Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

bigtikidude: New link https://m.yo...
306 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
291 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
219 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
219 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
138 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
117 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
85 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
79 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
40 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

79%

79%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Princeton Reverb reissue problem

Page 1 of 1

Just bought a new 65 reissue Princeton Reverb (standard one with 10” Jensen). I feel like something is wrong with it. One power tube is glowing blue, they get hot real quick. Also, I have to have the volume on 5 in order for it to sound like my Deluxe Reverb on 2 (I don’t like to play loud and 2 on Deluxe is loud to me), this just seems crazy for home apartment playing. Treble seems like nothing and it’s not the glassy, chimey clean you’d expect from a Fender and a 10” Jensen ceramic. Lastly, tremolo seems weak and reverb as well. I compare side by side with the Deluxe and something just seems “off”. Could this be a defective amp? I highly doubt a good working Princeton Reverb would have all these issues. It’s brand new. And I expect to be “wowed” when plugging in, and I wasn’t. I read power tubes can go bad and cause all these issues (cut in power, loss of treble, etc). But before I return it, I wanna know if it’s worth getting another one from the company or just returning it and moving on.

I bought the amp because the Deluxe is too loud for home, but to turn a Princeton to 4-5 to get the same decent level is wrong. I’ll add ive never played a Princeton Reverb, though I’m sure it’s beautiful and maybe this is just a case of bad luck, and getting a replacement and returning it might be the easy answer. Never bought a new amp and had issues.

Last edited: Aug 04, 2021 22:37:31

I don't have a Princeton, but I have a Gomez G-Reverb (with a 10" Weber) based on the same circuit. It is LOUD. On 2, I don't mind it, but I would be nervous about any non-guitarist being in the room. On 5 it shakes the walls. I use an attenuator with it. I feel like the "living room practice" level on the amp is between 1 and 2, tiny, tiny adjustments. Around 3 it really kicks in, not with breakup, but getting quite loud and increasingly snappy/aggressive. The treble is hard to tame, it can get "icepick" shrill but I usually blame my playing for that. I am actually not sure what people mean by "glassy" so I won't comment. There are a number of tones I hear that I consider "chimey" and that can mean a handful of things, so I don't want to say much more there, either, other than on occasion I do get some tones that I think are nicely chimey.

Again my amp is not a Princeton, but I will also add, the reverb is still not quite as intense as I had hoped. It does a little bit of dripping/splashing but it is not the full-bore surf sound I had expected from this legendary amp. Perhaps because it only has a "reverb" control and not dwell and mix. I use a Surfybear with it as a result. This could, again, be down to my playing, but it is a lot more fun with the SB. I do love the tremolo it has, although I wish the fastest setting was a bit faster.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a tube glow blue. I'm sure you will get some other input here from very knowledgeable folks, but it does sound like something could be off with yours, and I hope that is good news, because that means it is fixable and I hope you end up with an amp you love!

It sounds like a power tube bias problem to me.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

It sounds dull and quiet, first impression was that I was playing through a toaster, not a $1200 amp. My Vox Ac10 for $450 sounded better. I have to believe there is a defective tube or something to cause this. I had the tremolo intensity set to maximum and you could barely hear any trem, same with reverb. Maybe I just got a dud. I appreciate the input and seeing that you’re saying volume on 3 is starting to be loud for home, mine you could hear a weak fart over it at that volume.

It’s a blue/purple glow around the base of the tube but only on one power tube, not the other. And it smelled like burning hair, not the typical tube smell.

I’ll just return it and get a new one, and hopefully that one sounds better. I just know that this has got to be a fluke and the next one will have me going “wow, I’m in love”.

Last edited: Aug 05, 2021 09:32:36

Probably just a bad tube.

Well I returned it but Amazon wouldn’t replace with a new one. And go figure because when I bought it from Amazon, right after I paid, the price of the Princeton Reverb went up another $100 from what I paid. So now across the board, they’re $1200 new. Pretty upset that Amazon wouldn’t replace it with another, nope, they want the extra $100 from a new order. Not sure if I’m going to still buy another now. Fender keeps raising their prices on amps, this amp used to be like $900 new a few months ago.

Quality control is better on my Vox AC10 than a $1200 Fender. If only Leo could see what is going on now…

I've been playing with a Quilter 101 and very happy with it, if you want to save some cash but still get great sound! Now I am playing around with cabinet/speaker options for it. Bonus is that it does just fine at low volumes, no attenuator needed.

desert_surfer wrote:

Well I returned it but Amazon wouldn’t replace with a new one. And go figure because when I bought it from Amazon, right after I paid, the price of the Princeton Reverb went up another $100 from what I paid. So now across the board, they’re $1200 new. Pretty upset that Amazon wouldn’t replace it with another, nope, they want the extra $100 from a new order. Not sure if I’m going to still buy another now. Fender keeps raising their prices on amps, this amp used to be like $900 new a few months ago.

Quality control is better on my Vox AC10 than a $1200 Fender. If only Leo could see what is going on now…

I would never buy gear from Amazon. If you're going to buy online, go to a reputable online dealer like Sweetwater. They stand behind everything they sell. If you have a problem, just call them and they will make it right.

taijiguy wrote:

desert_surfer wrote:

I would never buy gear from Amazon. If you're going to buy online, go to a reputable online dealer like Sweetwater. They stand behind everything they sell. If you have a problem, just call them and they will make it right.

I would agree. Amazon is a zero customer service organization. They will accept returns, but that’s it. They don’t know the products and they don’t seem to care. That amp will probably be sold to someone else.

Yea I don’t know what I was thinking, never Amazon again. You’re right, it will be sold to someone else (and it probably was before me). Who knows what landfill they dug the amp out of. I think if I do decide to get it, I’ll go with Sweetwater. Guitar Center sucks and aren’t what they used to be. Guitar Center also doesn’t stock the original Princeton version in store either, so seems like trying before buying is in the history books and online ordering is the new thing. I like that Sweetwater shows the exact guitars you buy online (meaning they tested/played it first instead of getting a random box never tested). Never seen them with a bad review.

Last edited: Aug 07, 2021 12:23:03

desert_surfer wrote:

Yea I don’t know what I was thinking, never Amazon again. You’re right, it will be sold to someone else (and it probably was before me). Who knows what landfill they dug the amp out of. I think if I do decide to get it, I’ll go with Sweetwater. Guitar Center sucks and aren’t what they used to be. Guitar Center also doesn’t stock the original Princeton version in store either, so seems like trying before buying is in the history books and online ordering is the new thing. I like that Sweetwater shows the exact guitars you buy online (meaning they tested/played it first instead of getting a random box never tested). Never seen them with a bad review.

The problem with the Princeton you bought was either a bad tube or horrible bias. A pair of matched power tubes would probably have it back in fighting trim. A few voltage checks would tell the tale. A music dealer would, or at least should, know that. Amazon doesn’t have a clue.

Well I got to try one in a store today, and I’m still unimpressed. It sounded better than the one I ordered (obviously since this one isn’t broken), but for $1200 I couldn’t get away from that amp quick enough. Too quiet and weak sounding, reverb was ok but tremolo wasn’t throbbing like a Deluxe. Maybe it’s just me, but the ‘65 DRRI sounds miles better (I’ve owned one for years too). Too bad since I like the size but not my cup of tea for Fender 60s tones. I thought it was a mini Deluxe Reverb, so that could be my assumptions that lead to this disappointment. I’ll stick with my Vox AC10C1, for $450 it’s sounds a million times better and punchier to my ears than a $1200 amp (again, just my opinion for my ears). I know lots of people like the Princeton Reverb so it must just be my tastes, idk.

I’ll buy the 65 DRRI one day (borrowing my dad’s for now), but for now my Vox makes me smile every time I plug in (very inspiring jangle tone), and will do the job. Especially with my Surfy Bear classic, it sounds great.

Last edited: Aug 08, 2021 20:01:33

desert_surfer wrote:

Well I got to try one in a store today, and I’m still unimpressed. It sounded better than the one I ordered (obviously since this one isn’t broken), but for $1200 I couldn’t get away from that amp quick enough. Too quiet and weak sounding, reverb was ok but tremolo wasn’t throbbing like a Deluxe. Maybe it’s just me, but the ‘65 DRRI sounds miles better (I’ve owned one for years too). Too bad since I like the size but not my cup of tea for Fender 60s tones. I thought it was a mini Deluxe Reverb, so that could be my assumptions that lead to this disappointment. I’ll stick with my Vox AC10C1, for $450 it’s sounds a million times better and punchier to my ears than a $1200 amp (again, just my opinion for my ears). I know lots of people like the Princeton Reverb so it must just be my tastes, idk.

I’ll buy the 65 DRRI one day (borrowing my dad’s for now), but for now my Vox makes me smile every time I plug in (very inspiring jangle tone), and will do the job. Especially with my Surfy Bear classic, it sounds great.

There's no way a PRRI is going to match the sound of a DRRI. I walked into a Guitar Center with the purpose of buying a PRRI. There was one with a 12" speaker sitting next to a DRRI. I ended up walking out with the DRRI. But I've since sold the DRRI and bought a PRRI with a 10" speaker. I replaced the speaker with a Weber California. That was an improvement, but it's still not a DRRI.

taijiguy wrote:

desert_surfer wrote:

There's no way a PRRI is going to match the sound of a DRRI. I walked into a Guitar Center with the purpose of buying a PRRI. There was one with a 12" speaker sitting next to a DRRI. I ended up walking out with the DRRI. But I've since sold the DRRI and bought a PRRI with a 10" speaker. I replaced the speaker with a Weber California. That was an improvement, but it's still not a DRRI.

I was completely caught off guard with how different they sound. I don’t play loud, as I play Deluxe on maybe 2.5 tops at home (sometimes plug into the 2nd input for quiet), but the tone was different too. Deluxe had the strong, clear tone and I mistakenly thought Princeton Reverb was just the lightweight younger brother of it. Tremolo/reverb didn’t sound as intense either, which was odd (was trying to get the Crimson and Clover depth and it couldn’t do it like the Deluxe can). I have nothing against 10” speakers (my Vox has one and you’d never guess, lots of low end), and I even tried the Princeton with the 12”, but it wasn’t doing anything for me.

I’ve had a two 65 Deluxe Reverb reissues over the years since I started playing guitar, and bought/sold them trying to see if there was anything better out there (no there isn’t haha, well for me). For myself (and my back) there isn’t, and it’s the one I always keep coming back too. I’ll likely end up buying my dad’s Deluxe or buy a new one someday, as to me that’s the Fender tone I like in a portable package. Darn Deluxe Reverb, you win again!! Ha.

taijiguy wrote:

desert_surfer wrote:

I was completely caught off guard with how different they sound. I don’t play loud, as I play Deluxe on maybe 2.5 tops at home (sometimes plug into the 2nd input for quiet), but the tone was different too. Deluxe had the strong, clear tone and I mistakenly thought Princeton Reverb was just the lightweight younger brother of it. Tremolo/reverb didn’t sound as intense either, which was odd (was trying to get the Crimson and Clover depth and it couldn’t do it like the Deluxe can). I have nothing against 10” speakers (my Vox has one and you’d never guess, lots of low end), and I even tried the Princeton with the 12”, but it wasn’t doing anything for me.

I’ve had a two 65 Deluxe Reverb reissues over the years since I started playing guitar, and bought/sold them trying to see if there was anything better out there (no there isn’t haha, well for me). For myself (and my back) there isn’t, and it’s the one I always keep coming back too. I’ll likely end up buying my dad’s Deluxe or buy a new one someday, as to me that’s the Fender tone I like in a portable package. Darn Deluxe Reverb, you win again!! Ha.

Last edited: Aug 08, 2021 21:12:25

desert_surfer wrote:

The Princeton Reverb is a much different animal than the Deluxe Reverb. The phase inverter is a zero gain device on the Princeton, while it is gain increasing device on the Deluxe Reverb. Even a Blackface Princeton has a lot of Brownface DNA and the Brownface Princeton was not much different from the Tweed Vibrolux. The Deluxe Reverb, as well as its larger siblings, were fairly high-gain amps for their era and a step away from their predecessors. These were real hot rods. The DRRI is a great amp.

If you want less headroom, the ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb will provide it, but it’s not as bright as the DRRI, because it does not have the C10 “Bright Cap” in the Vibrato channel, so it won’t quite get you to the brilliance of the vibrato channel of the DRRI. OTOH, it has the Custom channel, with more midrange and a tone stack from a Blonde Bassman (or a Blackface Super Reverb).

I have a ‘68 CDR, which has been modified to restore the headroom to DRRI levels by decreasing the value of the negative feedback resistor. One of these fine days, I intend to install a bright cap on the Vibrato channel and then I’ll have the best of both worlds, a DRRI Vibrato channel and more midrange in the other channel, which is at least a step in the direction of the classic Brownface Fender sound.

Synchro, for me the brighter/more treble and headroom, the better, so I like the 65 line. I think the smaller size of the Princeton looked cool, but the sound was not what I had in mind.

desert_surfer wrote:

Synchro, for me the brighter/more treble and headroom, the better, so I like the 65 line. I think the smaller size of the Princeton looked cool, but the sound was not what I had in mind.

It’s a very good amp, roigjt out of the box.

Page 1 of 1