Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » The Shallow End »

Permalink genuine Question about the Ukraine Posts

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Hey Everyone. Although I am blessed to live in a South Pacific paradise I do sometimes miss stuff due to the time differences and the tyranny of distance. So, i look today and the Ukraine posts have all gone. Did I miss something?

Hi Sig, Yes. As much as we sympathize with Vitaly, We feel that SG101 is not the proper place to engage in discussions about world events. There are a multitude of other places on the internet to do so. Samurai aka Vitaly Yakushin is active on Facebook and you can catch up with him on there.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Yes.. the more information forums there are, it seems the more selective they can be. It used to be that we wrote each other letters and they just weren't public enough to get an idea out.
Now we have public forums but forum content is filtered and censured.
The more things change, the more they just stay the same.
It's one reason I just don't bother all that much.
This message may self-destruct within 24 hours.
J Mo'

Last edited: Mar 02, 2022 12:21:46

DannySnyder wrote:

We feel that SG101 is not the proper place to engage in discussions about world events.

"We"???
No.
I feel something else, and I know, many other people here feel something else.

An active member of "our" community asked for help and humanity.

...without words...

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

I have to say that I strongly disagree with the decision of deleting the post of Vitaly.

This is recognised as the greatest and heaviest and most dangerous crisis since WWII and it's not exactly a political post which would make no sense on a music forum. This is a person, member of this community, friend to many of us, who is in serious difficulties, who wants to share his thoughts and possibly find support and comfort also here from all of us. This guy 1 month ago was on a stage playing his Strat and now he may have to handle a gun instead. And around here in Europe we are all shitting in our pants.

So YES, if this is a community of friends, that post belongs HERE.

You are free to delete this message of course.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

Story time kids! Popcorn

A person walks into a small town bar. Let's call him Josh. Josh is frequent at this bar, and everyone knows him to be a cool guy. A mensch actually - always buys a round.

Josh has a problem though, his little kid has been molested, and police practically did nothing about it, just dismissed him for 'lack of public interest'. Sure, forms have been filled, stern officers made stern faces, but you know, resources. The only description Josh's kid gave of his assailant is that he had a glorious mustache.

Now a person who adorns such a mustache is sitting at the bar, everybody knows him well enough too, let's call him Frank. Josh spots Frank, points at him, and starts complaining to the bar owner "how could you let this sick, pedophile sit here, where's your morals?". Frank only nods, feeling that he doesn't really have to prove at this point to anyone that he doesn't diddle kids. Josh starts making a ruckus. The whole bar tries to comfort him knowing how horrible he must feel, sharing his grievance over what happened to his son. They allow him to air his frustration, knowing if the same thing happened to them they'd be extra emotional too.

Bar owner intervenes "Sure, if we see him in the deed or get proof he touches kids we'll kick his ass, call the cops and while waiting kick his ass again, but I, WE know Frank to be cool, and either way mustaches aren't THAT uncommon. We have a policy at the bar, don't be an asshole. You're welcome to drink here anytime Josh, we love you, but Frank is too. You're bringing us all down with your mustache accusations. We're not a law enforcement agency, we're here for the beer. You just can't attack another customer like that, we're all cool here and want to keep it this way".

Josh accepts that, exactly because he really is very moral driven, and has common sense. He doesn't want to alienate his friends. Josh walks out of the bar to find the real perpetrator, while everybody's cheering him and offer help to kick the pedo's ass, all the while promising to keep an eye on Frank (who sits silently) and his dubious mustache.

In comes J., shouting "This is America! Haven't you heard about free speech?!!!"

Last edited: Mar 02, 2022 14:31:20

Sorry, but I really feel like I need to express something here. Obviously this is a touchy subject and has pushed some buttons, but it should be known how some on this forum feel about the deletion of these posts.

This is an unprecedented situation that we are all having to live through right now. The fact that we HAD an active member providing regular updates and real-time reports from ground zero was incredibly helpful and insightful for anyone that actually cared to know.

Those threads weren't about politics, they were about humanity and the fact that "one of our own" was right in the middle of it transcended an anti-politics stance. This was an opportunity for us all to get closer as human beings, above and beyond our nationalities and deeper than just our shared interest in surf guitar. This was putting real voices and people behind the headlines and providing some much-needed perspective.

Those threads were predominantly positive and to be perfectly honest, the way members were engaging on a personal and human level was inspiring, and a real breath of fresh air on here in general. This was proving that surf music really is an international language that brings us all together in a wonderful way. For the first time in a long time, folks weren't bickering about trivial details about gear, they were connecting on a deeper level--bonding over fear and a human desire to avoid the murder and violence.

This was a kind of ultimate example of what a forum like this is supposed to be at the core--humans connecting and sharing. At the end of the day, don't we all really want it to be the international "family" that we call it? Aren't we adult enough to have this kind of discussion on here without it being deleted?

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Maybe you guys didn't see the replies he was getting?

I asked and begged to stay on topic, to keep it about Vitaly. I wanted to hear the updates too. I care about Vitaly and Ukraine.

But it went into the dumpster fire.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Maybe you guys didn't see the replies he was getting?

I asked and begged to stay on topic, to keep it about Vitaly. I wanted to hear the updates too. I care about Vitaly and Ukraine.

But it went into the dumpster fire.

I did follow the whole thread and no, it did not went into the dumpster fire. You should be ashamed of yourself, Brian. I am out!

The Hicadoolas

I was blown away by Ralf's offer to help directly, in person.

I regret deleting the thread. I should have perhaps just deleted the outrageous replies or locked it for a time. However I don't enjoy spending my free time moderating foes in a geo-political conflict.

I dunno guys. I'm kind of over my head here.

SanchoPansen wrote:

I did follow the whole thread and no, it did not went into the dumpster fire. You should be ashamed of yourself, Brian. I am out!

Good. This is like the 3rd time you've announced you are done here. So please don't come back.

I could have a rant but I'm lost for words about this.

All I can think of saying to the admin is 'go fuck yourselves' I hope you never have to ask for help.

Brian, we can never thank you enough for the work you do to keep this forum going. This is indeed a unique situation. Is there anyone who can contact Vitaly and ask him to come back with a new post? As Jonpaul said, this is a unique opportunity to help a brother in need and to keep tabs on how he and his family are doing. If anyone gets vicious with a post, Brian, you can just delete it to keep the focus on Vitaly and his family.

Patrick

I agree with Brian, and I also understand the backlash he’s getting. It’s a shitty situation but in no way is this website to blame. You realize all of the gripes add up to “I’m not allowed to get into flame wars about this awful situation that has nothing to do with surf on the world’s #1 surf site, so I’m leaving and you’re the Devil.” Come on folks, you used to be better than that.

Brian - you’re aces and I’m impressed at your decisive action. It had to be done.

I was very appreciative to read Samurai’s posts, very important stuff. But then it got all personal and it stopped being interesting or productive.

Daniel Deathtide

There is no excuse for the backlash whatsoever. Pure unhinged childishness on display. It's the generation of "me and my feelings!" It's a sickness, and highlights exactly why we have no business discussing it here whatsoever. Bravery isn't being an armchair commando. Silliness.

I'm just praying and hoping for safety for Vitaly, his family, Kyyv, the Ukraine, Europe, everywhere else, Earth. But tonight is what looks like the real shit for Vitaly. He is on Facebook, sending him posts and messages is a positive thing we can do if so inclined. What's done is done here and hopefully we all live to see peace again and tell each other to fuck off for years to come.

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Wow, look what I came home from work to. I think all angles have been covered pretty well. I like how someone with 4 post here felt he had the authority to tell US to fuck off. I hope all of you except Turbotripper realize we're trying to the best we can in an unprecedented situation. I hate those Russian fuckers as much as any of you, I hope Putin burns in hell and the sooner the later. As far as I'm concerned, if you're Russian and you support this action in any way you can join him there.

I'm following Vitaly on Facebook I recommend you do as well.

Danny Snyder

_

I'm kind of sad to see Vitaly gone too, but I was in a war of post years ago on SG101 that got ugly and attacked my religious beliefs in a vulgar way. Thankfully Brian stepped in and shut it down.

I've been here a lot of years through being popular and not being popular but I've always felt that Brian uses good judgement.

This is a tough situation and I'm sure this is going on with social websites everywhere that are not used to being caught in a Kobayashi Maru.

I'll continue praying for the Ukrainians and hope that someone steps in to help; I don't think the US ever will. I pray God hears my prayers. Sorry, don't mean to go religious on everyone. I just feel so sad all the time and helpless; my wife just cries.

If anyone has Vitaly's Facebook page or point me to the link, please private message it.

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

ArtS wrote:

If anyone has Vitaly's Facebook page or point me to the link, please private message it.

It's right here Art - https://www.facebook.com/vitaly.yakushin

Danny Snyder

_

Got it! Thanks!

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Goto Page: 1 2 Next