Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Roto Greys 13-54 on my new Strat?

Page 1 of 1

Hello. I am basically new to surf guitar. Been playing guitar since the 70’s though. Got a new American Performer Stratocaster and I am wanting to have my luthier set it up for heavier gauge strings. I was originally thinking of putting 11-52’s on it. But after reading some posts here I am thinking I might want to put on heavier strings so I ordered some Roto Greys 13-54. I am no stranger to heavy strings as I mostly play bluegrass guitar. Ok, so with all that said, should I go for it on the 13-54’s or start with 11-52’s first?

Last edited: Dec 08, 2021 20:19:33

Go heavy! No matter what anyone says, even if they’re legendary surf superstars, I think heavier strings sound better for every tone. Fuller, more depth, bolder, tougher, stronger. I can hear the difference and lighter strings just have less of everything.

I use 12 - 54 on the av65 strat, and I never got around to upping them to the 13 - 56 I use on the jag. I want to use 14s, but then I’d have to find a comparable brand, which has been tough. I once spent over $100 testing fancy strings, Pyramid, Thomastic, none came close to the DR Zebras.

And hey - welcome to the greatest site on the net!

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

Heavy gauge strings are kind of like using tobacco. Everything is fine.. you still breathe and have developed fingers of steel. Then the advancing years come your way. Lung problems and carpal tunnel syndrome might tell you what a bad boy you've been.
Think about it. Are your fingers and wrist really design to press down a good 1/4 inch or more on bridge cables strung with high action (why the high action has always been beyond me) and, hence, some significant tension to work against on a guitar?
I think this situation eventually even caught up with Dick Dale. He had to back off the .060 gauge low 'E' strings in his later years from what I've read.
I like my hands and their workings; I'll stick with the Mosrites and light gauge strings.

J Mo'

I have used everything from 11s to 13s (I might have tried 14s, too) on a strat dedicated to surf. I think for surf I prefer the 12s and a compromise between the more solid feel and tone of heavy strings without quite as much tension. I don’t remember the low e gauge, but .052-.054 sounds about right.

The one thing with strays is also setting up your vibrato, and I found that the 13s required quite a bit more spring tension (obviously), but I didn’t like how stiff the vibrato felt. I know it’s subjective, but it was enough for me to use it much less. The strat has arguably the most direct feeling vibrato, so the heavier the strings the “heavier” the feel, making the lyrical and subtle ways we often use the vibrato in surf more difficult in my opinion.

Either way, I’m a fan of action being as low as you can have it without buzz. Usually, higher tension helps with that, but that doesn’t mean it feels easier than a lighter string with slightly higher action.

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

Thanks for all the advice!
I love this place!

Well, I chickened out.
Dropped off the guitar to my local luthier with NYXL 11-52's.
Better than the 9's it came with at least.
I will see how goes with the 11-52's first.
If I feel like I can handle more, I may try those DR Zebra 12's.

Thanks Again!

Yeah the hand health concern is valid. I have had hand and arm problems since 1997. But at this moment I’m good to play uninterrupted for up to two hours. But I must be careful not to overdo it. Yes those concerns are valid.

My main point was - if you can stand em, the thick strings will sound better. I should have qualified that.

Daniel Deathtide

i used to have a weird custom set on my strat that had a .014 high e (made the drippy reflection in my tank more full) but have now backed down to 12s and sometimes 11s on the strat and still love it as much.

i’m using gabriel tenorio 11s for my offsets and really like the sound and feel of those despite the lower gauge.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021 13:45:08

Page 1 of 1