Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Newby Surfybear Compact settings

Page 1 of 1

Hi, looks like I might be starting/getting in a surf band (even though I haven't listened to to much surf music in the last 40 years, I'm an old dude!)Anyway from watching Youtubes and reading on the forum I came to the conclusion my reverb in my amp doesn't get drippy (still not 100% sure what that means) so I picked up a Surfybear Compact. Well to my untrained non surfer ears its pretty over the top, so I keep adjusting it down (more like my amp reverb)which I'm sure is wrong if I'm going to be in a surf band. So I need to retrain my brain on what sounds good. Obviously we are going to just start with the classics (Mr Moto, Penetration, Pipeline, Surf Rider ect ect ect) Anybody have some good starter setting for a Surfybear Compact until I get me ears trained! Thanks ed

Play to a drum track, you might be surprised how much gets tamed with a bit of rhythmic context. I don't have a Surfybear myself, so I can't recommend any settings for it, but every single band has their own sound, and quite often reverb levels can change from song to song.

At the end of the day, you're the one playing the songs and it has to sound good both to you and to the rest of the band. Takeshi Terauchi barely used any reverb and his recordings still have a surf attitude in them. (You will want it cranked for Pipeline, though!)

No Springs, the premiere lo-fi bedroom one-man surf band!

Been using SFC almost for a year and i love it. I can tell you, i can go to classic to modern just in a sec with a knob turn. Give your ears a listen to old and new surf music, then try to replicate on the surfy bear compact until you get the sound you like and its done!

My latest LP Unknown Creatures by Otitis Media Records is available now on all digital platforms and colored vinyl. Listen and buy here: https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/sysmalakian/unknown-creatures
Lessons, tabs and tutorials send an email to sysmalakian@gmail.com

I agree that experimentation is the only way to find what works for you, and there're many sounds to go for, not just one drippy surf sound. I'll say that a traditional place to start is D6 M6 T6. Other settings that i like on my home-made SB are D7.5 M4 T7, and of course D10 M10 T10. All those settings I just mentioned are pretty heavy on the reverb, but your own settings will depend on the gear and other settings in your signal chain, how you play, and what you're going for. I hope that helps.

Like nosprings said, there's a lot of variation, and levels change from song to song. The key is to experiment. There are many threads in this forum all about how to achieve the coveted "Drip". One of the drippiest bands is the Astronauts, do check them out if you haven't already, specifically their instrumental tunes, like "Baja" and Movin'".

Have fun.

Thanks for the help and the recommendations. I have an other guitarist/keyboardest coming over today for the first time. Will see if I can pull this off and sound OK!

Page 1 of 1