Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink RIP Will Blount HB Pier Sound Engineer

Page 1 of 1

Hey There,

I'm sorry to have to bring you guys this awful news, but I just found out that we lost sound engineer Will Blount to COVID.

Anyone that attended a Huntington Beach Pier show since 2007 or so would have seen him doing his thing from underneath the pop up tent opposite the stage.

He was truly a larger than life character in so many ways. He was almost superhuman in his strength, stamina and ability to haul heavy gear and NEVER without some kind of bad joke to make light of just about anything life threw his way. His positive, enthusiastic personality was infectious and he could discuss guitar players and gear like nobody's business.

I learned a great deal from him and will never forget the crazy gig memories we shared.

RIP brother...I know he's ridin' the faders for the greatest all-star band heaven has ever seen.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

Very sad news. Will Blount is an unsung hero, a sound engineer doesn't just adjust the levels, they translate between the musicians and audience. He will be missed.

So sad! Many of us owe Will a huge debt of gratitude, for making our lives better, through his audio wizardry. Thank you! Rock In Peace, Will.

Bob

Very Sad.
I have to process this before I know what to say.
Rest In Peace Will

Jeff(bigtikidude)

My condolences to his friends and family. I stood under his tent many times to get out of the sun, hiding in the corner to stay out of his way. Now I wish I had struck up a conversation with him, sounds like a great guy.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

That's so sad. RIP Will and Godspeed.

Sound of the Surf, the movie
Facebook SOTS

In addition to being a great sound engineer, Will Blount he was a friend.

In ALL the years I was recording bands and selling their merchandise, I NEVER heard anyone, musicians or audience, complain about his mix.

He was gracious as well as friendly.

At every show I attended he always took a moment or two, after he set up or between bands, to talk with me.

When I first introduced myself and asked permission to place my audio recording gear on the stage he readily agreed. I all the years of putting my microphones and cables on stage, I never once caused him to regret his decision.

In return, I helped him remove his gear from the stage when he was there without a helper.

I will miss him and hope that everyone knows that he was one of the good guys.

Nice remembrances Steve.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

RIP Will. So sorry to hear about his passing. He will definitely be missed.

Will was very dedicated, really focused, and worked very hard to provide a great mix.

He was a very nice guy who calmly dealt with the many demands of working his craft in a public space.

Jeff always made a point during the concert announcements to publicly thank Will, and recognize his years of helping with Surfin' Sundays.

In many years of attending Surfin' Sundays concerts, I only saw him very upset once. After the show had ended, he was breaking down his gear, and had his speakers on the Pier Plaza lawn. Someone walked by, and let his dog pee all over the front of one of Will's speakers. Will was not pleased!

Last edited: Jan 08, 2021 18:14:55

R.I.P. to another member of the surf community. My sympathies to the family and friends.

He's up there with Baja Marty as the 2 staples of the pier shows are now gone. Both of them were helpful and friendly and good at what they do. Will was always happy to accommodate any request, however small, and over the years he just knew what to do. It’s astonishingly hard to find a seamless sound engineer at a gig, but Will was every bit of that and more. RIP

Craig Skelly

Little Kahuna
www.littlekahunamusic.com
The Breakaways
The Curl Riders

Still trying to cope with this. I’m remembering now that Will would ask me in the morning about the bands playing. How many pieces, and if there was any special sound needs. Also he would tell me if I ever needed him to bring anything up or down in the mix to not hestitate to ask. A very rare thing in sound guys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Last edited: Aug 06, 2021 00:00:08

Very sad to hear this. His ability was apparent as the pier shows always sounded fantastic.

Page 1 of 1