Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Any Nash JM users out there?

Page 1 of 1

Are there any Nash JM users on here? If so how are you getting on with yours?

I bought one new last year. Plays looks, and sounds great. Personally found the buzz stop totally unnecessary, and the trem a bit crappy. Had a few issues with with the electrics too which is strange, because if you look inside, they are so nice and neatly done, with vintage grade cloth covered wiring too.
Got a Mastery trem on the way. Should be great after that.

Are Nash still basically high end parts guitars? They would buy bodies and necks from other suppliers and do the finish work and assembly in house. There used to be something about this on their website but I no longer see it.

I've had some through the shop that were killer and some that were questionable. Overall very nice guitars with a little tweaking. Gotta love the Mastery trem, good move!

Toneschaser wrote:

Are Nash still basically high end parts guitars? They would buy bodies and necks from other suppliers and do the finish work and assembly in house. There used to be something about this on their website but I no longer see it.

I've had some through the shop that were killer and some that were questionable. Overall very nice guitars with a little tweaking. Gotta love the Mastery trem, good move!

I think it's still pretty much the same thing as before, but when doing my research, it seems they upped the quality a little with small details such as the pickguards. I played one of the early ones at a friend's house about 10 years ago, and they certainly have improved since then. The neck and fretwork are great on mine. They've also tamed the radius a little.
I've just had some bad luck with the electrics. Had a bad pot in there from new. When dealing with them, Bill Nash answered personally, and he was super friendly and helpful.
I just don't know why the put the buzz stop on there really. It renders the trem pretty much useless, and it's a pretty stiff trem without the buzz stop on in the first place...

Never have played a Nash but have seen them in person at guitar shows. I wouldn't sweat the idea of them being a "parts guitar". The truth is, most Fenders are "parts guitars". I will say, I don't get the use of a buzz stop on what is basically a custom made guitar. Can't see why the folks over at Nash couldn't take the time to throw a nice Stew Mac shim in the neck pocket or even better, just spec the JM/Jag bodies they use with a shallower neck pocket (that's what Fender does on the American Pro JM's).
Very cool that you got to speak directly with Bill Nash (one of the nice things about dealing with many of the "Booteek" builders is great customer service and being able to speak to a real person rather quickly). The other thing is.....we demand that you post pictures of that nice JM asap.

I had a Nash Precision Bass several years back. It came with a Lollar pickup and it was a great sounding bass but it was unquestionably a parts bass and the fit and finish was very poor, nowhere near a comparable MIM Road Worn Fender that at the time was half the price of the Nash. The supposedly Fiesta Red paint job on my Nash was so awful that I had it professionally refinished and more lightly reliced so that it would at least look halfway convincing.

However, it does seem that the QC at Nash has improved since I bought mine based on the original poster's comments. I probably would still have mine after the refinish had I not traded it toward a different bass that I liked better.

IMO a parts bass or guitar is fine if they are done properly. My very favorite bass ("The Mongrel") is one of those.

Jack
aka WoodyJ

The Mariners (1964-68, 1996-2005)
The Hula Hounds (1996-current)
The X-Rays (1997-2004)
The Surge! (2004, 2011-2012)
Various non-surf bands that actually made money
(1978-1990)

Last edited: May 16, 2021 10:53:51

I’ve never quite understood why anyone would spend that much on a Nash, every one I’ve ever seen or played had a horrible finish and felt cheaply made.

What’s the attraction to them? Can’t you get a custom shop or nicer boutique for the same $$$?

Maybe my impression of them is a bit off b/c we had them here in Seattle very early on and they were just awful - perhaps they’ve improved of late?

Last edited: May 18, 2021 08:47:03

Page 1 of 1