Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Anyone tried the reissue Silvertone 1478?

Page 1 of 1

Same price as a Squier, made in Indonesia.

I'm wondering if those pickups have any bass.

https://www.silvertoneclassic.com/guitars/model-1478/

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021 09:25:57

I expect the pickups would have some bass, but you'd have to try it in person to really judge. The best part of those old Silvertones was the DeArmond pickups, and they claim to have duplicated them, though the reissue has pole pieces, which were only used on some DeArmonds. The Bigsby is a plus, I'd say.

edwardsand wrote:

I expect the pickups would have some bass, but you'd have to try it in person to really judge. The best part of those old Silvertones was the DeArmond pickups, and they claim to have duplicated them, though the reissue has pole pieces, which were only used on some DeArmonds. The Bigsby is a plus, I'd say.

I think those are the same pups they use on some Gretsch electromatics which are puny, which was part of the reason for me asking. Personally I suspect the bit about copying the originals is marketing BS - these are standard issue across a few cheapo brands.

Sadly it's not possible to try one without buying one right now, so screw it, I just bought a shop soiled Bassman 500 instead. I'm going to try it with guitar.

I just bought the 1478,not bad,and have also an Electromatic 5410 Gretsch,very different sounding pu,I think the Silvertone is more surf oriented,little hard playing with knobs.only 21 frets

I used to be a bit of a gear snob, but over time a divorce, health issues and arthritis have all convinced me modify my choices.
There was a time when, if playing surf, I had to have a blackface Fender piggyback, Fender Reverb, Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar and sometimes a Mosrite Ventures model. By comparison, my current surf setup is: a Quilter 101 (non reverb) amp mated with a Quilter Blockdock 12 and a Surfybear Compact Reverb and of all things a Silvertone 1478 re-issue guitar (built by Samick)all these are all light in weight and give me a tone I like. I did keep one 1964 Fender (AA864) Bassman but it never leaves the house...

give me 3-fingers of 1st Wave SURF

Page 1 of 1