Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: My new vinyl is available now!!!!
123 days ago

SurfinUsa2007: Everybody’s Gone Surfin!
118 days ago

ArtS: Can't wait til Spring!!!
75 days ago

Clint: The Clint Beachwood Show can now be heard at https://soun... .... A new show will be posted every Monday.
74 days ago

PatGall: Surf guitar
41 days ago

Pirecords: Hellllloooo people of Earth
25 days ago

TheOutpost: strap
25 days ago

ArtS: Spam Formum posts this morning. Do not click.
25 days ago

Floyd: Tremolo
18 days ago

bigtikidude: Who’s coming to SG101?
2 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

63%

63%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink 6g15 Fender Reverb ri optimization

Page 1 of 1

So, how do I get this reissue unit to sound more like my old blackface 6G15? I replaced the driver tube with a NOS RCA 6K6. I can’t say I hear that much of a difference.

I’ve heard tales of replacing the circuit board for a more vintage accurate PTP board, but I don’t know where to find someone who rebuilds these darn things. Any tips?

What about the tank? Is the stock fender ok, or should I get a surfy bear spring tank for it?

Jill Martini & The Shrunken Heads

Last edited: May 13, 2022 09:41:08

And I know there have been previous threads on this, but most of that info is 10-15 years old. There may be new tricks and products that have come to light since then.

I have an unused hand-wired circuit board from a Gomez G-Spring, a person could install that (or something similar) in place of the printed Fender board.

I had one of those installed in my reissue unit. It did improve the sound, made it less brittle.
Mind you, my reissue unit also had jacks replaced, pan replaced to vintage Gibbs, c10 cap mod with toggle switch for 3 values, NOS tubes. All of these were done separately, not at the same time. Two of the most effective changes were: the 12AT7 was replaced with an NOS RCA tube, and the pan replaced to a vintage Gibbs.
Still, after all these changes, it doesn't sound as good as my magic 1965 unit, nor my Texotica (with a Gibbs pan).
So, I suggest, start with the pan, then the 12AT7, and if still not happy, look for something else.

Good luck,
Ran

FritzCat wrote:

I have an unused hand-wired circuit board from a Gomez G-Spring, a person could install that (or something similar) in place of the printed Fender board.

The Scimitars

I agree with Ran. Look into the new surfypan, they're quite good.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF

"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

Surfypan, check
NOS 12AT7, check

what’s with the jacks?

The jacks are for reliability, not for tone.
My pan reccomendation was based on your original question.

Ran

The Scimitars

My '63 Reverb came with a USA Accutronics pan. It has good drip, but is kind of clangy/metallic.

I swapped in a a 2019 Accutronics (Korea) pan, and it sounded smooth and very lush/cavernous, but doesn't drip very well.

I recently scored a 1969 Gibbs pan, and it sounds head and shoulders better than either Accutronics pan. It has the lushness of the Korean pan, and tons of drip, and sounds wonderfully 3D.

If you want THEE sound as heard on the old records, you gotta find a Gibbs!

Last edited: May 16, 2022 14:11:10

Was Gibbs the manufacturer of the original tanks Fender used?

Yes

The Scimitars

Tele295 wrote:

So, how do I get this reissue unit to sound more like my old blackface 6G15? I replaced the driver tube with a NOS RCA 6K6. I can’t say I hear that much of a difference.

I've come to the conclusion you can't. I had an originally 64 Blackface reverb unit, it was GREAT. Foolishly sold it and tried at least 5 reissues chasing that sound. I never could, so I just went True Spring pedal at this point.

Tele295 wrote:

Was Gibbs the manufacturer of the original tanks Fender used?

Be advised that you need to find a Gibbs pan with the correct input and output impedance, which can be a bit challenging.

See: https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/32671/

Page 1 of 1