Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
362 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
343 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
300 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
228 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
228 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
148 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
126 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
94 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
88 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
49 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Can I get a fresh set of eyes on this Squier Mustang wiring diagram? I'm losing my mind!!

Page 1 of 1

So this guitar has TWO 3-position mustang slide switches, TWO humbuckers, ONE volume, and ONE tone. No pickup selector switch. I want each 3-position slide switch to control their own pickup in an OFF-SPLIT-HUMBUCKER configuration.

This is the first guitar I've wired and I want to do it right the first time!!

Here is the diagram I've come up with. Please let me know if you see any errors here. Like literally any mistake or anything missing. Thank you!!

This looks good to me, except that when both single coils are on, you won't get noise cancelling.

If it were me, I'd have a black coil on one PU and a white coil on the other be the coils active at the single switch position. It may just be a matter of swapping black with green on one of the switches.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

ldk wrote:

This looks good to me, except that when both single coils are on, you won't get noise cancelling.

If it were me, I'd have a black coil on one PU and a white coil on the other be the coils active at the single switch position. It may just be a matter of swapping black with green on one of the switches.

I'm a complete beginner at this and for this far with the help of someone on another forum.I still don't even know which position in my diagram is off... THAT is how lost I am!!

So say I switch around the black and green on the bridge switch. I have the black on pins 4 and 8. Green is on pin 5. Would I put green on pin 4, black on 5, and then jump black to 8? Is that what you mean? Thanks!

Forget what I said about swapping black and green—that’s completely wrong!

If you can tell me which colors are the - and + for each coil of a PU, I could revise your diagram. It's too hard to explain otherwise.

However, the diagram as you presented it will work, so you might want to just go with that.

Last edited: Sep 03, 2020 15:51:16

ldk wrote:

Forget what I said about swapping black and green—that’s completely wrong!

If you can tell me which colors are the - and + for each coil of a PU, I could revise your diagram. It's too hard to explain otherwise.

However, the diagram as you presented it will work, so you might want to just go with that.

Hi! Thanks for the offer! I'll take it!! I do want noise cancelling. For these pickups, black is north start, white is north finish, red is south finish, and green is south start.

I did try to recreate the diagram to your specifications if you still wanted to take a look. Someone else told me the same exact thing so maybe you are correct?? I still jumped the black north start to pin #4 as I did on the neck pickup. Not sure if that's even correct.

Anyways, I REALLY appreciate it!! Electronics are truly my weak point. I'm learning as much as I can, but these damn switches have me BAFFLED!

Last edited: Sep 03, 2020 16:06:53

RavageTheEarth wrote:

... For these pickups, black is north start, white is north finish, red is south finish, and green is south start.

Are you sure about this? From your original diagram, green is the start of one coil and black is the end of the other. So, I think white is north start and red is south finish. Correct?

Also, which pickup is north, white or black? And when both pickups have single coils engaged, do you want these to be the single coils closer together or farther apart?

delete

Last edited: Sep 03, 2020 17:44:26

ldk wrote:

RavageTheEarth wrote:

... For these pickups, black is north start, white is north finish, red is south finish, and green is south start.

Are you sure about this? From your original diagram, green is the start of one coil and black is the end of the other. So, I think white is north start and red is south finish. Correct?

Also, which pickup is north, white or black? And when both pickups have single coils engaged, do you want these to be the single coils closer together or farther apart?

You are right. I was looking at a diagram that was wrong. I'll post the correct one below.

Actually looking again at the official diagram, I believe what I stated before is correct. Green is the south start. Black is the north start. White is the north finish.

In my original diagram I did mix up the white and red cable colors. If you look at my recently posted diagram those are the correct color order.

So for the bridge pickup I'd like the upper one (north, the one that is closer to the neck) to be active. So for the bottom coil in my diagram it would be the white one that is active.

Same for the neck pickup. That will also be the top white one (north) that is closest to the neck that is active.

IF that is possible. Otherwise, I'd be happy with the ones farther apart. (North for the neck, south for the bridge)

Thank you again!

Last edited: Sep 03, 2020 17:49:34

Looks like your first diagram is correct for what you are aiming for, that is, using the north coils for the active coil when they are split. As noted, you don't have noise cancelling in that configuration, but that may not be a big deal. The revised diagram doesn't look like it would work for the bridge pickup.

I sent you a PM--too many details to work out in the forum.

I'm not a humbucker guy and can't really help you with the wiring diagram but I have worked on a lot of guitars and amps. I will mention that even the best don't always "get it right the first time". Even Ray Butts (the inventor of the humbucker, though not the first to patent it) had to experiment a little until he got it right. Fortunately, unlike an amp, you won't damage anything if you wire a guitar incorrectly the first time. This is how Ray did it...Good luck!!!

Ben wrote:

I'm not a humbucker guy and can't really help you with the wiring diagram but I have worked on a lot of guitars and amps. I will mention that even the best don't always "get it right the first time". Even Ray Butts (the inventor of the humbucker, though not the first to patent it) had to experiment a little until he got it right. Fortunately, unlike an amp, you won't damage anything if you wire a guitar incorrectly the first time. This is how Ray did it...Good luck!!!

What a great post!! Thank you for the encouragement. I do enjoy learning and this little experiment will only put more knowledge in my head!

Well, I have to admit that I say this from experience. My first guitar electronics project was wiring up a Strat from scratch with new pickguard, pick ups, pots, a 5-way switch, and a push/pull pot on the tone knob to bring in all 3 pick ups at once. I thought I followed the wiring diagram exactly but of course it didn't work when I buttoned it all up. I probably had the whole assembly in and out 2 or 3 more times before I got it working right. And, like Thomas Edison said "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work".
Laughing

It certainly helps to have a test bed like that Gretsch so you can mock things up and try it all out before doing it all on the guitar it's finally meant for. Assembling and stringing it up and then troubleshooting and taking it all apart multiple times takes some of the fun out of it.

I've got a test bed guitar made from a 2x6 plank currently fitted with a squier jaguar neck, with exposed pickup wiring connectors and two sets of controls. It lets me test out pickup positions and how pickups sound with 250k pots, 500k pots, or wired straight to output, and let's me play around with two pickups at a time. Come to think of it, I could even easily play around with series vs. parallel wiring. The thing looks like crap, though, and is not meant for the viewing public.

Sorry to diverge from the original topic again but you guys are in good company. Sometimes you may need to tinker with it awhile. Les Paul with his 4x4 test block called The Log!!!

Page 1 of 1