Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink TAB for "The Hearse" by The Astronauts posted to SG101’s Tablature Downloads area

Page 1 of 1

I have uploaded a PDF of the TAB for “The Hearse” by The Astronauts in SurfGuitar 101’s Tablature Downloads area. The Hearse was written by famed producer Lee Hazlewood, more famous in surf circles for "Baja", and originally released by Al Casey with the K-C-Ettes in September 1963. It was then released by The Astronauts in February 1964 on the album Competition Coupe. Despite the dour title, the tune is upbeat and breezy, clocking in at a spritely 2 minutes 18 seconds. I like it quite a bit and took the time to create the tablature in GuitarPro.

There are also a couple of backing tracks for "The Hearse" in the SG10 Backing Tracks area. The tune is simple and would be a good one for beginners.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
My Classic Instrumental Surf Music Timeline
SSS Agent #777

Cool tune! Thanks Tim.

-John

"...enjoy every sandwich." -Warren Zevon

Fender Stratocaster American Pro II
Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Hi John, Glad you enjoyed it. Happy to be the recipient of your first post. Welcome to SG101. Glad you are here.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

Tim, I've been getting into playing and enjoying surf guitar for a few months now and I'm loving it. The Hearse is on my list of tunes to learn.

-John

Thanks for posting this. It’s a great tune and that Astronauts’ drip is right there, front and center. Surfers used old hearses to carry their long boards, back in the day. For a real surfer, they were a symbol of good times at the beach.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

I'm having trouble with the first four measures of the tab. In The Astronauts recording, to me the introduction sounds like the low E string is being double-picked for four measures (or something to that effect). Am I hearing something different?

-John

jtrollmann wrote:

I'm having trouble with the first four measures of the tab. In The Astronauts recording, to me the introduction sounds like the low E string is being double-picked for four measures (or something to that effect). Am I hearing something different?

It sounds to me like there’s a second guitar in there playing the lower part. I didn’t woodshed it with my guitar, but it sounds like he’s probably playing an E3 (4th string, second fret), because at one point I can hear it going down to a D.

You could play that intro two octaves lower, as well. I would wager that it would sound good.

BTW, nice work on the notation and tab, SilverFlash.

jtrollmann wrote:

I'm having trouble with the first four measures of the tab.

Hi John, I almost made a note about skipping the first four bars. I just tabbed what I saw in Rocksmith, but, to me, it sounds like it was processed with some studio effects. I just could not make that part sound like the recording. Other tab I have seen for "The Hearse" start with the verse. I think that is completely acceptable for live situations.

synchro wrote:

Thank you, Synchro! And ding-ding-ding, thanks for clueing me in on the hearse surf board connection. I guess I was focusing on the "hotrod" aspect of the Competition Coupe album and completely missed the surf angle.

-Tim
MyYouTubeChannel
SSS Agent #777

SilverFlash wrote:

jtrollmann wrote:

I'm having trouble with the first four measures of the tab.

Hi John, I almost made a note about skipping the first four bars. I just tabbed what I saw in Rocksmith, but, to me, it sounds like it was processed with some studio effects. I just could not make that part sound like the recording. Other tab I have seen for "The Hearse" start with the verse. I think that is completely acceptable for live situations.

synchro wrote:

Thank you, Synchro! And ding-ding-ding, thanks for clueing me in on the hearse surf board connection. I guess I was focusing on the "hotrod" aspect of the Competition Coupe album and completely missed the surf angle.

What I’ve found in learning songs is that a bit of orientation speeds things along, but I rarely, if ever, adhere to the arrangement 100%. This makes me a member of a fairly large club; just listen to various period covers of Pipeline. They are all over the map, and it’s a tricky song, because the bridge starts on the 11th measure of the second verse, completely breaking the model of the 16 bar first verse. Hey, that’s cool as can be, but I’ve heard Pipeline played a lot of different ways over the years and I played it wrong for a long time. So a written arrangement really helps.

I think I’ll add The Hearse to our repertoire. I have a soft spot for the Astronaut’s music anyhow and they sure had a wonderful sound. I have read that the lead player had a prototype Fender Reverb loaned to the band my Leo, himself. It makes me wonder if there was a variation in spec’ on that reverb that made it sound, for lack of a better term, “drippier”. I dunno; I haven’t had enough coffee yet to reliably remember my name. Smile

I was a child in the sixties, but having an older sister and older cousins exposed me to the youth culture of the time, at an early age. Hearses we’re sort of a thing back then, but probably for practical reasons as much as anything else. Musicians loved them as gear haulers, surfers loved them as board haulers and sometimes it was just a matter of something which was likely to have been well maintained by the original owners and inexpensive on the used market, because of limited appeal. Of course, there was also the factor that driving around in a hearse flew in the face of convention, and that was big, back in the day.

Lee Hazlewood, who wrote "The Hearse" also wrote several of Duane Eddy's hits including "Rebel Rouser" and other memorable songs including Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walkin'."

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Tim, I appreciate you making this tab available for download. The song shares a similar structure and simplicity with Baja (also written by Lee Hazlewood) which I love. Both have a driving beat which makes them fun to jam to.

-John

jtrollmann wrote:

I’m sure you’ve figured it out by now but the drippy rhythm plucking is just 8th notes on the low E string in drop D. Starts with open D then up two frets to E, back to D then G on the 5th fret.

4/4 (palm muted 8th note plucking) : |D - - - |D - - - |E - - - |E - - - |D - - - |D - - - |G - - - | G - - - |G - - - |D - - - |G - - - |E - - - |C - - - |D - - - |E - - - - - - - - -

Last edited: Sep 15, 2023 23:01:07

Page 1 of 1