Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
327 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
254 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
254 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
174 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
153 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
121 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
115 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
75 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
9 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
9 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink Need help/recommendations with audio Interface for PC

Page 1 of 1

I'm helping a friend get set up to record. He has a HP laptop. I've always been a Mac guy, so I don't know if there's anything I should be specifically looking for.
He wants 4 inputs minimum, so would something like this Focusrite work. Does anybody have any experience with these units?

Is there anything cheaper?

Thanks,
ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

I use a Presonus USB Audiobox with two inputs, and it works just fine. Seems like adding inputs really jacks up the price. A possible cheaper alternatives is to get two interfaces that have two inputs each - DAWs should be able to handle that just fine, but you'd have to be able to keep track of everything.

Can't he use an old mixer first?

Danny Snyder

Latest project - Now That's What I Call SURF
_
"With great reverb comes great responsibility" - Uncle Leo

I'm back playing keys and guitar with Combo Tezeta

The Focusrite should be fine. Their gear has a decent reputation.

Unlike Macs, PCs do not allow for the creation of aggregated devices, so I would advise against the idea of trying to use two smaller interfaces, unless they are of the same type and capable of being used together and seen by the PC as one device.

Los Fantasticos

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020 23:51:04

I recently bought a Roland Rubix 24. 2 audio inputs plus compression/limiter and midi in and out. It runs on USB 2.0 5volt PC/Mac. The next model up is the Rubix 44 with 4 inputs - It might be worth look.

On a side note I matched the Roland with a pair of Presonus Eris 3.5 active studio monitors with Kevlar cones. For £90 new they are amazingly good.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020 02:44:57

I use a Steinberg UR824; it's awesome, but may be out of his price range. The discrete preamps in the Steinberg give me a great tone.

Agree with Django, do not get two interfaces, it makes integration with software platforms a nightmare and will probably create problems for mixing, memory usage, etc. What is his budget, realistically?

Give us an idea of how much he can spend, and what he is leaning towards and then the SG101 Brain Trust will evaluate accordingly... Big Grin

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Boss BR-800 available used for under $200 on Ebay. There are also units for sale on Reverb. It is much more than an audio-to-USB 4-track simultaneous recording interface. It is a freestanding 4-channel recorder that can operate on ordinary alkaline batteries, an audio recording editor, and a digital effects box (including a good bass guitar emulation). It also has 2 built-in mics. I found that it is not easy to use. Moving recordings it makes internally into a computer is surprisingly complex but I have done it.

I have never gotten around to comparing the quality of its recordings with the high quality ones I make for Insanitizers CDs. I have used this device only for developing new compositions while vacationing.

Insanitizers! http://www.insanitizers.com

Hey Hive Mind- Thanks for all your suggestions! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. - Ferenc

Buy Speed of Dark @ Bandcamp
Buy Spin the Bottle @ Bandcamp
My Blog- Euro Tour Blog
Pool Boys on Spotify
INSTAGRAM
Frankie & The Pool Boys on FB
Pollo Del Mar on FB
DJ Frankie Pool Boy on North Sea Surf Radio

Page 1 of 1