Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink Surf Guitar Hero - Or, make a chart for your band!

Page 1 of 1

Maybe you remember Guitar Hero, pressing one of 5 buttons at the right time to usually overdone classic rock songs and getting booed off the virtual stage. Maybe you still even have one of the plastic controllers somewhere deep in storage. But did you know there's an active community making custom charts for a free PC clone of Guitar Hero/Rockband style games?

The surf options are abysmal. In terms of official songs, there's Miserlou and a bonus track of a local Boston Band called Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives. Two surfy instrumentals in thousands of songs.

User created surf charts are equally lacking, with only 2 charts under the "surf rock" genre of the Clone Hero database.

Though it's a bit outdated and mostly forgotten in the public eye, a Guitar/Clone Hero chart is a really cool and interactive way for an audience to interact with your music, and as a performer it's interesting to see how your playing can be interpreted visually and rhythmically.

For my recent Halloween-tinged single, I made a simple chart. It was less than an hour of work (being a repetitive song) and it's been a fun and unique take on sharing a song. I found that people online have been pretty responsive to the format.

So here's my call to this forum: make a chart for your band's songs! Or even fill in the gaps of the classics. I'm so tired of sifting through heavy metal sweep-picking.

No Springs, the premiere lo-fi bedroom one-man surf band!

What a weird mockery of the art of music creation that game is.

If some little shit wants to interact with my music, he can pick up a REAL guitar and learn it the same way I did. Back in my day we had to learn music by ear and we liked it. WE LOVED IT.

Let people like things?

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Brian wrote:

Let people like things?

Exactly.
Someone needs a Snickers.

_

Hi, I'm Gellert, guitarist for The Fintastics.

https://www.facebook.com/TheFintastics

Promo knows no bounds. I like it. Will give it a try in an upcoming track.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Redfeather wrote:

What a weird mockery of the art of music creation that game is.

If some little shit wants to interact with my music, he can pick up a REAL guitar and learn it the same way I did. Back in my day we had to learn music by ear and we liked it. WE LOVED IT.

Eh, all this happens way after the music-making process anyway. I don't think anybody who's playing Guitar Hero is fooled into thinking they're creating anything, or that it's remotely similar to playing an actual guitar. For me it has a big nostalgia factor, and there used to be a social aspect to playing the game with friends that you don't get by learning and practicing a song on your own.

I'd be stoked if somebody liked my songs enough to learn them! Hell, I'd send them tabs even if they wanted.

martinblasick wrote:

Promo knows no bounds. I like it. Will give it a try in an upcoming track.

Anything to combat the plague that is partial track listens (10-80% of the whole song, according to Bandcamp).

Plus I'd love to have more surf songs to play and discover! Maybe someday we can get a SG101 song pack to put out.

No Springs, the premiere lo-fi bedroom one-man surf band!

UPHILL.

BOTH WAYS.

LIKED IT.

I find the whole phenomenon puzzling. No criticism intended, but I’ve always found it amusing that kids would be more impressed by someone scoring well at Guitar Hero than someone playing the song on a real guitar. There was a hilarious South Park episode about that.

The artist formerly known as: Synchro

When Surf Guitar is outlawed only outlaws will play Surf Guitar.

Page 1 of 1