Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink This shouldn't work but it does

Page 1 of 1

I recently picked this up. It's made in the Fender Nashville custom shop in 2000 and there's not many about. Seller's photo. That's not my carpet

I bought it mainly out of curiosity because I like Guilds and I'd never seen one, but it's actually great. The specs are all wrong - set neck, chambered mahogany body, 24 3/4" scale - but actually it sounds glassy as hell. Lots of high end sparkle, and with a bit of dirt it was a dead ringer for Jim Thomas. It's also super playable and obviously a really well setup and finished custom shop instrument. No, it wasn't very expensive.

These aren't "proper" DeArmonds - they're '90s reissues and lower power and magnetism. The pups clock in at 8.6kΩ each, putting them more in line with a Strat pup.

I have got a set of NOS DeArmonds I could consider dropping in but it will take a bit of fiddling to get them to fit. Meantime, I'm very happy with how it sounds. Lots of nice pop to the notes.

Now what it really needs is a vibrato. Considering one of the Duesenberg Bigsby-B5-alikes, but could even go for a Jazzmaster unit.

After molesting it with a vibrato I'll probably look at a refinish to black.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020 05:01:30

I think I might do one of these, bin the tune-o-matic that's on it and drop it further back where the current stop tailpiece is

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:00:26

here's another cheaper option, the Duesenberg short vibrola

Cool guitar. Are those DeArmonds the ones with or without the adustable pole pieces?

edwardsand wrote:

Cool guitar. Are those DeArmonds the ones with or without the adustable pole pieces?

With adjustable pole pieces, but shorter magnets and shorter coil (vertically) than the originals, so lower output. They still sound crystal clear especially in the bass, but less midrange.

Tqi wrote:

Shame it doesn't have a standard Tune O Matic tailpiece. Sad

Guilds have this tailpiece. Why do I want a different one? This looks cooler than a standard Gibson stop bar IMO.

Shame it doesn't have a vibrato.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 15:00:39

Tqi wrote:

abdul_tom wrote:

Tqi wrote:

Shame it doesn't have a standard Tune O Matic tailpiece. Sad

Guilds have this tailpiece. Why do I want a different one? This looks cooler than a standard Gibson stop bar IMO.

Shame it doesn't have a vibrato.

Because if it had a standard tailpiece, you could have done a drop in for something like a Les Trem with no modifications to the guitar.

Got you.

Yes, it may be that I'll have to look at a refin in the end anyway. However, I'm thinking that if I disassemble the Stetsbar somewhat and mount it further back, it will cover the holes. This image shows how it's put together. It's supposed to work by sliding the bridge forward and back thus avoiding friction but i can live with the friction if it works ok. It's ugly as it is but maybe I can strip it down a bit. I quite the idea of a trem that goes a bit further than 1 whole tone.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020 09:45:05

Here's another option, the Goldo DG (who also make the Duesenberg trems, Les Trem etc.). Vaguely similar to a JM/Jag unit. Requires just a wide hole drilled for the spring so less effort than installing a JM trem. Might be shit, of course.

Here's a video of it in a JM mount. It's a available with a few different style brackets. I've asked the uploader what he thinks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020 10:02:39

I ike the "plasticky" sky blue finish.

I'll have to check to be certain when I get home, but that Goldo unit looks exactly like one I got on an Eastwood guitar. I thought it was terrible, could barely get a shimmer out of it.

FritzCat wrote:

I'll have to check to be certain when I get home, but that Goldo unit looks exactly like one I got on an Eastwood guitar. I thought it was terrible, could barely get a shimmer out of it.

which Goldo unit? the last one that's on the Jazzmaster, or the one that looks like a Bigsby?

The jazzmaster looking one. It's exactly the same except mounted on a trapeze tailpiece instead of a plate. I'll try to post a pic tonight.

abdul_tom wrote:

here's another cheaper option, the Duesenberg short vibrola

The Dusenberg units are great vibratos. I had the same tailpiece on my DeArmond Jetstar. I was able to replace it with a Bigsby B5, which covered the original holes. I put a long Dusenberg arm on it, a Reverend soft touch spring, and a extra spacer under the spring. It feels very similar to a Jag/Jazzmaster vibrato.

TarantinosNYC
TarantinosNYC FB page
The WrayCyclers FB page
Rockaway Beach Surf Music Festival

Page 1 of 1