Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
116 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Removing string guide from a Hallmark

Page 1 of 1

I have a Hallmark guitar with a crooked string guide. I need to remove it and put it back on. I assume it is glued. Any advise from those familiar with such things on removal and/or proper regluing?

Makai

I humbly suggest you direct your question to: http://hallmarkguitars.com/contact/contact.shtml

with a "please" and "thanks in advance" in your note.

Best wishes to you.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Last edited: Aug 08, 2020 15:05:45

Squid wrote:

I humbly suggest you direct your question to: http://hallmarkguitars.com/contact/contact.shtml

with a "please" and "thanks in advance" in your note.

Best wishes to you.

Done. I bought the guitar directly from Bob Shade. I told him about the crooked string guide (and included the pic below) immediately upon receiving the guitar. His response was, “Shim it”. First, it is impossible to shim something that is glued. Second, it would not solve the problem.

The issue with the guitar is the end of the fretboard where the string guide rests is cut crooked. The edges (the neck binding between the zero fret and string guide) are equidistant on each side, but the actual fretboard between them is angled from the low E to the B string. You can then see the gap under the high E. To fix this I have to remove the string guide and file the fretboard ‘hump’ between the binding edges and then reinstall the string guide. The hardest part is removing the string guide cleanly. Any suggestions from those familiar with Hallmarks, Mosrites and the like?

Makai

Last edited: Aug 09, 2020 14:47:47

Man, Bob Shade should've offered to take the guitar back to either repair it or give you a new guitar without that defect. I was considering buying one of his guitars down the line but now I probably won't if that's how he treats his paying customers. I imagine you paid a lot for that guitar.

Is the string guide crooked? And does the issue affect the playability or performance? It looks like the guide is straight, and as you said, the fretboard isn't cut straight toward the treble end, which is forming a gap. If that's the case then I would consider taping everything off except for the gap, then fill it with either a mixture of saw dust and superglue, or baking soda and super glue, then file and color match with a sharpie or wood stain.

If you need to remove the guide for whatever reason, as you were originally asking in your post, then I would with a razor blade score around the base of the guide where it meets the wood (to avoid chipping), then gently tap the guide with a piece of wood and hammer, like in the video i included that i found on youtube. Although I'm not sure what removing the guide would accomplish if it's already straight in relation to the strings and most of the fretboard. Judging from your photo i'd say the fretboard looks straight for the most part and is missing a wedge near the treble side.

If i were you i'd tell Bob that he should either take the guitar back and give you a refund, or pay the difference for a repair to fix the defect. It was obviously something that he sent out that way, not anything you did, i assume you paid full price for a new guitar, not a B-stock with a defect. I'd give him one more chance to make it right, if he gives you some bullshit response then shame on him, I'm glad that we all can see how he operates. Buyer beware. Thanks for the heads up.

HTH

Last edited: Aug 09, 2020 15:13:45

I zoomed your image and you can see the hump between the D and G strings. That is definitely not a straight cut from the low to high E edges. What a terrible job they did on that part of the guitar. I'm surprised it got out of the factory.

If I'd gotten this guitar, I'd also either ask for my money back or ask that Mr. Shade pay for a professional luthier to fix it.

Even if you could get the string guide off, I don't think you'll be happy with a repair with a file. You'll invariably take wood off the low and high E sides. Maybe a really sharp chisel, taking just a bit of wood off each time? I wonder what a real luthier would do.

However, to answer your question, it looks like that string guide is made of metal. You could gently apply heat in hopes of loosening the glue. I'd use a soldering iron with a thin piece of copper between the iron and guide.

Good luck.

If I'd stop buying old guitars to fix, I might actually learn to play.
Bringing instruments back to life since 2013.

Last edited: Aug 09, 2020 16:07:34

I also zoomed the image. You are literally missing a piece of fret board and binding. It almost looks like it was broken off. If you sent this same picture to Bob Shade he should have easily recognized this as a problem.
That guitar should never have been shipped with a serious defect like that...unless it was damaged during shipping?
No matter, it's not your fault and you should be getting support from Bob Shade at Hallmark. I would call Bob Shade directly and clarify what the issue is and make sure he gets another photo that is zoomed enough to clearly see the missing fretboard and binding. Maybe there is some misunderstanding here on Bob's part. I've dealt directly with Bob Shade and it seems really out of character for him to send out a guitar with that kind of defect...
I know you said you bought the guitar directly from Bob Shade but do you know whether or not it was a guitar he had in stock or something ordered from the factory (it shouldn't make a difference, I am just curious)?

I do not know how to multi-quote so hopefully this will address SandBug, lmk and Surfadelphia.

The string guide is definately crooked. It is easiest to notice if you just look at the gap distance between the zero fret and string guide on each edge of the fretboard. The gap is bigger in the high E side.

(This is easy to see but not necessarily to explain. I do not want to over complicate. Crude drawing below). There was no transit damage. It was miscut. The short version is the small cut from the high E to the B is straight (parallel to the zero fret). The cut from the low E to the B (in red) is a straight line but not parallel to the zero fret. Because the second cut was crooked the string guide cannot be seated properly (the line between the arrows is where the guide should be resting). I.E., it is not missing wood under the high E, it has too much wood from the low E to B.

I ordered not one but two guitars from Bob. Both were backordered. I prepaid for the pair and waited (I think) 3-4 months for them. I sent a set of strings for each guitar for Bob to do the initial setup. We spoke and e-mailed over this time period. He inspected (presumably since he set them up) each guitar personally. One guitar was perfect. The other had this issue plus one of the pickup rings had only two holes drilled (they are not just missing the screw, the body is not drilled, pic below).

Immediately upon receipt I sent Bob the same pic I posted above and explained the problem. His response was terse. He said he did not see any problem (?) and if I thought it was crooked, “shim it”. I did not want to be “that” Karen customer and get all rambunctious. I knew both issues were fixable. I was hoping he would make some effort to do something but if I recall he did not even give a cursory sorry. I felt particularly brushed off.

Makai

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 00:45:11

DrakeSequation wrote:

it is not missing wood under the high E, it has too much wood from the low E to B.

Got it.

You wouldn't be a "Karen" for asking what you paid for. I think you should try to get a better picture of the defect (brighter lighting), send it to him, explain it to him as you explained to us, and let him know you'd like him to make it right.

If you're not confident fixing it yourself then definitely take it to a luthier. It looks like you'd need to remove the guide, then carefully file off the excess fretboard, then re-glue the guide.

The fretboard/guide defect and the lack of screws with no holes in the body for the pick up cover shows that he's not taking his time. It should be easy for him to help you out and deal with these small issues instead of trying to brush you off. Sorry you had to deal with that.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 01:20:23

You shouldn't feel at all bad about insisting, in a calm way, on getting the guitar you paid for.

I don't know this guitar. Set neck? If not, have Shade send you a replacement neck.

ldk wrote:

You shouldn't feel at all bad about insisting, in a calm way, on getting the guitar you paid for.

I don't know this guitar. Set neck? If not, have Shade send you a replacement neck.

It is a bolt on neck. A replacement would be nice. I feel a bit worn down by the experience as I had heard such good things about Mr. Shade from this here site. I pined for the Hallmarks for a long while and then when I decided to get a pair it took a fair amount of hustle to get it funded. Then I had to wait for a few months after paying. The guitars are wonderful besides those quality control issues.

Makai

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 04:13:31

Just so everyone knows, that customer did contact me, and e-mailed me an image that was dark and I could not see the issue but knew what he was talking about. We spoke about the possibilities and I offered a couple of ideas for a quick fix, and I did apologize for the inconvenience and he seemed good with that. As well I did give him the option to send the guitar back for closer inspection and or repair if needed. (which still stands today) I do stand behind our products.
I also send him some a complimentary Hallmark Guitars Presents cd with a booklet to check out while he was waiting on his order, and went the extra mile of putting his strings on the guitars to set it up just for those which I do not mind doing at no additional charge.
I do take my customers seriously and hope for a pleasant experience for everyone. I hope this helps and please know I am available at any time. Sincerely, Bob Shade/ Hallmark Guitars

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 16:33:14

I guess I really didn't see what the issue is from zooming the picture as it appeared to look like something else entirely to me. As illustrated in your drawing, the string guide is slightly askew due to the end of the fret board not being cut perfectly straight. The binding and fret board are intact. I think I get it now. I'm not much of a photographer and I find it to be very difficult to get decent close-up photos with the shadows and reflections off the chrome. It's very unfortunate that the guitar you waited so long for had problems like this. You don't typically hear of these type of issues with Hallmarks. Hopefully it will all get sorted out to your satisfaction.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020 17:42:55

Hallmark wrote:

Just so everyone knows, that customer did contact me, and e-mailed me an image that was dark and I could not see the issue but knew what he was talking about. We spoke about the possibilities and I offered a couple of ideas for a quick fix, and I did apologize for the inconvenience and he seemed good with that. As well I did give him the option to send the guitar back for closer inspection and or repair if needed. (which still stands today) I do stand behind our products.
I also send him some a complimentary Hallmark Guitars Presents cd with a booklet to check out while he was waiting on his order, and went the extra mile of putting his strings on the guitars to set it up just for those which I do not mind doing at no additional charge.
I do take my customers seriously and hope for a pleasant experience for everyone. I hope this helps and please know I am available at any time. Sincerely, Bob Shade/ Hallmark Guitars

This is a copy and paste of our final contact:

Me:
I received the guitars. The fretboards are great! Beautifully dark and clean. One guitar is fit as a fiddle but the other has two issues (pics included). First, only two holes were drilled for the rear pickup ring. The two holes nearest the bridge are undrilled and sans screws. Second, the string guide is crooked and the end of the fretboard cut at an angle. Not a smidge aesthetically off, but enough that the G binds. In the pic you can see the end of the fretboard is cut at an angle (not parallel to the zero fret) from the low E to the B and then a large gap under the hi E. The degree of crookedness may not come through by just eyeballing the pic, but if you look at the distance between the zero fret and string guide at the low E binding and then look at that same at the hi E (which should be the same as the low E to be parallel) the angle is more evident.

I can set the pickup ring screws if you will send wood screws same as the other six. The string guide is medable as the miscut left extra wood (rather than taking away too much wood) but will require a professional guitar luthier out of pocket. The ends of the binding between the zero fret and string guide are cut evenly with one another on the low and hi E sides. For whatever reason when the end of the fretboard was cut it was done so at an angle and those sides were not connected (hence the gap under the hi E). To be repaired the string guide will have to be removed and the extra wood at the end of the fretboard cut straight across to the even binding ends then the string guide reinstalled up against the straight fretboard end.

Mr. Shade:
I will be happy to send you the two screws that are missing.

As far as the string guide slot being off I cannot tell from the photo. I do not recommend having it re-cut. I would suggest a shim if it is not to your liking.

I will get the screws out to you tomorrow.

I do not know how one can not see that gap under the high E. I will take him at his word that he did not. However, even if he did not notice the problem he should have followed up given I mentioned out of pocket repair cost about a brand new item I just opened.

Do to some things that transpired over the course of the transaction I mentioned the luthier specifically to see if Mr. Shade would respond in a proactive manner. He did not and I had waited so long for the guitars I did not want to drag it out any longer by making demands. This was the last contact we had. He did not given me any option to return/repair the guitar which seems overly cumbersome not to mention other issues.

As a separate issue, he did notice and acknowledge the undrilled pickup ring holes. He was courteous and sent the replacement screws I asked for and drilling two screw holes is not a big deal. But as I had mentioned in a previous post, there is not even a cursory apology or any sense of how can I make this right. Remember, I prepaid over $2200 and waited months for these guitars. His response felt like he had his phone and 15 seconds before his movie started and that was that. He never followed up.

Makai

Bogus! You were tolerant and courteous in your email, and if that was the last one in the line I’m sure the previous ones were just as courteous. You were understanding to wait months and to not want to instantly send the guitar back. In my opinion, you are right. He totally blew you off. That sucks and I’m sorry this happened. Sometimes people get in a headspace that effectively cut them off from other peoples perspectives. Hopefully this is just that, and he will come out of that headspace and step up and do the right thing. Which in my opinion, is take the guitar back at his expense, fix it, and send it back within one week.

Daniel Deathtide

Manufacturing errors combined with a quality control fail. I second others suggestions to return it to Bob.

Once again, and not trying to drag this on.......first, the guitars were not in stock when they were ordered. I explained it would take the time it took to get the guitars in stock and he said "he was in no hurry" which worked out great. So I was up front about the time it would take to get them. We discussed in detail the complaint he had on the one guitar after receiving them, ( he said one guitar was great but one had an issue) and I explained to him on his phone call to me " I could not see the issue from the photo that was e-mailed to me" The photo that was sent was dark and the dark fingerboard was not very visible on my side ( it could have been a different picture than the one posted here because I see it on this photo) but I did understand what he was talking about. So we discussed options, one of which was sending the guitar back for service, and the other taking care of it on his end with some guidance from me. He did not select returning the guitar. Some guys like taking care of a minor issue on their own, and I get that too........Above all, after all this time I still stand by returning the guitar for service like I mentioned in my last quote and also when we spoke on the phone originally. It is his decision.

I'll say it again. Send him the neck, sans tuning machines. Shipping cost should be less than 20 bucks. If it were me, either this neck repaired or a replacement neck would be fine.

I ordered a 65 Custom and it was perfect. Bob was very nice to work with. Hallmarks are a great value and make awesome surf guitars.

Sonic_Blue wrote:

Funny you should post on this thread. When I initially contacted Mr. Shade I was planning on buying a Man...Or Astro-Man? model and a custom finish ‘65 in Sonic Blue with white pickups - the exact one-off guitar you ordered. I ended up getting two MOAM models.

Makai

Page 1 of 1