles" or 4 styles of surf rock. You know we wanted to bring back surf rock to our town So I created the "9 styles" based on the origin of some of these songs, hoping that people will be interested enough. After all, many of our audiences find surf music a novelty ;p

So this is a compilation of some of the surf songs we've done from the past few months. Hope you like it!

Cheers!

PangPang

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022 13:21:51

Great video and what a fun performance! Love it, thanks for sharing!

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1sTg2JTKUZ3Vlu44gW2OYA
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

Samurai wrote:

Great video and what a fun performance! Love it, thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Samurai! I did some small research and know borscht is an Ukrainian cuisine, and lyrics for Dark Eyes were written by poet and writer Yevgeny Grebyonka (Yevhen Hrebinka) who was of Ukrainian origin. In Chinese, the description I put there says Ukrainian borscht style surf rock...hope it is acceptable. Wink

Exactly) 2 styles out of 9 are Ukrainian!) You may check my topic of Ukrainian surf music here by the way if you want!

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1sTg2JTKUZ3Vlu44gW2OYA
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

That was a lot of fun. I’ve always been interested in the various ethnic influences upon music, and Surf seems to have a lot of sources. Dick Dale was Lebanese, for example and I’ve seen other Middle Eastern, Balkan and Central European sources. I didn’t realize that Besame Mucho had been composed in Mexico. The influence of Spain can certainly be heard in a lot of Surf.

As always, your daughter is playing very well, and seems to have a lot of fun. Thanks for posting this.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Thanks, Synchro! I hope we will be able to come up with Asian style surf one day soon. I have seen a bit of Asian styled surf rock, Japanese for sure. After all, surf is still popular to some to Japan and the passion seems to be kept quite well there. ;-)))

PangPang wrote:

Thanks, Synchro! I hope we will be able to come up with Asian style surf one day soon. I have seen a bit of Asian styled surf rock, Japanese for sure. After all, surf is still popular to some to Japan and the passion seems to be kept quite well there. ;-)))

Being partially of Asian descent, I would like that too. I wasn’t raised in an Asian ethnic culture, so I know very little about the music. My early years were spent in Minnesota, so I mostly heard polkas and Country music. Smile I’ll be looking forward to whatever you come up with.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022 11:18:44

synchro wrote:

PangPang wrote:

Thanks, Synchro! I hope we will be able to come up with Asian style surf one day soon. I have seen a bit of Asian styled surf rock, Japanese for sure. After all, surf is still popular to some to Japan and the passion seems to be kept quite well there. ;-)))

Being partially of Asian descent, I would like that too. I wasn’t raised in an Asian ethnic culture, so I know very little about the music. My early years were spent in Minnesota, so I mostly heard polkas and Country music. Smile I’ll be looking forward to whatever you come up with.

Will tell Mina this and i'll ask her to come up with something..."on a double"!!! Smile

Page 1 of 1
Top