Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Mixer for solo act?

Page 1 of 1

I need a small mixer for my solo act. My PA is a pair of QSC CP12 powered speakers; one of them usually easily covers the venues I play solo.

Running one mic for minimal between-songs banter and occasional vocal, minimal drum tracks, and my guitar via direct out from my Aviator Cub in the rare instance such is required.

Looking at Yamaha MG06X, as it SIMPLE and has minimal but adequate effects (reverb for the the vocal) for my use.

I'm not a PA guy. Any suggestions are welcome.

Grace & Peace

Trust me. The sharks are the least of our problems.

I have the same PA speakers as you, they are phenomenal. They're very high quality, loud, and not terribly heavy. Anyway, I would recommend the mixer that I personally use. I have a Yamaha MG10XU.

It is easy to use, light weight, and overall does a great job for what we (the band) use it for. You really can't go wrong with it. Let us know what you decide to get.

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

those little yamahas are very capable and easy to use. I'd spend the extra $100 and go with the higher channel count version.

at minimum I prefer parametric eqs on every output, graphics for monitors if I can't have PEQ, but if it's just guitar, tracks, and an announcement mic, the yamaha notepad mixers are just fine:

as a career audio tech, I just bought a b-stock yamaha TF-rack despite my general preference for anything other than yamaha at work. it's got enough I/O to support a (well rehearsed) band. totally overkill for solo, but a surprising piece of gear:

Last edited: May 26, 2021 03:12:55

I have a trio and duo (w/o drums)

For my Duo (guitar/vocals/upright bass) I can get a way with just using my powered speaker (EV) and plugging my mic directly into it. It can take two inputs.

For my Trio, I use the same single speaker but add a Mackie 4 channel mixer. The mackie is nothing fancy, no effects and simple eq, it gives me enough ump volume wise with my Trio. The mackie has great clean built in onyx preamps.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ4--mackie-402vlz4-4-channel-mixer?mrkgadid=984185277&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gdsa&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=generic&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=39700048800210508&lid=39700048800210508&ds_s_kwgid=58700005371980883&device=c&network=g&matchtype=b&adpos&locationid=9032311&creative=452849193005&targetid=dsa-824852042819&campaignid=6730319002&awsearchcpc=1&gclsrc=aw.ds&&rkg_id=0&campaigntype=dsa&campaign=aaDSA&adgroup=984185277%3ADSA+-+Product&placement=google

Last edited: May 27, 2021 13:25:55

Thanks for the recommendations and input all. I needed to keep the mixer’s footprint as small as possible, which is why I was looking at 6 channel boards (“1 Trip Rule”). I ended up going with the Mackie Profx6v3, as the Yamaha is backordered until August. Gigged with it three times now and it’s been outstanding. Easy for this non-PA retrogrouch to use, great effects, and SMALL—-everything I need and nothing I don’t. I tried both an SM58 and an SM57 direct into the CP12 on a few gigs and it was “OK” for between songs banter, beyond that not so much. I prefer to do my acoustic set on my 000-18 mic’ed with an SM27 and thus need phantom power, reverb and minimal EQ are a big plus. The little Mackie ticks all the boxes. So far, so good; so good, so happy. YMMV. Grace, Peace & Reverb.

Trust me. The sharks are the least of our problems.

Unfortunately, the MG series from Yamaha are cheap for a reason - they're not the best. I've had good luck with Mackie's VLZ series, even buying used. The 802VLZ would be what you need, or get a used 1202 and have room to grow. The MG may be inexpensive, but will develop noise and other issues down the road. With gear I like to buy once, cry once. I have had 4 different VLZ mixers and still have a 402 for small gigs, and a DL1608 digital mixer for larger ones.

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; '80 Princeton Reverb
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

I got a used Allen & Heath for practically nothing and it's great. There's a ton of pro grade analog mixers on the market as everyone's gone digital

Somewhere I have a couple of small Behringer mixers that would do the trick. One of them even powers itself via USB and is also an interface for computer. They sound fine to me for the hasty purpose intended.

SSIV

Page 1 of 1