Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: My new vinyl is available now!!!!
123 days ago

SurfinUsa2007: Everybody’s Gone Surfin!
118 days ago

ArtS: Can't wait til Spring!!!
75 days ago

Clint: The Clint Beachwood Show can now be heard at https://soun... .... A new show will be posted every Monday.
74 days ago

PatGall: Surf guitar
41 days ago

Pirecords: Hellllloooo people of Earth
25 days ago

TheOutpost: strap
25 days ago

ArtS: Spam Formum posts this morning. Do not click.
24 days ago

Floyd: Tremolo
18 days ago

bigtikidude: Who’s coming to SG101?
2 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

63%

63%

Donate Now

SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink New Surf Day: Squier 60's Jag Charcoal Frost + Surfy Bear

New Topic
Page 1 of 1

Finally had the cash to drop on the Surfy Bear and the new Ltd Charcoal Squier Jag! Cool

Very pleased with both! And while I'm happy with the pickups and twangy tones of the Jag I have to ask the obligatory...

1) Will putting .11 medium flat wounds dampen that twang?

2) Is it worth upgrading the pickups? I honestly don't think I will, although I'm really just using the neck pickup, (I think!) so if there's a set that brings out something great on all the other switching options I might be tempted.

image

Last edited: May 11, 2022 09:03:09

Nice setup!

  1. Yes it may, so if you feel the sound is too bright just try it.
  2. As for me Jaguar is more about both pickups or bridge, but I never played 60th Squier. I guess some Fender or SD pickups surely may give more sound and variety, but it will be like 1/2 or even 2/3 of this guitar price…so may be you could tell what you do not like here in bridge position or both?

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1sTg2JTKUZ3Vlu44gW2OYA
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

Thanks. Reverb into a Rat is always nice and trashy.

I like the brightness of the Jag, so I'll probably stick some regular roundwound 10's on there and give a bit of a setup. These are okay out the box, but need tweaking for intonation, and there's a few scuffs on the edges of the fretboard, but hopefully that'll come out with some lemon oil.

I've had a Squier Jazzmaster before and put Seymour Duncan Antiquities in it, and while they were better, they weren't amazing. My other guitar is an Epiphone Dot and I stuck in some cheap Tonerider pickups in there that I'm totally fine with, so I'm not a tone-snob, but... I might keep an eye out for some Creamery Jag pickups if I'm not happy with the new strings and setup.

I've not played Squier Jaguars, but based on my vintage Jag, the bridge pickup should give you a nice biting and bright sound that is great for garage rock sounds - somewhat thicker sounding than strat bridge pickups. The neck + bridge combo is great for surf, and also for the sound of early Cramps songs. So if I had one of those Squiers, that's what I'd hope it would sound like, but I'd give it some time to see if it gives me other suitable sounds before changing out the pickups.

squier jaguar bridge is ludicrously hot compared to the neck. keep that in mind. i didn’t mind the neck pickup at all on my squier, but didn’t like the bridge. currently I have a set of Fender PV 65 Jaguar pickups and love them in a parts Jag i threw together.

Snufkino wrote:

Thanks. Reverb into a Rat is always nice and trashy.

I like the brightness of the Jag, so I'll probably stick some regular roundwound 10's on there and give a bit of a setup. These are okay out the box, but need tweaking for intonation, and there's a few scuffs on the edges of the fretboard, but hopefully that'll come out with some lemon oil.

I've had a Squier Jazzmaster before and put Seymour Duncan Antiquities in it, and while they were better, they weren't amazing. My other guitar is an Epiphone Dot and I stuck in some cheap Tonerider pickups in there that I'm totally fine with, so I'm not a tone-snob, but... I might keep an eye out for some Creamery Jag pickups if I'm not happy with the new strings and setup.

The idea of good pickups on a cheap guitar isn’t always working as for me, as pickups are just a part of the the overall resonance and frequencies from wood and other stuff. But you surely should try to find your option!

Waikiki Makaki surf-rock band from Ukraine

https://www.facebook.com/waikikimakaki/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1sTg2JTKUZ3Vlu44gW2OYA
https://soundcloud.com/waikiki-makaki

Snufkino wrote:

Finally had the cash to drop on the Surfy Bear and the new Ltd Charcoal Squier Jag! Cool

Very pleased with both! And while I'm happy with the pickups and twangy tones of the Jag I have to ask the obligatory...

1) Will putting .11 medium flat wounds dampen that twang?

2) Is it worth upgrading the pickups? I honestly don't think I will, although I'm really just using the neck pickup, (I think!) so if there's a set that brings out something great on all the other switching options I might be tempted.

image

Hi,

I have got the silver sparkle one and I am more than surprised about the quality. Especially the pickups work really good for me. I play 99,7% surf music.
Bridge is great, overall feeling very good! I don´t have to change anything on this guitar!

If you only play neck pickup I suggest you to get an old (1965 or 1966) Fender Mustang.

I made a video about the Jag, where you can hear the Jag with 9-42 strings.
Meanwhile I have got 12-52 flatwounds on it, which works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyIYWAllFfc

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Man, that silver sparkle gave me a bad case of GAS. The $123 shipping charge from a Reverb seller quickly cured it.

Very cool color, never seen that before on a Jag.

Guitar player for The Driptones surf band.
https://www.driptones.com/

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Very cool color, never seen that before on a Jag.

But... you know Dave Wronski (Slacktone)?
He is painting his self build Jags since years in those sparkle colors.
But not silver sparkle, yes.
He did a kind of champagne or gold/silver sparkle with a slightly touch of green, wonderful!
check out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JniPrabvb-8

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Page 1 of 1
Top