Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
255 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
255 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
175 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
122 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Surfy Bear Classic Blonde vs Black Metal

Page 1 of 1

All,
The Fender tank (reissue) I bought years ago used has never performed like I need it to, retubed, cleaned, but not enjoying it. Doesn't sound as nice as Jim's (my bassist/2nd gtr) older unit.

Anyway, heard a lot of good things about surfy bear and would like to downsize and get away from the tubes.

Need nuanced differences between the Classic and Metal for anyone who has played/heard both. Thanks, I looked for a thread, so if I missed it, please point me in the direction. Otherwise surf geeks, I need your input!!!!!!
(FYI-Already saw Facebook video from SurfyBear, would like you'all's take)

Surfcat

2023 SG101 Compilation - Tribute to Noel
The Journey Home - Agent Octopus (Our SG101 Comp download)

From Atlantis with Love - Released - July 2023
Agent Octopus-Spotify
Christmas on the Beach - NEW SINGLE Dec 2023!!
Reverb Galaxy - Angle of Attack CD - BANDCAMP

Surf, the most dangerous of all musical genres...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020 10:22:11

Hey ArtS,

This is a very good question. For those that haven't had the opportunity to try all 3 Surfy Bear reverb products in person, here's how I break it down in the most simple, practical terms...

1. Classic This is really all about tradition, aesthetic and vintage vibe. Controls and appearance just like a traditional tube outboard unit, just much smaller and lighter.

2. Metal A look, footprint and features for a more "modern" player used to certain newer advancements in a pedal. It has an on/off switch with a light, the ability to utilize a separate foot switch, true bypass and, the BIG difference in functionality, it has an additional volume knob for even further tone adjustment.

3. Compact Take the metal, shrink it down considerably, and add a built-in "DRIP SWITCH" that allows you to alternate between two different levels of reverb. Maybe you have a song that requires both heavy drip and light reverb. This allows you to switch between the two on the fly with the simple tap of a switch, rather than physically have to change the settings on your traditional outboard unit and back. And the BIG new advancement with the Compact is the DECAY knob, which lets you dial in your reverb even more by adjusting the tail. And of course, the size! You cannot imagine how good the sound is that comes out of this little guy! Honestly, I was very skeptical that the smaller size and different spring configuration would drip as much, but it does and is amazing!

I hope this makes things a little clearer regarding the differences between these three incredible products! It really comes down to your own personal applications and requirements. Notice that I didn't mention anything about the differences in the actual sound. This is because all 3 sound incredible and provide a true spring reverb satisfaction. Honestly, you can't go wrong.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

JonPaul,
Thanks! Leaning towards the classic. A few more $$$, but I think that would fit my style better.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Agree with JonPaul on how amazing the Compact sounds. I was skeptical as well. I bought both the Compact and Metal version because I had to see for myself. It's crazy how similar they actually can sound. The build and design on the Compact is incredible too.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020 19:14:56

Thanks guys, sounds like I can't go wrong with any unit. Appreciate the input.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Here's a video that Lorenzo made that explains the differences, even though Jonpaul nailed it pretty well.
https://youtu.be/IktpqDk0Iqw

http://www.satanspilgrims.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Satans-Pilgrims/8210228553
https://satanspilgrims.bandcamp.com/
http://www.surfyindustries.com

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020 21:46:46

To me the Metal version is a bit darker and modern sounding where as the classic is brighter and more traditional (6G15) sounding. I had the metal version for a while but I couldn't get the brightness/dwell to do what I needed.

derekirving wrote:

To me the Metal version is a bit darker and modern sounding where as the classic is brighter and more traditional (6G15) sounding. I had the metal version for a while but I couldn't get the brightness/dwell to do what I needed.

Thanks! That's good to know. SPskins, already saw video.

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

ALL THANKS FOR HELP.
JUST ORDERED MINE, CLASSIC SHOULD BE HERE EARLY NEXT WEEK!!!
SUPER EXCITED!!! Big Grin

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

I just got my classic blonde earlier this week - loving it! I plan to make a video demo comparing it with my '64 Fender Reverb Unit and my various reverb pedals. Cool

The doofus formerly known as Snorre
Surfysonic on YouTube
World Famous Philistines: 2014 - 2015
K39: 2013 - 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv9JADQ4ukw

I got my Metal yesterday. Love this pedal. I've got to say that of course everyone's gear varies but with my set up I don't find this pedal in any way dark...I'm using a guitar with a single vintage bridge Dynasonic. I like the tone at 4 on the pedal...that's plenty bright with my Headstrong Litl King S (suped up Princeton style amp).

The only issue I've encountered was buzzing caused by the Voodoo Labs PP2+ which I am using to power the other pedals. I moved it a few inches from the Surfy Bear on my board and now its fine.

Couldn't be happier with this pedal. Cool

Surfysonic wrote:

I just got my classic blonde earlier this week - loving it! I plan to make a video demo comparing it with my '64 Fender Reverb Unit and my various reverb pedals. Cool

Looking forward to the shootout!!!!

Surfcat

Agent Octopus-Spotify

Page 1 of 1