Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Aqua Puss MK III weirdness

Page 1 of 1

I've noticed when the feedback is at the high end for a delay setting, but not self-oscillating, certain notes (like a hard palm muted strum) will trigger a clicking sound that gets louder and runs away into oscillation. Turning off the pedal and turning it back on, I still hear it clicking, loudly, like its been oscillating louder and louder "in the background."
It's really annoying and doesn't happen with other pedals (like the carbon copy).

As an aside, in comparing the two, I was really surprised... they're extremely similar, at least the brand new versions. I always heard the CC was darker, but its actually marginally brighter. My cranked jazzmaster will sound considerably brighter and shriller through the CC and a tank than through the AP.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021 23:09:34

You're not really turning the pedal off.
You're just bypassing the delay circuit.
When powered, the circuit is permanently running. It does not know or care wether it is connected to the output jack or not.
The circuit did not know you temporarily took it out of the signal chain, in the background it was still running.
The only thing you can do is turn the feedback down (and back up again) or really turn it off (pull the power/adapter plug)

You're not the first to be surprised.
Check this video around 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpI6SpqMRmg&t=330s

As for the CC, I never understood why people consider it dark. I found it annoyingly bright, at least compared to my Deluxe Memory Men (Mans?) , Memory Toy, Vintage Time Machine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021 10:54:10

Makes sense. So I guess its behaving normally. CC seems less finicky.
Whats funny, is with my Gretsch with dearmonds they're basically identical pedals.
Maybe a slight edge to the CC, which seems to be easier to dial in for blend on slapback.
Through a tank with a jazzmaster, I hear the annoyingly bright thing, which I can somewhat fix by turning down my instument's tone, but who wants to have to adjust a knob they don't have to.

I eliminated a couple of others after lengthy testing:
Memphis sun: Too gimmicky + I'm not good/knowledgable enough about sam Phillips to make it sing.
Belle epoch: too much going on with the preamp

Any puss killers you'd recommend?
All I'd change is to give it a little more feedback/echoes before it runs wild. I don't need more than 300ms delay. Maybe that's impossible?

j_flanders wrote:

You're not really turning the pedal off.
You're just bypassing the delay circuit.
When powered, the circuit is permanently running. It does not know or care wether it is connected to the output jack or not.
The circuit did not know you temporarily took it out of the signal chain, in the background it was still running.
The only thing you can do is turn the feedback down (and back up again) or really turn it off (pull the power/adapter plug)

You're not the first to be surprised.
Check this video around 5:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpI6SpqMRmg&t=330s

As for the CC, I never understood why people consider it dark. I found it annoyingly bright, at least compared to my Deluxe Memory Men (Mans?) , Memory Toy, Vintage Time Mechine.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021 07:48:07

I get why people love this thing and say it's mainly for short delays.

You can play around on the edge of oscillation and wipe out the runaway trails (if you aren't planning to turn the pedal off and on during a song more than once!)

But above all I can see the need for a dedicated, high fidelity short delay pedal totally separate from everything else. If not for a specific style, then just to add a bit of weight to the sound.

Also I get why so many people here have one: it's amazing how it improves and varies the feel of a very wet reverb tank. It feels like an upgrade for that. Doubling adds to drip, longer delays add new texture and ripples, all without making it muddier or more ice picky.

Without verb it really feels like an extension of my instrument, doesn't mess with the tone at all. That first echo sounds like it's coming out of the guitar, not a machine. Does that make sense?

Should be amazing on bass VI too, where short delay will get a ton of use for subtle 60s flavor.

Page 1 of 1