Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Music Reviews »

Permalink Messer Chups: "Spook-o-Rama"

Page 1 of 1

I've been greatly enjoying the new Messer Chups best-of collection "Spook-o-Rama" (released by MuSick Recordings and Guitaracula Records). Messer Chups have risen to the very top of the international surf heap in the past 10 years, earning an enviable following - all due to VERY hard work, constant touring around the world and a TON of recording and releases! I've got some 3-4 of their CDs but I'm pretty sure they have even more than that. Well, for anybody that's been looking for a one-stop introduction to the band, this is it! Their unique mix of traditional surf, rockabilly, horror-surf, and occasional plain experimental weirdness (especially evident in their early days, I believe) is all on display here. 28 tracks on two STUNNING translucent blue LPs (26 on the single CD - both formats have exclusive tracks) demonstrate the wide variety of their music through the years, but it all still very much sounds like THEM!

Oleg has established himself as an absolute master of surf guitar- as well as surf guitar TONE! That immaculately-reverbed goodness is evident on every track here. Svetlana is of course the perfect bassist for this band, both in terms of her musicianship supporting the music in exactly the right way but also her image being such an important part of the whole. And every drummer they've had through the years has been simply incredible!

My favorites on this collection are primarily their trad-surf tunes, which I think are really among the very best of the entire surf revival. You just can't argue with the sheer excellence and perfection of "Hilu Tikula", "Aquanatic Business", "Padre Pizzicato", "Back to Bermuda Triangle", "Magneto" or "Agent Tremolo". Those are my favorites, but I'm sure every surf music fan will have their own favorites among all these great tracks. For anybody who has not yet checked out the mighty Messer Chups, now is the perfect time to do it - since there is now finally the perfect place to start!

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

They are awesome! I really enjoyed playing with them, Oleg is incredible live. The whole band is!

Page 1 of 1