Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink PV ‘65 vs ‘57/‘62 pickups for brighter sound

Page 1 of 1

I have an issue. My strat has Fender Pure Vintage ‘59 pickups in it, they sound great but very mellow and not that bright. They don’t get as much drip from my new SurfyBear classic even with tone cranked, as my 60s Musicmaster which drips like crazy and is very bright and cuts like glass. I need to try a new set of pickups and only wish to do this once as it gets expensive. I’ve searched forums and everywhere but get mixed feelings about the 57/62 set versus the PV 65 set, which are the two I’ve narrowed it down to. Anyone have experience between the two, and which would be more of an improvement in the “bright” surfy area compared to the darker 59s I have?

It seems crazy that I can’t get that sound out of the $150 59s I have in there but there is a big difference between those and my real 60s Musicmaster, and I want what would be closest to that Musicmaster (which only flaw is it doesn’t have a tremolo bar, otherwise it has THAT jangly sound).

BTW I use a 65 Deluxe Reverb with treble on 8 and it’s still not enough. Crazy.

Thank you! Gotta get this strat bright and surfy. It’s just hard to figure out which one will have that jangly quality but not “hot” or classic rock-ish.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021 22:38:02

Since you still haven’t gotten responses, I’ll do my best though it might not be super useful. My previous favorite pickups were the original 57/62 pickups (prior to the change to make them more vintage correct sometime in the 2000s). They had nice bite and clarity. They were also not hurting for treble either. I realize that you’re more likely to be looking at the more recent 57/62s which have the beveled pole pieces however.

I’m also wondering why you’re at a lack for treble in your current setup with the deluxe reverb with the treble at 8. Something seems off since even with the 65s in there, you should have no problems finding “clarity” from a strat with vintage style pickups. Could there be something going on with your amp, tubes, or speaker that’s attenuating the treble so much?

I know that you get the highs you want out of the musicmaster, but I’ve heard that they are thinner sounding than a typical strat to begin with (not sure if that’s true), and I’ve not heard of too many people running a deluxe reverb with the treble at 8 (is your bass at 10? Is the bright switch down?)

-Eric

New music!
https://thedesolatecoast.bandcamp.com/releases
Spotify

Also:
https://theverb.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/theverbseattle/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021 09:05:41

Nothing wrong with the Deluxe Reverb. Stock reissue and had the tubes changed a few years ago. Bass is about 4 and normally never have treble up that high for any other guitar, but this strat seems too mellow and dark. There’s no bright switch on the Deluxe. The Musicmaster is thinner sounding and almost like a mustang, very twangy and such which I like. As soon as it’s plugged in, you go “whoa there, ok I can hear you!”. I don’t have issues getting the drippy reverb and cutting tones from any of my other guitars, including Teiscos. I just think these 59 pickups are lacking the treble to produce the reverb drip and the cutting sound and it drives me nuts that my main guitar, the strat, doesn’t produce that sound that the others do, so it must be the pickups. I love these pickups for other genres, like 50s songs because it’s not as ice-picky, but maybe since they are so mellow, they’re not driving the reverb as much as the other guitars.

I have a 0.022uf capacitor in the strat. Should I change that?

Plenty of people use strats for surf, but I have a feeling most have 60s style pickups in there. The PV 65 is the newer model pickup out but all the other forums have to say is “it sounds like Hendrix”. I’m hoping a swap for a Fender 60s pickup set will be the cure for the lack of drip and bright clear tones.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021 11:00:57

I can't say anything about those pickup options, but I wonder if your strat might benefit from changing the pots or raising the height of the pickups. Do you know what value pots are in it?

edwardsand wrote:

I can't say anything about those pickup options, but I wonder if your strat might benefit from changing the pots or raising the height of the pickups. Do you know what value pots are in it?

Yes, brand new (few months old) CTS 250k pots. I could try raising the pickups, but they seem pretty high already, and it just had a setup few months ago. It’s a 50s style Fender Strat MIM that I upgraded everything on it to be high quality 50s style Fender Repro parts.

I use Ernie Ball roundwound 10’s on all of the guitars too.

Just weird that the other guitars “drip” with the SurfyBear like crazy, and I plug in the strat and it does, but not nearly as much.

Thinking maybe the PV 65s as a 1965 strat must be in the era of “bright, clear, loud” and by me picking the 59s before, I was still in the darker era. Even the packaging on the 65s describe them for loud, clean and clear surf tones.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021 10:49:14

Alright so maybe I’m impatient or just excited to get this guitar to my liking. Ordered the Fender Pure Vintage ‘65 set through Amazon. Worst case they have free returns. I figured their PV series is great and if 1965 strat pickups, the pinnacle of bright and cutting, are not enough for me, then I must be crazy. I just want to be able to play my new SurfyBear classic and after dropping that amount of money on a reverb unit, I better be able to get as good of a drippy tone out of my expensive strat as I can get out of a cheap Teisco.

I will post an update once I get them and install.

Congrats on going for the PV '65s! Cool

FWIW, I've had PV '59s, 57/62s in the past and currently have a AV '65 Strat with its stock pickups. I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the AV '65 stock pickups were the same as the Pure Vintage '65 pickups.

I love the '59s for the clarity and bell-like chimey-ness but they were a little darker in tone compared to the other 2 types. You can surf with them, but for me, I pretty much play along at home using iTunes with my fave surf songs and I never felt like I had the tone dialed in with the '59s - I find my AV '65 stock pickups more versatile in that regard. If I ever get another Strat, I'll get some PV '59s for it because they're quite nice.

I've had the older '57/'62s in the past and they were great for surf and pretty much anything else. If I recall correctly, they were a little mellower than the '65s but still excellent pickups. I don't know how the new version sounds.

I think the AV '65 Strat's stock pickups are brighter than the '59s and '57/'62. They do surf and pretty much anything else very well.

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

Surfysonic wrote:

Congrats on going for the PV '65s! Cool

FWIW, I've had PV '59s, 57/62s in the past and currently have a AV '65 Strat with its stock pickups. I've always assumed (perhaps incorrectly?) that the AV '65 stock pickups were the same as the Pure Vintage '65 pickups.

I love the '59s for the clarity and bell-like chimey-ness but they were a little darker in tone compared to the other 2 types. You can surf with them, but for me, I pretty much play along at home using iTunes with my fave surf songs and I never felt like I had the tone dialed in with the '59s - I find my AV '65 stock pickups more versatile in that regard. If I ever get another Strat, I'll get some PV '59s for it because they're quite nice.

I've had the older '57/'62s in the past and they were great for surf and pretty much anything else. If I recall correctly, they were a little mellower than the '65s but still excellent pickups. I don't know how the new version sounds.

I think the AV '65 Strat's stock pickups are brighter than the '59s and '57/'62. They do surf and pretty much anything else very well.

This just gave me the confidence and answer I needed, thank you! Thought it was just me going looney. I feel the same way too about the 59s. They’re awesome, great for everything else and they do surf, and if I had another strat I would keep them in one. But exactly as you said, compared to the traditional songs playing at home (which is all I do currently), the 59s are dark. I also am thinking the reverb drip favors brighter tone and could be why the 59s struggle to drip. I couldn’t get the “Baja” tone from them, where the other guitars did.

I’m glad you’ve tried them all and are sticking with the 65s. One day when I buy a Jaguar, I may put the 59s back and have two different guitars, but for now this is a cheaper way than buying a whole new Jag guitar.

I’m excited to get the new pickups in, thanks for replying! Helps when there’s someone who’s been down the same road. This site is great. Every other forum is concerned about how “hot” they are and bluesy, not what I’m going for. (Imagine a world where some guitarists compare clean tone…I know, crazy right…ha)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021 13:43:20

Happy to help! Putting the PV '59s in a Jaguar sounds like a very interesting idea. It's got me thinking of putting a set into a Squier Paranormal Cyclone if I get one. Well, guess I'll go look for some deals out there! Cool

Another possible option (forgive me if you've already considered this) is wire up the new PV '65 pickups in another pickguard. If you decide you prefer the '59s after all, swapping out the whole pickguard with pickups might prove a simpler task.

As well, you can save the '59 set in the current pickguard for a future Strat upgrade or build if you enjoy that sort of thing...which I tend to do now and again. Big Grin

Surfysonic on YouTube

Surfysonic wrote:

Happy to help! Putting the PV '59s in a Jaguar sounds like a very interesting idea. It's got me thinking of putting a set into a Squier Paranormal Cyclone if I get one. Well, guess I'll go look for some deals out there! Cool

Another possible option (forgive me if you've already considered this) is wire up the new PV '65 pickups in another pickguard. If you decide you prefer the '59s after all, swapping out the whole pickguard with pickups might prove a simpler task.

As well, you can save the '59 set in the current pickguard for a future Strat upgrade or build if you enjoy that sort of thing...which I tend to do now and again. Big Grin

Never thought of putting 59s in a Jag but I’m sure it would sound cool! I guess I meant put them back in the strat if I buy a Jag, so I have best of both worlds. Good idea to put into another pickguard. Actually, would be cool to swap the two pickguards that have each set in and out from time to time, a prewired pickguard version of a “pedal” for the guitar. Gear is an addiction, though I’m used to it. The adult version of Santa is looking out the window for a delivery truck.

Just looked up what the Paranormal Cyclone is, looks awesome. Surprised I’ve never seen one before. Prices aren’t bad either.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021 16:30:51

desert_surfer wrote:

Surfysonic wrote:

Never thought of putting 59s in a Jag but I’m sure it would sound cool! I guess I meant put them back in the strat if I buy a Jag, so I have best of both worlds. Good idea to put into another pickguard. Actually, would be cool to swap the two pickguards that have each set in and out from time to time, a prewired pickguard version of a “pedal” for the guitar. Gear is an addiction, though I’m used to it. The adult version of Santa is looking out the window for a delivery truck.

Just looked up what the Paranormal Cyclone is, looks awesome. Surprised I’ve never seen one before. Prices aren’t bad either.

D'oh! Sorry, I misread your previous post. NM about the PV '59s into the Jag! Embarrassed

Yeah, I actually found a deal on Reverb for a used Squier Paranormal Cyclone at a decent price. I'll give the stock pickups a fair shake - if I do decide to upgrade them, I'll go with the PV '59s. Big Grin

Surfysonic on YouTube

Wow, now you’ve got a bunch of replies. I’m glad that others had more experience with those specific pickups. I forget that the deluxe doesn’t have the bright switch. I’ve always had plenty/too much treble through my tank and amp, especially with strats, so your issue was new to me.

Let us know how the 65s work out.

-Eric

New music!
Spotify

Also:

Installed the PV ‘65 set today and only played for a little so far but all I can say is wow, this solves my issue! Love them. Plenty of bite, cleaner and brighter, and more output but not like a blues “hot” output, just better suited for louder clean tones. The reverb drip is soaking wet now, oh yes! SurfyBear is a matching pair now, and I can get the Baja tone and more. Highly recommended the Fender Pure Vintage ‘65 pickups for surf and 60s clean tone in general. Without doing this swap, I wasn’t getting 100% out of my new SurfyBear. Such a difference with reverb compared to the 59s. Anyone that needs the real 60s strat surf tone, can’t go wrong with the 65s. The in-between pickup settings are so useable, actually find myself using these more now with the SurfyBear than before. Very happy now! Surfs up

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021 21:33:16

Groundbreaking (for me) discovery here. I usually play Dunlop blue tortex (1.0) heavy picks, as I don’t like the pick to bend. Picked up a Fender Medium tortoiseshell pick (the standard type everyone has played) and surprised to find that it generates more drip from the reverb. I’ve been going back and forth between the picks and though I like the feel of the heavy Dunlop, this medium Fender is getting more drip tones as odd as that is, which for me is awesome. Maybe it hits the strings lighter for more of a “plink”, resulting in a more prominent drip? Whatever it is has got me exploring into the world of picks. Never thought picks could change tone, thought it was just personal preference of feel. Now imagine different strings! Sorry to take this off topic, but lots of tone exploration to ensue, which is fun and cheap since it’s just picks and strings. Fender Medium, go figure.

Still loving these new 65 pickups. Paired with a blackface Fender, mmmmm.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021 21:17:40

I'm also a huge fan of the Fender Medium picks. My only complaint about them is that I break 1-2 every gig so I have to be sure to have new ones easy available on stage. Otherwise the tone from Fender Medium is great.

Long time Fender Medium pick guy - I'm not really comfortable with anything else. Smile

Surfysonic on YouTube

I’ve never used the in-between strat pickup settings so much as I do now, I feel like those are the ones that generate the most drip from the reverb and also sound closest to a Jaguar’s plinky sound. Anyone else notice this? On the ‘59 pickups, I used mostly the middle or bridge, but now with these 65s, I use those too but the in betweens are magical as well. Middle + bridge is one of my go-to’s which used to never be. Getting a lot more versatility out of my rig now that I changed the pickups.

Last edited: Jul 04, 2021 12:02:08

That’s great! I know what you mean about those in between positions. My baritone strat build has antiquity surfers in it. With those, I am the same way. I often use the the bridge and middle alone, but now I will also use the bridge/middle and middle/neck frequently since they sound so much better than what I was used to.

-Eric

New music!
Spotify

Also:

I own a 1994 fender 60s stratocaster, MIJ, and thought it sounded pretty good until the neck pickup went bad. I replaced the entire set of pickups with Fender Fat 50s, and I LOVE them. They are indeed FAT, and due to the rosewood board, was a balanced beautiful tone.
Drip on,
Curmudgeon

**desert_surfer wrote:

It's been a while and I forgot to do a NGD post. I got a Squier Paranormal Cyclone. It was decent with the stock pickups but I can never leave well enough alone most of the time. Some guitar friends recommended to me Q pickups out of Croatia via Reverb. I got the Q Stratocaster Foil Custom Wound pickups. They sound amazing and are reasonably priced.

I ended up getting a set of Q's 1962-63 Jaguar pickups for my Squier Classic Vibe '70s Jaguar and Q's 1964 Stratocaster Hand Wound Vintage Correct Stratocaster pickups for my Squier Classic Vibe '50s Stratocaster. All sound fantastic! Cool

Then a friend recommended me this Competition Stripes decal to look a little more like the Fender Cyclone (I had 2 of them and foolishly sold both, D'oh!).

Surfysonic on YouTube

Page 1 of 1