Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
323 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
251 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
251 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
171 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
149 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
111 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
72 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
5 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
5 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Help With Amp Selection

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Hey everyone! I'm getting back into music at 41 after 10 years off. I was in bands when I was younger and LOVE surf music. I have more time to play now and want to refocus strictly on surf. The question:

I was looking at a new fender reissue twin reverb, but then I thought about grabbing a '63 reissue tank. If I grab the tank what would be a good amp to run. I don't want to go hunting too much for something right now. New works fine. I will mostly be playing in my house and eventually back at small venues or with some buddies in the neighborhood court. I felt the twin could handle whatever. Will it break up at low "house level" volume? Any other suggestions on something if I'm running a tank instead? Or I could run both...ha ha. Anyway... I am playing a new Jazzmaster vintera 60s. I have an old Jag.. but I like this Jazzmaster a lot. I'm thinking I could get by with a smaller amp... any suggestions?

What say you? Mahalo everyone!

Twins are heavy...you sure you need that kind of power? Perhaps for outdoor shows.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

Yea... I definitely think its overkill, but I'm not sure what a great versatile option would be... What are some nice setups that won't blow my house apart but still pack a good punch? The new reissue is about 1500 ... I would love to find a solid setup for that. Maybe an outboard and amp... please lay your suggestions on me... Many thanks!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:50:28

Thanks for the response! Exactly the conversation I was hoping to start! I really appreciate the help. Taste wise I am a massive Messer Chups fan. I also like surfajettes. I love the classic ventures tunes as well. Definitely a fan of rockabilly as well as straight surf. I’m just looking for a great vintage sound in a versatile package. I live on an acre and have a garage. My neighbors aren’t far though. I will be practicing in the garage and in my den which is next to the garage. I would like something with the versatility to handle a small outside jam or small old-town bar type environment. After I knock the cobwebs off and focus in on the surf style I’ll probably start playing with some buddies. Definitely want a cool vintage sound. Song wise... for me it’s magneto from messer Chups and Fugitive by the ventures. Love that sound. I also like the mellower sound of Banzai Pipeline, Surfajettes version. What is the go to setup? Thanks everyone very much. I really appreciate the knowledge here and recommendations.

Mahalo!

One question is to what extent you want a totally clean sound vs. some break-up via the amp. The Fender reissues are known for their clean headroom, but the Twin Reverb is heavy and less suited for low volume playing. Maybe the Deluxe Reverb would be suitable.

A second question is whether you are intent on tube amps or amenable to solid state amps. If you're open to solid state, lots of people like Quilter amps, and there are also the Fender Tonemaster amps that are digital versions of the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb. The Tonemasters are lightweight and can sound good at low volume (they've got variable wattage output options).

I think I am wanting to stay in tube territory. I did see a deluxe reverb reissue that was nice. Maybe that is a better option. Slightly cheaper. Just wondering about what I could pair with a ri tank to give my a nice sound and still be reasonably portable and versatile. Getting a deluxe reverb and a tank is pushing me into 2k territory... but you gotta do what you gotta do. I could always try and pickup the tank later and just max out the reverb on the deluxe reissue. Any other suggestions. Lay them on me!

Mahalo!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:50:14

Thanks! Any other suggestions? Chupacabre twist is another chups tune that I love the sound of. Party line... surfajettes also. Yea... I think a tank is key. Just need to zero in on an amp. Keep the suggestions rolling. Thanks everyone! Very grateful for the advice. Can’t wait to hear that surf drip!

For me, a 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb with an RI 63 Fender Reverb unit (using a Korean Accutronics pan) is a great sounding and versatile setup for club and small outdoor shows like block parties.

Lorne
The Surf Shakers: https://www.facebook.com/TheSurfShakers
Vancouver BC Canada

There is a ri tank “mint” somewhat close to me on reverb for a grand. That would leave me a few hundred for an amp. Looking back at the songs I’m picking I don’t know if super clean is the best idea. But maybe it is. I’m ready to make a move. Just gotta find that combo that gets me excited. These seem like great suggestions! Definitely open to ideas!

There are some used excelsior amps (13w) on guitar center in the 300 range. Maybe pairing those as mentioned above would work. Basically a 1300 setup. Any other suggestions. I’m loving this! Mahalo everyone.

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:56:03

Don't buy a new amp. And don't buy a Deluxe Reverb! For the same money you could get one of the 90's Vibroverb or Custom Vibrolux reissues, which are brownface circuits (they're pretty much the same amp) and closer to the gear lots of bands were using back then. These amps are 40 watts and they do break up at high volume but if you ran them through a speaker cabinet with high efficiency speakers you'd have no problems. They also have a nice bias vary tremolo and great onboard reverb. In fact it was Fender's very first amp with reverb back then.

But I'll second the opinion that amp choice is largely irrelevant in the creation of surf music. I mean I love GEAR but when it comes to making songs, "just whatever" is plenty good if you're playing something cool.

I actually had a Frontman 212R and with a 6G15 running into it, you could record and entire album and no one would think twice about it. It's really all about the reverb! Here's a sample:

That’s awesome!

ok. I’m going to get the reverb tank. Check.

so I just need a nice vintageeee amp. Something cool, portable, but that does have at least a little room to jam around as described above when I kick around outside. Great suggestions so far! I’m looking around online for some of the suggestions. Keep them coming. I definitely want to pull the trigger on a setup by the end of the weekend. Mahalo!

I would not pay 1k for a used RI tank. You can even get a Gomez tank for less than that. I bought my tank for $500, and had a custom blonde and oxblood cab made for it.

Also, have you thought about a vintage Bandmaster? I have a '65 Bandmaster, 1x12 cab, and a RI tank, all in matching blonde and oxblood (you can see a photo on Twitter @TheDriptones).

This is just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Redfeather, that sounds amazing my friend!

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

I love a real tube driven spring tank, but if it was up tp me I would buy a new Surfy Bear for less than half the price of the used Fender tank reissue. My reasons as follows:
Keep in mind that the Fender '63 Tank Reissues since being discontinued have really jumped up in price. You will actually be paying a good chunk of change more than they were new. Also keep in mind while the '63 Reissues are good, they are pc board construction and might need a bit of modding to get them to sound more like the originals. Surfy Bears sound amazing and really nail the vintage Fender tank sound in a maintenance free, super reliable and more compact package for half the price of a used reissue Fender tank. Save some money so you can have more budget flexibility for your amp. Obviously great drippy reverb is the key, but don't underestimate the value of a good amp. That's what I would do. In reality, you probably can't go wrong either way. Big Grin

All awesome advice. I’m just having trouble tracking down a RI for a good bargain. I was going to offer 780 for the one asking 1000. See if I can deal. Not I’m even more confused than ever. If anyone sees a sweet setup 1500ish or under I’d love to know about it. So I guess I could go RI Deluxe and surfy bear? I dunno. HELP ME! Hahaha. I was thinking if I could get the tank for 8 or so and try the pawn shop amp maybe until I see a steal on something. I dunno.

I’d DEFINITELY be down for a bandmaster and cabinet if I could find one in good shape at a good price. Then I could surfy bear until a outboard came along maybe. Kinda want that outboard Yes

what about something like this
and a surfybear

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next