Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Vintera´60s Jaguar Pickup upgrade

Page 1 of 1

I recently aquired a Vintera´60s Jaguar, that I really like.

The pickups are good, but I´m thinking of an upgrade for a more traditional chunky surf thump sound ala The Lively Ones.

I could´nt find a comparison between the Vintera and other Jaguar pickups...

Would a Pure Vintage 65, a Lollar or Novak set be an improvement over the Vintera pickups for a surf tone?

The Jaguar is setup with Pyramid Gold 13-56 flats accompanied with a 1973 Silverface Twin Reverb and a True Spring Reverb pedal.

Thanks for your opinion and experience.

Saber wrote:

I recently aquired a Vintera´60s Jaguar, that I really like.

The pickups are good, but I´m thinking of an upgrade for a more traditional chunky surf thump sound ala The Lively Ones.

I could´nt find a comparison between the Vintera and other Jaguar pickups...

Would a Pure Vintage 65, a Lollar or Novak set be an improvement over the Vintera pickups for a surf tone?

The Jaguar is setup with Pyramid Gold 13-56 flats accompanied with a 1973 Silverface Twin Reverb and a True Spring Reverb pedal.

Thanks for your opinion and experience.

I don’t know the specs of the pickups you now have, but I know that the Pure Vintage Jaguar pickups are great sounding. I have a Fender Japan Bass VI and the Pure Vintage pickups transformed it.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

The Fender Vintera 'new vintage style pickups' are unbeveled AlNiCo 5 with cloth wire, designed by Tim Shaw.
Fender Part number is 7716133000 / 7716132000. The are made in Mexico.

Mine both read 6,2 DCR.

Saber wrote:

The Fender Vintera 'new vintage style pickups' are unbeveled AlNiCo 5 with cloth wire, designed by Tim Shaw.
Fender Part number is 7716133000 / 7716132000. The are made in Mexico.

Mine both read 6,2 DCR.

Slightly lower DCR than the Pure Vintage, but close enough that I doubt you'd notice the difference.

Thank you.

Did anybody upgrade a Vintera Jaguar with Pure Vintage 65, Lollar or Novaks and can share his opinion ?

FWIW, I have a set of the Pure Vintage '65 Jaguar pickups in my Squier VM Jag and they improved the tone tremendously.

Hopefully a bit more relevant to your ask, I've upgraded my Vintera '60s Jazzmaster with Pure Vintage '65 Jazzmaster pickups and it was a significant difference to me.

Along with the Vintera Jazzmaster, I own a Vintera '50s Tele and '50s Strat - I didn't particularly care for any of the Vintera stock pickups so they've all been upgraded - Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials for the '50s Tele and Fralin Hum-Cancelling Strat pickups for the '50s Strat.

In any case, the Fender Pure Vintage '65 pickups are a reasonably priced and worthwhile upgrade if you aren't happy with the stock pickups.

Novak makes some awesome pickups, too. I've got a set of JM-HC (Jazzmaster Hum-Cancelling) Gold Foil pickups in one of my other Jazzmasters - they're pricier, but worthwhile.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

per sabre and Synchro's posts ..I dont think changing one vintage type Alnico V pickup for another with similar resistance value will bring much change in sound .

ArabSpringReverb wrote:

per sabre and Synchro's posts ..I dont think changing one vintage type Alnico V pickup for another with similar resistance value will bring much change in sound .

The difference in DC resistance is only about 10%, so unless there is a huge difference in the inductive reactance of the coil, the difference would be negligible. Most Jaguar pickups are bright by nature and that’s one reason that there’s a strong market for Jag’ pickups that are darker, like the Quarter Pounders that Seymour Duncan sells. But for Surf, that brightness is probably what brought us here in the first place.

I upgraded to the vintage 1965 pickups on my Jag, and it made a HUGE difference. I would definitely recommend doing this if you're looking for a more traditional surf sound.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

SixStringSurfer wrote:

I upgraded to the vintage 1965 pickups on my Jag, and it made a HUGE difference. I would definitely recommend doing this if you're looking for a more traditional surf sound.

Was it a Vintera, a CIJ or am MIM Jaguar? I´m definitly looking only for the true surf tone. I wonder if Lollars are more of a modern than an tradional sound? The set is AlNiCo 2 for the bridge and V for the neck.

I can speak pretty highly for the PV65’s in Jake’s absence now that I have two jaguars with them installed. They are great pickups at a great price. As someone who often has the boutique pickups installed in guitars, I still chose them over the double the cost lollars, etc. I saw that Lollar used alnico ii for the bridge. I believe the early jags had alnico ii, is that right? I wouldn’t associate alnico ii with a more modern sound either way. It’ll round off the highs most likely and maybe soften the transients compared to alnico v.

I tend to agree with Synchro on most things. I might slightly disagree here though I have zero experience with the vintera pickups. I have had strat pickups with the same magnet type and very similar dc resistance and inductance that sounded pretty different to my ears. How they’re wound, type of wire, rod dimensions, potting, etc. can affect the tone somewhat as well. They’ll sound similar but with some subtle differences that might be important to the player. That being said, I can’t tell you that changing from the vintera to the ‘65s will yield a noticeable difference or not.

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

cirecc wrote:

I can speak pretty highly for the PV65’s in Jake’s absence now that I have two jaguars with them installed. They are great pickups at a great price. As someone who often has the boutique pickups installed in guitars, I still chose them over the double the cost lollars, etc. I saw that Lollar used alnico ii for the bridge. I believe the early jags had alnico ii, is that right? I wouldn’t associate alnico ii with a more modern sound either way. It’ll round off the highs most likely and maybe soften the transients compared to alnico v.

I tend to agree with Synchro on most things. I might slightly disagree here though I have zero experience with the vintera pickups. I have had strat pickups with the same magnet type and very similar dc resistance and inductance that sounded pretty different to my ears. How they’re wound, type of wire, rod dimensions, potting, etc. can affect the tone somewhat as well. They’ll sound similar but with some subtle differences that might be important to the player. That being said, I can’t tell you that changing from the vintera to the ‘65s will yield a noticeable difference or not.

My comments were based on the only information I had to work with, the DC resistance figure. Static resistance is but one measurement, and it tells only one thing for certain, and that it the static (DC) resistance of the coil windings. If you have the inductance of the pickup, you can calculate the impedance, which tells a larger story. However. Static resistance is a huge component of impedance. Impedance is the square root of the resistance squared plus the reactance squared. In the case of a guitar pickup, the inductive reactance will be a small contributor to the total.

All that having been said, there are innumerable variables, many of which are hard to quantify. The flux lines from the magnet probably being a major example of this. Spacing of magnets, the way the coil is wound, the pickup height and the rest of the circuit all contribute. If all other factors were the same, the difference between a pickup with 6.2 K ohm static resistance and a pickup with 6.8 K ohm static resistance would be all but imperceptible.

In acoustics, it normal takes a doubling or halving of a value in order to have a perceptible change. A few years back, I experimented with capacitor values in a tone circuit and it took a fairly large change of cap’ value to even be audible. It’s that way with other components, as well.

Pickups are very hard to pin down, because of all the variables and pickup height is probably the greatest variable. Fields operate according to the inverse square law, so the difference in effect is at the square of distance between the pickup and the string. In practical terms, half a turn of the height adjustment screws has much more effect that the difference in specs between two pickups of similar construction, but with slightly different specs.

With that as prologue. I’ll share my approach.

I would start with a baseline and adjust the stock pickups to optimum performance. I use brass rod gauges for measuring pickup height. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-electronics/pickup-clearance-gauges/ This reduces the guesswork and allows me to keep track of my settings. It’s a great tool to have. When I baseline, I check side to side balance of each pickup (balance of bass and treble strings) and the balance between the two pickups once the side to side balance is good. Overall height is limited by string clearance with the strings depressed at the highest fret. I tend to run my pickups high, but it’s a matter of taste. Once you have the balance right, you can reduce the pickup height by counting turns of the pickup adjustment screws, if you want to lower the pickups slightly. During all of this, I keep the volume and tone controls maxed and use the pickup switch to isolate the pickups when setting side to side balance. Obviously, you can’t adjust the pickups until you have your bridge adjusted properly.

Just doing these adjustments will give you an accurate picture of what the stock pickups are capable of giving you. I use the baseline concept all the time. When I play, I start with the volume control at 75% rotation, which gives me the possibility to cut, or raise volume, to suit the situation.

Only at this point would I consider whether or not I wanted to replace the pickups.

Everything you guys are talking about is way above my head. I respect you guys for being so knowledgeable, and I can only speak from my own personal experience.

I have a 2015 Classic Player Jag (very similar to Vintera), and when I had the vintage '65 pups installed it was a huge improvement. The stock pups were too harsh, and modern sounding. The '65 pups are more mellow, and vintage (period correct) sounding in my opinion.

Honestly, as soon as I played the guitar for the first time I could tell a very big difference. Sorry I am not as technical as the other gentleman about the specs, but I can honestly recommend that you upgrade to the '65 vintage pickups.

Also, I own a Vintera Strat, and I upgraded to some boutique 1962 pickups. Huge difference there as well. The Strat is my favorite guitar to play of the three guitars that I own (Jag, Jazz, Strat). Hope this helped!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

synchro wrote:

I would start with a baseline and adjust the stock pickups to optimum performance. I use brass rod gauges for measuring pickup height. https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-electronics/pickup-clearance-gauges/ This reduces the guesswork and allows me to keep track of my settings. It’s a great tool to have. When I baseline, I check side to side balance of each pickup (balance of bass and treble strings) and the balance between the two pickups once the side to side balance is good. Overall height is limited by string clearance with the strings depressed at the highest fret. I tend to run my pickups high, but it’s a matter of taste. Once you have the balance right, you can reduce the pickup height by counting turns of the pickup adjustment screws, if you want to lower the pickups slightly. During all of this, I keep the volume and tone controls maxed and use the pickup switch to isolate the pickups when setting side to side balance. Obviously, you can’t adjust the pickups until you have your bridge adjusted properly.

Just doing these adjustments will give you an accurate picture of what the stock pickups are capable of giving you. I use the baseline concept all the time. When I play, I start with the volume control at 75% rotation, which gives me the possibility to cut, or raise volume, to suit the situation.

Only at this point would I consider whether or not I wanted to replace the pickups.

All very good points! I agree about pickup height being a huge factor, particularly with jag and strat pickups.

I’m learning to run my jag at about 80% volume since those 1meg pots really let all the highs pass through. Normally, I have been a just turn it up all the way type of person, on a jag it makes a huge difference taking that little bit off the top.

-Eric

New music!
Spotify

Also:

Last edited: Jan 08, 2022 14:22:36

SixStringSurfer wrote:

Everything you guys are talking about is way above my head. I respect you guys for being so knowledgeable, and I can only speak from my own personal experience.

I have a 2015 Classic Player Jag (very similar to Vintera), and when I had the vintage '65 pups installed it was a huge improvement. The stock pups were too harsh, and modern sounding. The '65 pups are more mellow, and vintage (period correct) sounding in my opinion.

Honestly, as soon as I played the guitar for the first time I could tell a very big difference. Sorry I am not as technical as the other gentleman about the specs, but I can honestly recommend that you upgrade to the '65 vintage pickups.

Also, I own a Vintera Strat, and I upgraded to some boutique 1962 pickups. Huge difference there as well. The Strat is my favorite guitar to play of the three guitars that I own (Jag, Jazz, Strat). Hope this helped!

I don’t have any problem believing you. For me, the unknown is the stock Vintera pickups. I don’t know what they are like. I have owned two Fender Japan instruments with Jaguar pickups; a reissue of a ‘66 Jag, and a reissue of a ‘66 Bass VI. In both cases, the OEM pickups were harsh and unpleasant, at best. In the case of the Jaguar, I went with Seymour Duncan’s and the Bass VI got Fender Pure Vintage.

I will readily concede that OEM pickups can be awful, but I don’t know anything about the Vintera single coils. I had a Vintera Modified Jag with humbuckers and those were impressive pickups. I ended up not keeping that guitar, but the pickups were fine. As I said, I’ve never even seen the Vintera ‘60s Jaguar with single coils, so I couldn’t comment, beyond saying that if it sounds good, it is good.

Getting the more traditional sound could be in the pickups, the amp, or a host of other places, so my only advice would be to look at the whole picture. I’ve owned two Jaguars and on the bridge pickup, they were more than bright; they were BRIGHT!!!! For the chunky, traditional, Surf sound, I’d recommend a set of Thomastik Infield Jass Swing flatwounds and using both pickups. For an old school Surf amplifier sound, I use a Winfield Tremor, which is very similar to a Brownface Princeton, so it has good midrange. That’s the secret plan for my Time Machine to return to 1962.

See, we continue to agree. I have both of mine set up with .012” thomastik js flats and am almost always on both pi’s. You get the clarity and a good reverb drip with less piercing highs (though for me it’s always been an upper mids issue ~3khz).

-Eric

New music!
Spotify

Also:

cirecc wrote:

synchro wrote:

All very good points! I agree about pickup height being a huge factor, particularly with jag and strat pickups.

I’m learning to run my jag at about 80% volume since those 1meg pots really let all the highs pass through. Normally, I have been a just turn it up all the way type of person, on a jag it makes a huge difference taking that little bit off the top.

So at 80%, with a 1 M ohm audio taper pot, the resistance would be somewhere around 680 K ohms. Basically, not much perceptible difference from a 500 K ohm pot full up. My Gretsch has 500 K audio taper pots, so when I'm at 75% rotation, that pot is 300 K above ground, but, because there are three pots (two pickup volumes and one master volume) the formula would be 1 divided by 1/500 + 1/500 + 1/300, which comes to 136 K, total. That may seem like a radical difference, but in the logarithmic world of acoustics, it's relatively slight. Turn an audio taper pot to 50% and you have about 10% of the resistance at 100%. It's strange, but that's how acoustics work.

Page 1 of 1