Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
326 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
152 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
114 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
8 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
8 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink -

Goto Page: 1 2 Next

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:45:05

If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters. There's no one perfect surf tone. As long as the tone doesn't bother you, concentrate on your playing skills and learning songs. Too many people get stuck worrying about gear.

That being said, flatwounds don't work on every guitar. I hated them on my strat, but love them on my jazzmaster.

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Looks nice! How does it sound?

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

Just needs Spitfire tort! And some sort of Soviet-era capacitor that hasn't been made in 53 years.

Oops, sorry...wrong forum. Big Grin

Does Phil Hendrie post here?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020 15:36:43

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:44:13

I’m going to take that question as rhetorical! I don’t think one needs any of those things to be surf, unless you want to be hipster surf like me ha ha! But seriously, a question like that says a lot more about the person who answers them the asker. Kind of a trick question. Thicker strings help a clean tone in my opinion.

One thing I will say at the risk of sounding elitist, is a non-re-issue 6G15, or a boutique one, does have the most surfy reverb. Surfy Bears are 95% there, but to my ears they lack a little bit of that bass distortion that we love so much. But I bought two as back ups and I totally support the company. Every other reverb offering to me, is not very surfy.

Dan

Daniel Deathtide

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:52:40

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:52:31

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:52:24

Tqi wrote:

DannySnyder wrote:

If it sounds good to you then that's all that matters. There's no one perfect surf tone. As long as the tone doesn't bother you, concentrate on your playing skills and learning songs.

You know; I was sure people would get it when I traded the Jazz III's for a subway card and a Macadamia cookie, but Poe's Law's a real ass. Very Happy

Embarassed So much for multitasking Face Palm

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

Tqi wrote:

Pretty much exactly how it looks!

Post a video!

Premiere Single Out Now! - Keep On Running
Psychic Chime - Instagram
Psychic Chime - Twitter
Professional Website (film-scoring)

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:52:09

I actually bought one of those daisy rocks when I needed some humbuckers for a metal band. I ended up swapping the bridge and pickups but it did what I needed. gave it to an ex who wanted to learn how to play.

Tqi wrote:

DeathTide wrote:

Thicker strings help a clean tone in my opinion.

Agreed, but in practice I've not found it that significant. The P90 on my (13 flats) Jazzmaster though a bass amp is as clean as the humbucker and 10 flats on this thing - and not moreso. They both sound like a choir. ;)

One thing I will say at the risk of sounding elitist, is a non-re-issue 6G15, or a boutique one, does have the most surfy reverb.

Yes you do sound elitist. You're also entirely correct; but it's only worth the factor of five increase in cost over even a SB Classic - if you're also using a strat or a Jazzmaster with 50's voiced pickups through an original or boutique Showman 6G14(A) through a pair of professionally reconed D130F's in an original 2x15.

I am guilty of all except the pickups are ‘65 not 50s. (I’m curious what you mean by that, I might have to try that ha ha!)

I’m not using that or anything close to it - and by design (I want the head, but only as a bass amp through modern bass cabs - I like the hint of Vox in my guitar sound), so the difference in a Surfy vs a Reissue vs a Boutique really means jack for my setup. Smile

I am very happy that you have created a rig that makes you happy! It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it and I know I would love it. I am very understanding of your reasons for not posting a video. Even when I could play I could never produce anything in one take worthy of posting. Still though, maybe pipeline or something simple? Since you’ve talked about the set up so much, I really want to hear it!
I am a little curious about your original question though, since you clearly have the answers! I no like beef, jes making one observation braddah!
Dan

Daniel Deathtide

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020 14:35:49

That's fully legit. I have a humbucker guitar with a Les Trem myself and I don't feel one bit bad about playing surf on it!

The Les Trem is an awesome unit and I consider every bit the equal of a Jazzmaster vibrato. My only wish is that it looked a bit more Fendery and less like a component off an actual Duesenberg.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020 14:56:14

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:52:02

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:51:49

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:51:44

I guess the Duesy is only a cream-tipped arm swap away from Fender territory, really. Hmmm.. I wonder if it would work for a Bass VI type build...

My guitar is a Vantage VP-790 and it's really well made. Definitely one of my better scores. It has a coil split and a phase switch so I can argue that it's a surf guitar in one mode, at least!

-

Last edited: Feb 02, 2024 14:51:26

Goto Page: 1 2 Next