Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
113 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink orange sherbet/vanilla twist. parts jaguar a-comin'!

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next

did an inventory of my workshop, have everything to assemble a jag except a neck. the only weak point is the squier pickups, but that's ok for now.

Have: Capri Orange player jaguar body in the mail (will need bodywork for real jaguar); AVRI vibrato; AVRI chrome plates; AVRI pickguard; 1960s Jaguar mute assy; Squier jag pickups;9.5 radius mustang bridge or AVRI jm bridge; 1m 500k and 250k value CTS pots for testing; black witch hat knobs; switchcraft switches; and rhythm circuit controls from a jazzmaster.

edit jan 7: so so close. broke a screw installing the mute so more woodwork needed.. need to rout the rhythm section and mount the pickups, shield it all.

edit jan 23: need to fabricate pickup mounts and glue them in, shield the cavities, find my old roller pots. and... done! this has been a blast.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021 18:50:30

I like the orange - are you going to keep it that color? And what neck are you planning to get?

edwardsand wrote:

I like the orange - are you going to keep it that color? And what neck are you planning to get?

the orange has grown on me. it'll look good with parchment, it matches some japanese decorations in my home and contrasts with all my light blue guitars.

Neck wise, maybe a MIM lacquer neck to stay cheap. wanted to spend as little on this as possible. my lacquer JM feels decent.

Considering a musikraft if I can find someone to decal and finish it for me while I'm on lockdown.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020 12:40:09

My Sherbets

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

David says "cool!"

mj
bent playing for benter results
Do not attempt to adjust your TV set.
https://www.facebook.com/Bass-VI-Explorers-Club-179437279151035/
https://www.facebook.com/Lost-Planet-Shamen-366987463657230/

Cool

Sounds like a fun project. When you are shopping for a neck be sure to match your fretboard radius with whichever bridge you end up using.

Ben wrote:

Sounds like a fun project. When you are shopping for a neck be sure to match your fretboard radius with whichever bridge you end up using.

Will do. I have a 9.5" mustang or the adjustable standard jag bridge for everything else. The hardest part will be finding an affordable non-pau ferro board. Pau ferro is going to look way too orange/pink on that orange body.

stratdancer wrote:

My Sherbets

would love to find a dark rosewood neck like that strat. great looking instruments!

Thanks Cos! The orange strat started as a white 1990 I-Series strat. I find white strats to be my least favorite color so I sanded and painted it last summer. There aren't a lot of orange guitars so I said what the heck. I have 8 starts. It just had new Fender medium jumbo frets installed.

The Kahuna Kings

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Kahuna-Kings/459752090818447

https://thekahunakings.bandcamp.com/releases

Musikraft is bogged down with a 3 month wait on a neck. I might buy a used mexican neck for now and order a musikraft. THEN either build yet another guitar or sell the MIM neck.

the body is here Monday. I'll mock up all the parts sans neck and post it.

My first used Strat in '73 was orange, must have been a custom color because I've never been able to find when they made them in that color.

Oooooh, Acoustic 150! I had one of those in the early 70's. Amazing amp. "Lifetime Guaranteed," I still have my warranty cards for that and our Acoustic PA. Absolutely zero value now, right?

Those A-150's had one annoying issue. The 6-10 cabinets were top heavy with a narrow footprint. Mine fell over face first a number of times. Rugged though, mine never quit. The PA chucked a couple of speakers over time and I still have at least one dead one in the basement.

ed

Traditional........speak softly and play through a big blonde amp. Did I mention that I still like big blonde amps?

Found everything except my AVRI vibrato and roller bracket. Body is stuck in the mail until next Friday. should have it assembled Friday Night with a temporary neck.

Started wiring the controls, cheap leftover sprague cap and a test 56k resistor. switches need to be unsoldered and wired properly (they were from my bass VI).

Last edited: Jan 02, 2021 22:46:23

eddiekatcher wrote:

Oooooh, Acoustic 150! I had one of those in the early 70's. Amazing amp. "Lifetime Guaranteed," I still have my warranty cards for that and our Acoustic PA. Absolutely zero value now, right?

Those A-150's had one annoying issue. The 6-10 cabinets were top heavy with a narrow footprint. Mine fell over face first a number of times. Rugged though, mine never quit. The PA chucked a couple of speakers over time and I still have at least one dead one in the basement.

ed

I love acoustic amps. used one for bass for a while early 00s when they were dirt cheap and forgotten. one of my favorite solid state brands.

It's gonna be an awesome guitar, indeed! In my opinion Jaguars are the best. Dig'n the orange.

I too am working on a Jaguar build, working on the wiring and waiting for the neck to arrive.

SandBug wrote:

It's gonna be an awesome guitar, indeed! In my opinion Jaguars are the best. Dig'n the orange.

I too am working on a Jaguar build, working on the wiring and waiting for the neck to arrive.

I had a surf green squier jaguar when they came out. The AVRI plates and vibrato were on it before I sold it. My partner has been learning surf guitar songs, and she needs the short scale. Her mustang is hard-tail so I'm throwing this together for her.

can't wait to see yours. The wronski coke bottle green finish is one of my absolute favorites! What neck are you using? I can't decide on what neck I want. The capri orange body was ludicrously cheap, had to jump on it. I have a feeling I'll swap to a different custom painted body if I end up with a great neck.

Last edited: Jan 03, 2021 02:17:19

I'm sure she'll love it! Excellent call. I'm a big fan of Mustangs, but i feel like there's something magical about Jaguars, it's just got all the right stuff.

The neck I'm getting is a Fender '65 reissue Jaguar neck from Stratosphereparts. 7.25 radius w/ binding. It's more pricey than what i usually go for since I love to make less expensive guitars the best they can be. This time though, the Jaguar gods have dictated otherwise.

That Acoustic 150 was not mine, it just looks like I'm using it. Notice the speaker cab is a Rickenbacker Transonic.

eddiekatcher wrote:

ed

I love the title of this thread, Orange Sherbet/Vanilla Twist, makes me want a Jaguar in that color with a matching headstock. You know it's a good color if you want to take a bite out of the guitar.

SandBug wrote:

I'm sure she'll love it! Excellent call. I'm a big fan of Mustangs, but i feel like there's something magical about Jaguars, it's just got all the right stuff.

The neck I'm getting is a Fender '65 reissue Jaguar neck from Stratosphereparts. 7.25 radius w/ binding. It's more pricey than what i usually go for since I love to make less expensive guitars the best they can be. This time though, the Jaguar gods have dictated otherwise.

that's exactly the neck I was looking at. it'd be more than the rest of the parts combined, but... my only fear is the inevitable fretwork, nut work, etc. Don't have tools or experience to do it myself, and luthiers are (rightfully) expensive.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 Next