Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Cochran Gretsch or something else

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

Ok everyone. I know the Gretsch thing has been covered, but I’ve got the itch and some overtime money burning a hole in my pocket after a canceled vacation. Help me buy a Gretsch. I was looking at the Cochran signature model due to the single coil. What do you all think? Best bang for the buck in a 6120? Something that can surf but also cover rockabilly and western licks. Many thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 03, 2021 21:50:56

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

Ok everyone. I know the Gretsch thing has been covered, but I’ve got the itch and some overtime money burning a hole in my pocket after a canceled vacation. Help me buy a Gretsch. I was looking at the Cochran signature model due to the single coil. What do you all think? Best bang for the buck in a 6120? Something that can surf but also cover rockabilly and western licks. Many thanks!!

I’ve played one, and it’s definitely got s great sound. However, you might do better with a trestle braced, Filtertron equipped Gretsch. The feedback resistance is greater and the highs are very focused. The Brian Setzer Hot Rod would be a great choice if you are OK with the color choices, or maybe a G6120T-59.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

synchro wrote:

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

I’ve played one, and it’s definitely got s great sound. However, you might do better with a trestle braced, Filtertron equipped Gretsch. The feedback resistance is greater and the highs are very focused. The Brian Setzer Hot Rod would be a great choice if you are OK with the color choices, or maybe a G6120T-59.

yea, those colors just don’t hit for me. I was really hoping to find something in traditional orange or a seafoam. Maybe dark blue. But orange is preferable. Maybe I’ll cruise around reverb. Thanks for the advice. I’ll look for something with Filtrons.

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

synchro wrote:

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

yea, those colors just don’t hit for me. I was really hoping to find something in traditional orange or a seafoam. Maybe dark blue. But orange is preferable. Maybe I’ll cruise around reverb. Thanks for the advice. I’ll look for something with Filtrons.

JMO, & FWIW, if think that the 6120s based upon the 1959 models sound the best for Surf. The “anti-feedback” bracing really lets the highs come through. 1959 was the year of trestle bracing, which is the modern name for what they used to call anti-feedback bracing. The G6120-1959, which is now called the G6120T-59 is almost perfect. The Brian Setzer Signature model is another example and uses an araonge stain. The Setzer Hot Rod models all have the custom paint jods, although there were several model years where they went with translucent stains and flame maple for these models.

If you like a bigger guitar, the G6122T-59, AKA the G6122T-59, is a dead-on copy of Chet Atkins’ original 1959 Country Gentleman, and has the trestle braces. Even though it’s a 17” archtop, the highs are brilliant. I have one and love it. Perhaps the best part is that right out of the box, it has good pickups and doesn’t really need any mods.

The G6128-1957CG is a Duo Jet with a rich green finish on the top and clear coated mahogany on the back. It has Dynasonic single coils and makes for some great Surf sounds. It’s definitely a brighter, thinner sound than the Filtertron equipped hollow bodies. I used one of these in a quartet setting and is was a perfect sound, but when we became a trio, I swapped into the Filtertron equipped hollow bodies.

I’ve owned a couple of Jaguars, a couple of Strats and several Teles, all of which were great instruments, but I’ve never found anything that I liked better for Surf than a Gretsch.

Here’s the Jet I mentioned: https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/solid-body/g6128t-57-vintage-select-57-duo-jet-with-bigsby/2401612846 I’d take off the armrest and probably swap to a one-piece bridge, if I were to buy one.

Here’s one of the Setzers: https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/edition/artist-signature/g6120t-bssmk-brian-setzer-signature-nashville-hollow-body-59-smoke-with-bigsby/2401210812

Another orange Setzer: https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/edition/artist-signature/g6120tfm-bsnv-brian-setzer-signature-nashville-hollow-body-with-bigsby-and-flame-maple/2401316822

This Gent doesn’t look like it would Surf, but it sounds great for Surf: https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/family/country-gentleman/g6122t-59-vintage-select-edition-59-chet-atkins-country-gentleman-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401234892

I don't have much to offer on Gretsches, but I'm a fan of Dynasonic pickups. And the title of this thread made me laugh (I hope the pun was intentional).

synchro wrote:

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

synchro wrote:

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

JMO, & FWIW, if think that the 6120s based upon the 1959 models sound the best for Surf. The “anti-feedback” bracing really lets the highs come through. 1959 was the year of trestle bracing, which is the modern name for what they used to call anti-feedback bracing. The G6120-1959, which is now called the G6120T-59 is almost perfect. The Brian Setzer Signature model is another example and uses an araonge stain. The Setzer Hot Rod models all have the custom paint jods, although there were several model years where they went with translucent stains and flame maple for these models.

If you like a bigger guitar, the G6122T-59, AKA the G6122T-59, is a dead-on copy of Chet Atkins’ original 1959 Country Gentleman, and has the trestle braces. Even though it’s a 17” archtop, the highs are brilliant. I have one and love it. Perhaps the best part is that right out of the box, it has good pickups and doesn’t really need any mods.

The G6128-1957CG is a Duo Jet with a rich green finish on the top and clear coated mahogany on the back. It has Dynasonic single coils and makes for some great Surf sounds. It’s definitely a brighter, thinner sound than the Filtertron equipped hollow bodies. I used one of these in a quartet setting and is was a perfect sound, but when we became a trio, I swapped into the Filtertron equipped hollow bodies.

I’ve owned a couple of Jaguars, a couple of Strats and several Teles, all of which were great instruments, but I’ve never found anything that I liked better for Surf than a Gretsch.

Thanks for all that info! I’m definitely looking for a nice change up from my Jag. Maybe I can find a nice used Setzer, or an older hotrod in a good color.

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

Thanks for all that info! I’m definitely looking for a nice change up from my Jag. Maybe I can find a nice used Setzer, or an older hotrod in a good color.

There have been several generations of Setzer Hot Rods. My favorites would be from about 2003 on up, when they went to trestle bracing and TV Jones pickups. They had some decent solid colors and the guitars were pretty nice.

Later on, they increased the depth to 2.75” and had translucent finishes over flamed maple. These are beautiful instruments and the trestle bracing provides a great sound.

The earliest Hot Rods lacked the trestle bracing, so I’d be on the watch for that. They are decent guitars, for the most part, but will not have the treble bite of a trestle braced Gretsch.

Lets hear some opinions on these?

Hotrod

Setzer

There was a blue Hotrod that sold earlier. It was pretty. What do you guys think? This is kinda the range I'd like to stay in. That Hotrod looks like a solid deal.

The Hot Rod is an ‘02, and I would want to see photographic proof that is was trestle braced before breaking out my Visa card. If it’s got trestle bracing (and they need to photograph inward from the F hole to have a prayer of seeing the brace) then I’d think it OK.

However, the SSU looks like a better deal, to my eye. The serial number indicates 2005, but it’s a Terada=built instrument, has the good machine heads, trestles and apparently TV Jones pickups. Overall, that looks like a decent axe. Id see if he has the chrome knobs and ask him to carefully cushion wrap them and put them in the accessory compartment of the case.

Based upon my Gretsch experiences, Thomastik Jazz Swings if you like flatwounds, or Thomastik Jazz BeBops if you like rounds. I have Jazz BeBops on my ‘59 Tenny RI and they sound excellent.

I run flat wound 11s on my Jag, but I wouldn't know what to run on a Gretsch. I'd probably try different things out... maybe go with 10s. I dunno. I'm still searching around, but that Setzer might be the ticket. If I find a hotrod in a color I like I might bite if its a little newer as you say. Thanks for all the help!

I have a ‘57RI duo jet similar to the one mentioned above that I’ve since upgraded to the tv Jones t-armonds which are definitely thicker and warmer than the gretsch dynasonics for whatever that’s worth. I also have an old double anniversary with the tv jones classic/classic+ combo. I think that both work great and have used rounds and flats on them.

I would try those flat .011s that you had before or round wound .011s if you prefer. I don’t think you’ll feel the need to downsize to the .010s if you like what you have on the jag. Gretsches are 24.6” scale, so it’s not a huge jump in length plus with the bigsby, it won’t feel stiffer like going to a tele.

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

cirecc wrote:

I have a ‘57RI duo jet similar to the one mentioned above that I’ve since upgraded to the tv Jones t-armonds which are definitely thicker and warmer than the gretsch dynasonics for whatever that’s worth. I also have an old double anniversary with the tv jones classic/classic+ combo. I think that both work great and have used rounds and flats on them.

I would try those flat .011s that you had before or round wound .011s if you prefer. I don’t think you’ll feel the need to downsize to the .010s if you like what you have on the jag. Gretsches are 24.6” scale, so it’s not a huge jump in length plus with the bigsby, it won’t feel stiffer like going to a tele.

Thanks for the advice!

I use 10s or 11s on my various Gretsch. I use flatwounds on three of the four of them. For an “11” set, I use a .050, a .037 and a .027 on the bottom three and .017, .013 and .010 D’Addarios up top. Thomastiks can be bought individually for the same price, as it would cost per set, so custom sets are no problem.

For roundwounds, .050, .036 and .028s will do the trick. In either case, Thomastiks last almost forever, so long as you wipe them down after every play. The Tenny I have the roundwounds on sounds amazing.

I don’t think that there’s a wrong answer, when it comes to strings. Gretsch are somewhat unique guitars. They sound great for Surf, with a gutsy sound that has plenty of high-end sparkle and lots of low end heft, without getting muddy.

When I read the listing on that Setzer it did indicate it had the extra knobs... Listed a day ago. Definitely enticing. I like the stripped down vibe of the Hotrod too though.

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

When I read the listing on that Setzer it did indicate it had the extra knobs... Listed a day ago. Definitely enticing. I like the stripped down vibe of the Hotrod too though.

I’m with you on that. The guy that does with the fewest knobs wins. If you can get the seller of that Hot Rod to provide a picture that reveals whether or not it has Trestle Bracing, that would be a start, however a Hot Rod a couple of years newer would probably have better pickups and machine heads. He’s calling it an ‘03, but it’s an ‘02, and pre Fender era, which is when they tightened up the specs.

I like the harbor blue and orange the best I'd say. Thanks for all the info. Maybe something will pop up somewhere on the internet.... in the meantime I'll contemplate that Setzer model.

Lagoon_Mummy wrote:

I like the harbor blue and orange the best I'd say. Thanks for all the info. Maybe something will pop up somewhere on the internet.... in the meantime I'll contemplate that Setzer model.

That Setzer SSU has the good stuff; Sperzel machine heads, definitely trestle bracing, and great flame in the wood. The extra electrical pieces won’t hurt your sound, especially the tone circuit, which is out of the picture (electrically speaking) when the tone switch is centered. While I love the Hot Rods, that SSU Is a pretty nice piece.

I'd strongly suggest checking out one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6120t-sw-steve-wariner-signature-nashville-gentleman-with-bigsby-electric-guitar/l51651000001000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L51651000001000--Gretsch+Guitars+G6120T-SW+Steve+Wariner+Signature+Nashville+Gentleman+with+Bigsby+Electric+Guitar+Magic+Black&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJqXkozo8gIVBKjICh1Szg-_EAQYASABEgJnDPD_BwE

Designed by three, long time Gretsch fans, collectors (including myself for full disclosure)

6120 size body but 25.5" scale length for more "twang" less "thud" on the low strings. Trestle bracing, Closed F-holes for more feedback resistance, locking tuners, pin-less Bigsby and the only Gretsch that you can split the pickups to single coil sounds. One of if not the most versatile Gretsch I've ever encountered. Surf, Rock, Chet, you name it.
Only comes in one color but it's a great, chameleon color.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.facebook.com/CrazyAcesMusic
http://www.youtube.com/user/crazyacesrock
http://www.reverbnation.com/crazyacesmusic

CrazyAces wrote:

I'd strongly suggest checking out one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gretsch-guitars-g6120t-sw-steve-wariner-signature-nashville-gentleman-with-bigsby-electric-guitar/l51651000001000?cntry=US&cur=USD&utm_content=L51651000001000--Gretsch+Guitars+G6120T-SW+Steve+Wariner+Signature+Nashville+Gentleman+with+Bigsby+Electric+Guitar+Magic+Black&source=3WWRWXGS&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvJqXkozo8gIVBKjICh1Szg-_EAQYASABEgJnDPD_BwE

Designed by three, long time Gretsch fans, collectors (including myself for full disclosure)

6120 size body but 25.5" scale length for more "twang" less "thud" on the low strings. Trestle bracing, Closed F-holes for more feedback resistance, locking tuners, pin-less Bigsby and the only Gretsch that you can split the pickups to single coil sounds. One of if not the most versatile Gretsch I've ever encountered. Surf, Rock, Chet, you name it.
Only comes in one color but it's a great, chameleon color.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Jeff

Definitely awesome, but I'm in a bit of a different realm with the price tag. Thats definitely super cool though.

Goto Page: 1 2 Next