Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink THE SURF GUITAR BOOK Vol. 2 - topic suggestions, wishes and other stuff

Page 1 of 1

Hello surf people,
due to the absence of gigs and all the work and travelling that comes along with them, I have a lot of time on my hands and decided to start work on

THE SURF GUITAR BOOK Vol. 2
with the plan to finish it by the end of the year..

Are there any topics / questions you would like to have covered?

The book will include more transcriptions of modern surf songs and playalongs of course, but there would be room for some background / harmony/ theory stuff.

Would be great to get some feedback!

In case you haven't ordered Vol. 1, you can do it here:

https://www.thesurfguitarbook.com/

Thanks for the support!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021 07:17:02

I can't think of a suggestion. Just more of the same I guess. Really look forward to it!

Ok, will do more songs definitely!

Hi,

Loved the first book - here are a couple of suggestions from the top of my head:

More on effects and different effects settings?

Playing with other instrumentalists - such as arranging, especially with two guitarists, or the use of down tunings like The Centurions did for their sax player, which gave them their dark and cool sound.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 09:19:41

Topics that I'm intersted in learning more about that I can't find many resources: double picked double stops and cross picking in a surf context. I'm having trouble expressing what I mean, but I hear this technique a lot in bluegrass where it's eigth note triplets picked down-up-up or up-down-down, etc depending which strings are being targeted. I hear this pop up in surf songs a lot like K-39 or Dimaond Head, I can include more examples if you need.

Maybe a basic chord chart and some cool other ways to play some of the chords. Example like the different Ds on the end of The Ventures version of Telestar. Actually a couple of the examples had chord tab included, I personally wish all the examples did.
Maybe expand on scales on single strings, and on string skipping and double stops.

Cool your making another book, I will buy it as soon as it's available! As you stated there isn't much of anything out there. Thanks for the first one!

ecv wrote:

Hi,

Loved the first book - here are a couple of suggestions from the top of my head:

More on effects and different effects settings?

Playing with other instrumentalists - such as arranging, especially with two guitarists, or the use of down tunings like The Centurions did for their sax player, which gave them their dark and cool sound.

Good ideas.

Page 1 of 1