Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » For Sale / Trade »

Permalink Wanted : Gomez Surfer

Page 1 of 1

Hi all
Still on the prowl for o e of these beasts
Many thanks

Had one, sold it. Miss it dearly. Different tone to my 6G14 (also sold) and 6G14-A Showman, but man it was an amazingly glorious tone. Good luck. I need to pick up another one myself.

I thought it was a 6g14?

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

I thought it was a 6g14?

Ah man, sorry. I feel like I just always shiftkey the G. I didn't know that mattered! Ya learn something new every day.

N0_Camping4U wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

I thought it was a 6g14?

Ah man, sorry. I feel like I just always shiftkey the G. I didn't know that mattered! Ya learn something new every day.

Haha! I was taking about the sound not the capitalization! I thought those Surfers were a 6g14 clone, or at least based on it. So I was curious how different it sounded compared to your real 6g14? Sorry for the confusion! I think you’re way is right, 6G14, but I like it with the lower case!
Dan

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

N0_Camping4U wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

I thought it was a 6g14?

Haha! I was taking about the sound not the capitalization! I thought those Surfers were a 6g14 clone, or at least based on it. So I was curious how different it sounded compared to your real 6g14? Sorry for the confusion! I think you’re way is right, 6G14, but I like it with the lower case!
Dan

Ah yes, I see. Yeah the Gomez, I'm sure, was the 6G14 clone. I had a real one for a spell. Then I got a 6G14-A Showman, AND had the Gomez. They were truly all different in their own regards. Despite the Gomez being a clone. Lot of variables and factors at play. I did put all brand new matching tubes in them too at the same time. Still sounded different, and the controls, bass, treble, etc, parameters altered the sounds differently, and not exactly equally.

The treble on the Gomez was much more responsive, but the bass was lacking compared to the real 6G14. That thing got BASSY. Played through the same tone ring cab. I felt the 6G14-A was the best blend of both of them.... And it dripped better than both of them which was huge to me Big Grin . I could make the 6G14-A emulate both 6G14 and Gomez in tone, to an extent... but neither could emulate drip.

I like to play bass and bass vi through the 6G14-A + tone ring, and it did it better than both those amps.
I'm not as much a vintage gear nut either, I sold my first year reverb unit because the surfy bear is better (and drippier!). But I can't get rid of the 6G14-A. Don't knock it, till you try it.

Also, for those wanting to build a Showman clone... I say this all the time... Look into Fender Studio Bass Amps. I got one for stupid cheap. Took the guts, dropped it into a blonde+ox blood Mojotone head, use it with my backup tonering ... And that thing SMOKES, baby. Massive headroom, on-board EQ with a foot switch; sounds pointless... But you can dial in the EQ for either chords/lead/drip, and then stomp the EQ and touch nothing else and you're in a whole other territory for a song/passage. These are cheap amps and I sometimes use it OVER the Showman. Killer killer amps that no one knows about.

May the force be with you.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021 09:21:45

AFAIK, the Gomez Surfer was modeled after the 6G14-A.
You can see a snapshot of the website from internet archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150222053232/http://gomezamps.com/surfer.html

Ran

The Scimitars

N0_Camping4U wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

N0_Camping4U wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

I thought it was a 6g14?

Dan

Ah yes, I see. Yeah the Gomez, I'm sure, was the 6G14 clone. I had a real one for a spell. Then I got a 6G14-A Showman, AND had the Gomez. They were truly all different in their own regards. Despite the Gomez being a clone. Lot of variables and factors at play. I did put all brand new matching tubes in them too at the same time. Still sounded different, and the controls, bass, treble, etc, parameters altered the sounds differently, and not exactly equally.

The treble on the Gomez was much more responsive, but the bass was lacking compared to the real 6G14. That thing got BASSY. Played through the same tone ring cab. I felt the 6G14-A was the best blend of both of them.... And it dripped better than both of them which was huge to me Big Grin . I could make the 6G14-A emulate both 6G14 and Gomez in tone, to an extent... but neither could emulate drip.

I like to play bass and bass vi through the 6G14-A + tone ring, and it did it better than both those amps.
I'm not as much a vintage gear nut either, I sold my first year reverb unit because the surfy bear is better (and drippier!). But I can't get rid of the 6G14-A. Don't knock it, till you try it.

Also, for those wanting to build a Showman clone... I say this all the time... Look into Fender Studio Bass Amps. I got one for stupid cheap. Took the guts, dropped it into a blonde+ox blood Mojotone head, use it with my backup tonering ... And that thing SMOKES, baby. Massive headroom, on-board EQ with a foot switch; sounds pointless... But you can dial in the EQ for either chords/lead/drip, and then stomp the EQ and touch nothing else and you're in a whole other territory for a song/passage. These are cheap amps and I sometimes use it OVER the Showman. Killer killer amps that no one knows about.

May the force be with you.

So my 6g14A is a super rare double showman, and it goes with a 215 cab. It DOES drip way more than the 6g14! (Which I somehow only just really figured out.) The 6g14 clone is super bassy, super super bassy. I have the bass knob almost all the way down. Does a Fender Studio Bass Amp have that midrange glory? The dark midrange bubbling up through the chime?

Very interesting that the Surfer sounded different than the real 6g14, but I can kind of imagine it the way you describe it. When Carl built the 6g14 clone, he asked me if I wanted him to tweak a few things to provide more headroom. I said yes. I f-ing LOVE the clean tone of that thing. But I'll always wonder how it sounds next to a Fender 6g14...

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021 11:49:34

_Also, for those wanting to build a Showman clone... I say this all the time... Look into Fender Studio Bass Amps. I got one for stupid cheap. Took the guts, dropped it into a blonde+ox blood Mojotone head, use it with my backup tonering ... And that thing SMOKES, baby. Massive headroom, on-board EQ with a foot switch; sounds pointless... But you can dial in the EQ for either chords/lead/drip, and then stomp the EQ and touch nothing else and you're in a whole other territory for a song/passage. These are cheap amps and I sometimes use it OVER the Showman. Killer killer amps that no one knows about.

May the force be with you._

I couldn't say it better —

www.LosVenturas.be

There's two Studio Bass Amps on Reverb 'local pickup only'. 725 and 750. My old roommate loved mine so much he went the same route I did. He convinced a gentleman on Reverb (who also had it listed as local pickup only) to pull the guts out and take out tubes and ship essentially the 'goods' for a lower price. The amps are absolutely fantastic. I've owned 2 Showmans, a Gomez surfer, and sold all but one 6G14-A and then got the Studio Bass amp. I think all in it was 700-800 bucks. Though, of course, many moons ago... The active EQ is so convenient and nifty. If only I could find a brownface showman faceplate repro .....

I really should upload a video comparing the 6G14-A and Studio Bass Amp head in the same cab when I get moved into the new house...

N0_Camping4U wrote:

I really should upload a video comparing the 6G14-A and Studio Bass Amp head in the same cab when I get moved into the new house...

I would love to hear that! Does it have that beefy midrange? Or is that something you have to EQ in?

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

N0_Camping4U wrote:

I would love to hear that! Does it have that beefy midrange? Or is that something you have to EQ in?

I just moved into a new house and have a bunch of crap in boxed - if I get time in the coming month I'll try to compare them. I just feel it would be hard to dial in similar tones to compare them evenly. But once I mess with them, If I think I can pull off something worth showing off, I'll make a video!

Page 1 of 1