Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
319 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
247 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
247 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
167 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
145 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
114 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
107 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
68 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
1 day ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
1 day ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink cosmonaut's DIY thread

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

DeathTide wrote:

Holy crap! I am seriously impressed that you can even list the steps! Man, I’d LOVE to have that knowledge and skill.

Thanks! I just spend too much time on forums. I actually can't think of an affordable way to pull off a 5 color graphic design with readable text otherwise. I've never made a faceplate before.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021 18:19:23

quick update. work blew up so no time for projects.
*Princeton head needs faceplate, rear plate, and a name badge.

*Reverb unit is getting a new grill, name badge, same fabric but over white painted wood to make it less peach, adding piping to match the princeton grill, and shooting lacquer over the top of it.

*champ (Betty) needs grill cloth and name badge

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021 15:39:00

workshopping a new design. little sneak peek at something a bit different.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021 00:51:33

4/18/21 Updated photos on page 1

Designing a good name badge is hard. Do I brand all these under a single name like everyone else? Do I do a custom badge for each amp? Who manufactures name plates and badges the way I'm envisioning? (metal badge with enamel paint colors, or silkscreen?, or go plastic?) Props to people who do this for a living!

Reverb unit: waiting on fabric for the new grill, needs badges.
Champ: needs fabric for grill, badges.
Princeton: finalizing faceplate design, needs badge.
Deluxe: Needs cabinet with custom fabric I'm having printed, plus a badge.
Super: circuit boards drilled. have all small parts, need transformers (no more classictone, dang it) cabinet, speakers, faceplates, badge. long way to go.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021 15:42:10

6g4 Super update: finally finished hammering the turrets on the board. I may have to start over and build with eyelets because of THESE monstrous caps:

the board may be too tall to fit in the chassis now.

I may play with alternative mounting, but that's a lot of routing signal back and forth.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021 17:41:03

Everything looks so groovy here. fantastic work!

cosmonaut wrote:

4/18/21 Updated photos on page 1

Designing a good name badge is hard. Do I brand all these under a single name like everyone else? Do I do a custom badge for each amp? Who manufactures name plates and badges the way I'm envisioning? (metal badge with enamel paint colors, or silkscreen?, or go plastic?) Props to people who do this for a living!

Reverb unit: waiting on fabric for the new grill, needs badges.
Champ: needs fabric for grill, badges.
Princeton: finalizing faceplate design, needs badge.
Deluxe: Needs cabinet with custom fabric I'm having printed, plus a badge.
Super: circuit boards drilled. have all small parts, need transformers (no more classictone, dang it) cabinet, speakers, faceplates, badge. long way to go.

As long as you don’t name them something creepy like a woman’s name.

Daniel Deathtide

DeathTide wrote:

As long as you don’t name them something creepy like a woman’s name.

Nah. not my style, I named one Betty after my grandmother. and one Owen after my grandfather, but both of those amps are for the house. I'd never sell them.

I'm not trying to brand for selling purposes, just playing with ideas for keeping the others somewhat cohesive.

Last edited: May 03, 2021 17:49:33

andare wrote:

Everything looks so groovy here. fantastic work!

thank you for the encouragement!

got some new jensens for the princeton to audition. liked the p10r in my vibro king fine, but may want something ceramic for a mini surf amp.

picked up some parts for a couple more amps: Deluxe Micro and Bassman Micro (rob robinette) with headphone jack for apartment dwellers, and eventually a hi-fi amp.

also, have never owned the rca receiving tube manual before in paper form.

Last edited: May 08, 2021 23:15:57

double post

Last edited: Mar 31, 2022 14:17:46

Piggybacking the princeton!

No formal instructions exist online, so I just used photos as a reference. angle is set at an arbitrary 35 degrees. Since the 2x10 is compact (used the 14” tilt back legs), the center of gravity is more toward the top of the cabinet. No issues tipping, however. Tolex is cut, will start gluing today!

These are awesome. Love the palm tree cloth on the reverb. I sense a mid-century vibe which is so cool. You could do tiki and ocean themed ones too. I saw a 50s/60s print somewhere of fish bones that looked really cool, might’ve been on a cocktail napkin or something. Keep em coming!

desert_surfer wrote:

These are awesome. Love the palm tree cloth on the reverb. I sense a mid-century vibe which is so cool. You could do tiki and ocean themed ones too. I saw a 50s/60s print somewhere of fish bones that looked really cool, might’ve been on a cocktail napkin or something. Keep em coming!

thanks for the kind words! working on all of the above to balance kitsch with classic lines (but also still good looking with traditional coverings). I actually have another grill I’m putting together for the reverb unit. My next reverb unit is going to be made from teak with a suitably themed lacquered printed fabric on the rear panels, and then working that into the grill. moving toward my own cabinet designs now, as well as designing and printing my own fabrics. long, long process.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021 15:11:06

I like teak, I’m sure it will turn out good. The mid century barkcloth stuff is cool, though you would probably need to print your own, as original bark cloth is insanely expensive and rare. Or sharkskin suit type fabric, or that old type with the little nubbly “sweater pills” on them. I know ultimately the sound is what counts, but the style of these is really inspiring. If they sound as good as they look, then you’re doing it right.

The idea of a small piggyback, like the Princeton you’re making, is also a great idea. Maybe even a tremolux style one, easier to carry than a huge showman/bandmaster type. Those tilt legs are smart because that solves half the reason people say some amps aren’t loud enough (they’re not pointing the amp at themselves but rather their feet).

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021 17:35:27

I am delightfully smitten with your aesthetics choices on everything you've done! Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your build progress!

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021 08:00:59

broke from fender tradition and did a 2-piece tolex application. I like the seamless look on top of the speaker cabinet. grill cloth
/piping is next.

Fady wrote:

I am delightfully smitten with your aesthetics choices on everything you've done! Keep up the great work and please keep sharing your build progress!

I am so grateful for your kind words. thank you! I owe so much of what I’ve learned about surf music and equipment to this forum. so glad I can contribute a little something to this great community.

convertible piggyback all buttoned up! needs a grill, and then we do badges and plates. these chassis were made wrong by mojo and other fabricators. Now that I have a grinder, the power cable can go to the correct spot: underside of the chassis. Power cable is a grey linen wrapped large gauge wire.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021 21:22:17

Man, those projects are beautiful and so cool, your builds are next level.

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 4 Next