Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Slacktone live show, Long Beach Ca. Sun. Feb. 20th 2-5 pm , (new date)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3

When I heard that Slacktone was playing the same weekend that Pollo Del Mar and Wave Electric were playing the Barclay, in Pasadena, it definitely got my attention. When Big Tiki Dude told me that Slacktone's show was going to be a 3-set, all afternoon show, it became etched in stone!

It was my first time to see a show at Secret Island, which has been open for a few months. Found the venue obscurely tucked away in the basement of a bar in downtown long Beach. The name Secret Island seemed appropriate. Really nice venue! My ticket was a reserved seat, I was stoked to find that BTD, Sandbug and Tony T. from Lancaster were assigned to the front-row table to which I was assigned. It was a good turnout (but not overly packed) of a lot of friends and familiar faces. I was kind of surprised by some of the people who were NOT there, but it was a great crowd. There were a LOT of smiles in that rooms, all afternoon long. Another surf community love-fest!

Slacktone went on a little after two. As best I recollect, they played about a 40 minute first set of mostly rarely played tunes and covers. 2nd set was about 40 minutes as well, and was largely the more commonly played tunes. 3rd set was about an hour long, and more of a mix of commonly played tunes, with tunes less often played. It was nice hearing some of the deeper album tracks that they rarely play. Among the covers were, The Breeze and I, Apache, Penetration, Spy Medley, Surf Party, Hawaii 5-0, Goldfinger, Mr. Moto, Rumble, and Miserlou. The band was really dialed in, and if it makes any sense, seemed very relaxed, but at the same time intense. They were up there having a lot of fun. I liked that they were putting little twists and surprises in a lot of songs. Their unique arrangements, and the way that they played the covers, was like nobody else. The covers sounded familiar, yet almost like new songs, largely due to Dave's choices of voicings, effects used (he had a good sized pedalboard), subtle timing differences, and notes chosen. Dusty was a revelation, locked into the rarified air of absolute transcendence, every tune, all of the time. And Sam was right there with them every step of the way, and making hilarious between-song observations from time to time. I know of no surf band consisting of three virtuosos of this magnitude, now, or ever. This show reminded me of some of the Don the Beachcomber (RIP) shows of the past, but was, at least for me, the most special Slacktone show that I've seen. All hail the Mighty Slacktone!!!

Bob

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022 15:41:42

Well said Bob,
Stoked you made it.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

There is hope for the future! Hope for tours, hope for great hangs, hope for gloriously ringing ears, hope for that euphoric feeling of being STOKED!

Sounds like a fantastic show. I have seen some videos posted on fb. Slacktone is killing it! California, you are lucky to have such great shows. Don’t take this for granted.

Rev (East Coast)

Canadian Surf

http://www.urbansurfkings.com/

Luckily the club was full.
But I was upset more surf fans were not there.
Ironic? Possibly.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

How about a video link for the rest of us? Smile

What a killer show, and a great new venue! I'm bummed I didn't see you and say hi Bob, it was pretty dark in there. I did see a few of the usual suspects though! Don't be bummed about the unfamiliar faces Jeff, I bet the guys converted a whole bunch of new surf fans with their incredible (as always) playing. The food and drinks were top-notch, and three hours of Slacktone on a Sunday afternoon can not be beat!

Bill S._______

HELLDIVER on Facebook

Sorry to have missed seeing you, Bill! It's been too long. Hope to see you soon, maybe in late July/early August at the tentative SG101 Convention.

remora1 wrote:

What a killer show, and a great new venue! I'm bummed I didn't see you and say hi Bob, it was pretty dark in there. I did see a few of the usual suspects though! Don't be bummed about the unfamiliar faces Jeff, I bet the guys converted a whole bunch of new surf fans with their incredible (as always) playing. The food and drinks were top-notch, and three hours of Slacktone on a Sunday afternoon can not be beat!

Bob

Slacktone’s next show will be August 21st at the HB pier, so cal

Jeff(bigtikidude)

SO bummed I couldn't get back down to my old stomping grounds for this. I lived in Glendale for years before moving up to San Francisco for work late 2019 (what timing...) happy to have been mixing concerts again in my venues this year, but sad I have to pass on so many amazing concerts I actually want to see/hear.

I’m coming to nor cal on the weekend of March 19/20 for shows.
mainly Frankie n Pool boys Sunday 2-4,
Mermen sun 4-7

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Mar 09, 2022 01:16:35

Video from the show. Smile

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3