Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Show Announcements »

Permalink Deke’s Venturesmania in Long Beach, sat, dec, 4th

Page 1 of 1

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Nice, that would be a great show to see!

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Bump for tomorrow, and in case you don't like clicking screenshots, here is a real link for the tickets:
https://www-stellarshows-net.seatengine.com/shows/159705

Hope to see a lot of familiar faces tomorrow. It's very rare for Venturesmania to play live, so I try to catch every possible show.

Ran

The Scimitars

Why every single local instrumental guitar "fan" was not at this show confounds me. This whole experience is not just about The Ventures, it's a full-blown love letter to instrumental guitar music of all kinds played by some of the most experienced, thoughtful and musical players alive today. There is something for everyone. Want to see, smell and hear actual proper vintage gear? Check. Want to experience THEE closest thing on the planet (outside of Japan) to hearing The Ventures live circa 1965? Check. Want a master class in showmanship and performing from some literal legends of the scene? C'mon...an Untamed Youth, a Ghastly One, a Phantom Surfer and a Torquay playing guitar instrumentals on more vintage gear than most good vintage guitar stores possess?

Ever wanted to hear The Astronauts played through one of their actual cabinets? Well, this was your chance.

If that's not all already cool enough, the guys in the band brought their own vinyl and DJ'd with commentary in-between sets.

It was a gift that just keeps on givin'. Hugely enjoyable and entertaining live, but then so much food for thought and inspiration for later.

Sincere personal thanks and the utmost respect to Deke, Garrett, Mel and Duff for putting on one of, if not THEE, most inspiring shows of 2021!

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Agreed, I was very disappointed that this show, and yours the day after were very low attendance.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

JonPaul - Sounds familiar.
There was a "Ventures Fan Fest" here on the East coast last October 2nd. The attendance results were similar. Only a little over a dozen players and maybe 50 people in total showed up. It used to be a few hundred just a few years ago. The event didn't even have enough players and material to fill up the day. The "Stars on Guitars" movie by Staci Layne Wilson was shown. Who is going to travel - even locally - to see a movie that can be obtained online for a little over $20.00?? There are videos of the event on Youtube. The performances are pretty thin soup - IMHO.

At least Deke went a bit more of the extra mile with matching sharkfin suits and the raw 1965 sounds on the Mosrites.
I'd have to think the pandemic needs to ease up some more. People are still wary about public events like this. Who wants to (maybe) wear a mask for hours - worse so wearing one while you're performing?

J Mo'

Well said Jonpaul. We moved a rehearsal to a Monday (we never do that), I intentionally got a booster shot two weeks prior the the show. There was no doubt we will go to see this show, and do everything necessary to be there. Glad we got to see it, sad that attendance was low.

Ran

The Scimitars

Low attendance is a bummer. I've seen VenturesMania 2 times, and I don't live in CA, or even close. They are awesome!

This show seemed to be a don't miss just for long haired Mel Bergmann - last time I saw him he was still sportin' the flat top - Big Grin

"You can't tell where you're going if you don't know where you've been"

Last edited: Dec 08, 2021 20:09:35

Sounds good.
Wish I could have been there...

Low attendance... maybe it´s because of this Ventures cover band around, who claim to be the Ventures?

Twang cheers!

Ralf Kilauea

www.kilaueas.de

https://kilaueas.bandcamp.com/album/touch-my-alien

Page 1 of 1