Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Shrill , Icepickey high notes with Oceans 11 & Flats

Page 1 of 1

Hello everyone! Long time lurker with a first post…

I have been having major problems with my rig making horrible
shrill , ice pickey noises when I hit high notes… ive tried adjusting
the eq & playing with the settings on the amp (BOSS Katana 50) , pedal & guitar (Silvertone 1449)

Also , I recently switched to Flatwounds & I find the G string to also
produce unpleasant high notes when playing…

Any clues as to how to fix this?

Some of the the solid state amps I've played through have exhibited a tendency to produce an annoying high frequency bite which I think was due to the strings rattling on the frets some. This was particularly noticeable on the first string.

I like my guitars set up with no relief and super low string height. I've found this to work well on my Jazzmasters as the 12-50 Chrome flats that I've used for years have a noticeably tight string tension with allows that flat finger board/super low action. However, two small Fender solid state amps that I've had didn't do well with that almost imperceptible low string action buzz. It was pretty annoying.

One funny thing is that just this year, I scored a '67 Thomas Organ Vox (solid state) Super Berkeley 3 and it works fine with my Jazzmasters. It sounds great. Figure...... It has killer tone control voicing.

You can try reducing the treble setting on either the amp or guitar's tone, just a bit. Another thing I think is that the Chromes sound awful for the first 10 hours or so of play. Once they through that they sound get really mellow with a real big low end thunk.

Good hunting,

Ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

12-52 actually. I can't type, read, or play guitar........

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

I've had the 100 watt Katana for a few years now. When I first got it I tried my reissue tank with it and was disappointed with the sound and wrote it off for surf.
Your thread piqued my interest how it would do with a pedal instead, so I tried it with my Topanga pedal.
At first it still sounded bad, but I have a large collection of presets from guitarpatches.com. One that I had downloaded called Mayer clean sounds really good. I took off a tiny bit of treble and presence and also a little high end from the parametric eq.
If you pm me an email address I'll see if I can send you the preset.
Your problem with harsh high end is not exclusive to the gear you're using. It's something every player deals with. Balancing the amp tone, guitar tone and reverb tone controls until we lose the icepick without losing the coveted drip.
As for flats, Ed's on the money. They take time to break in and you won't hear about flat wound users doing string changes very often.

Page 1 of 1