Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
249 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
249 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
169 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
70 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Musician »

Permalink Recorded my first surf song, opinions wanted

Page 1 of 1

I've been trying to crack the surf rock code forever and finally have a short demo to show for it, let me know what you think and what I can do to improve for the next one.

https://soundcloud.com/user-852258434/my-day-of-ups-and-downs

In an attempt to get things moving, I'll start by saying I can hear the 2nd guitar & bass line in my head with this tune.
You've done well, keep going, I dig it!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020 11:10:55

I agree that you have a good start here. Really, you pretty much have a song, as the spot where you stop can go back into the second section and then onto some kind of ending to get the rest of the length you need.

I like how you've structured the song. It's nice to have distinct sections like this. You've structured it around Amin and Cmaj and I like how it modulates between the two in the second section. Is that the up and down motion of the day?

One thing I'll say, though, is that I find the second section's changes a little weak. You go Cmaj - Fmaj - Emin. A I-IV-iii and it hangs on the Emin as the melody resolves. I feel this leaves a lot on the table. That Emin is pretty weak feeling to me. I would like to hear something more dramatic there. For instance, replacing it with the V, a Gmaj, and then landing back on the Cmaj. Or perhaps hitting the Emin just momentarily on the way up to the Gmaj. You might even be able to leave the melody exactly how it is and have it sound really cool. (EDIT: I tried it and a I-IV-V sounded best to me.)

Your bridge part is good. I like how you go from the F to the B for the "devil's interval" and on from there. Although I do have another recommendation for something to try. Those first four chords: F - B - C - E, I would rearrange to this: F - B - E - C to get a stronger movement at the B - E, mainly. I would be tempted to try playing all these chords as majors, too, just to really differentiate it from the rest of the song. Except the B I'd make a dominant 7. (EDIT: Scratch the all majors. I tried it and kept the Emin as is but had to adjust the melody to sound good over my suggested progression.)

Anyway, cool song and thanks for sharing! Keep it up.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020 22:05:59

Page 1 of 1