Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
328 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
256 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
256 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
176 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
154 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
123 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
116 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
77 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
10 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
10 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

56%

56%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Horror.....The Horror....

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I like The Black Flamingos btw And the cover of Toxic by The Surfragettes helped to reignite my surf fire. I think she must have stumbled across that label that the drummer of the Black Flamingos owns. I discovered it too after I got fired up by Toxic. I'm learning all the time from this forum, but I gotta admit those influences went a long way in bringing me here.

surferjoemusic wrote:

I will ask Brian to delete my posts because I don't know how to do it.

I don't mind the spirited debate. I'm still learning all the players in this scene. I got to see how much Surfer Joe cares.

Anyone is free to put up a video on surf that tells another point of view. It isn't an officially sanctioned education resource so I'm not concerned about holding that host to a very high standard.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Yeah I was thinking "I can't imagine Vincent and Magdalena are bummed out by this."

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

Fady wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Brian wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

This person likes the same stuff as us; why not try and include them in our community?

Yes! This person is obviously new to the genre but really likes it and is exposing it to her peer group. Why trash it? This makes me bummed out. She took the time to CREATE A THING. That's something these days.

Because you are not taking jokes seriously enough.

Sorry, but as self proclaimed “international ambassador of surf music“, “co-organizer of the most important, prestigious and awaited surf music event in then world”, “One of the most respected artists in modern surf music” (source) you don’t get a pass.

You are showing up here as the international jack ass of surf by continuing to poke fun at people you feel are beneath you and not worthy of your club.

Adding a video by a forum member here who actually played this stuff in the early 60’s (Don aka Duceditor here) as an implied ‘kinda like this guy who is equally wrong and a horror too’ just cements the deal.

Don’t be a dick.

Sorry, you are right. I am Italian dick.
I asked Brian to remove all my posts, including the long reply that I wrote you this morning. I am out of here. Good luck.

Lorenzo "Surfer Joe" Valdambrini
(www.surfmusic.net)

My problem is the format, not the content. No one expects 100% factual info in videos like that. (Or do they?) I’m just not the target audience for that style of video.

This is one of those “I’m glad it exists but it’s not my cup of tea.”

Someone needs to invite her to this site, if she’s serious. Something tells me in a month she may have completely forgotten surf. (Hope I’m wrong!)
But there is no “hate” in my feelings at all. I found it charming until I had to stop watching.

Daniel Deathtide

surferjoemusic wrote:

I asked Brian to remove all my posts, including the long reply that I wrote you this morning. I am out if here. Good luck.

Are you serious??? Is the dispute over a single Youtube video, which probably everyone will have forgotten in a few days, really worth deleting everything and distancing yourself from the whole forum?

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

surferjoemusic wrote:

Fady wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Brian wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

This person likes the same stuff as us; why not try and include them in our community?

Yes! This person is obviously new to the genre but really likes it and is exposing it to her peer group. Why trash it? This makes me bummed out. She took the time to CREATE A THING. That's something these days.

Sorry, but as self proclaimed “international ambassador of surf music“, “co-organizer of the most important, prestigious and awaited surf music event in then world”, “One of the most respected artists in modern surf music” (source) you don’t get a pass.

You are showing up here as the international jack ass of surf by continuing to poke fun at people you feel are beneath you and not worthy of your club.

Adding a video by a forum member here who actually played this stuff in the early 60’s (Don aka Duceditor here) as an implied ‘kinda like this guy who is equally wrong and a horror too’ just cements the deal.

Don’t be a dick.

Sorry, you are right. I am Italian dick.
I asked Brian to remove all my posts, including the long reply that I wrote you this morning. I am out of here. Good luck.

I am not trying to be right.

I am standing up for a thriving and engaging, healthy community coming together around the music we all love.

I did see your lengthy response before it got removed at your request.

I sincerely respect, admire and appreciate your passion about and dedication to Surf Music, and that you've literally invested your life and being to make it your livelihood. Kudos and Thank You. Seriously. You are promoting Surf Music around the world and that is fantastic.

I do think it was a bit incongruent, however, to espouse that you are so passionate about dispelling mistruths and misinformation about this music specifically and how deeply important that is to you.

I say that because when I look back over the last 2 years of your posts here (you've made just about 120 since early May 2018), here's what I see:

• 76 promoting or responding to your own threads about your products, events, personal releases or tour (call it your stuff).
  • 24 that aren't corresponding to your stuff that are mere acknowledgment of another comment, a question for more info on what someone meant, or a short quip, playful comment or other insignificant comment (like the Jazzmaster love on Ivan's latest video share for example).
  • 10 were not corresponding to your stuff but clearly framed as your opinion or what you like.
  • 5 not about your stuff were arguably jabs or just condescending.
  • 3 were sincere, thoughtful value add insights to surf music or the making of surf music that didn't specifically pertain to your stuff.

For someone so passionate about correcting mis-information or half-truths about Surf Music, that's an interesting breakdown of the last 2 years of your mission as I see them here on SG101.

In sum, no, you're not some Italian dick, not even most of the time. You were showing up poorly in this conversation though, and in my opinion, to the detriment of the community at large. So I spoke up.

You are, no doubt, passionate and deeply invested in the music. And the business. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

My unsolicited advice to someone who needs and heavily leverages this already tiny community for your livelihood... when you aren't self-promoting & corresponding to matters of your business here on SG101 (nothing wrong with that in my book), that you consider making more contributions that add value and share your deep and vast knowledge - and in a manner that welcomes and grows the community (aka, your customers or future customers).

Or, if you prefer to further divide and reduce this/your already small total addressable market with your sense of humor and fun toward the misguided or under informed about what is pure, true Surf Music, well, that is your choice too.

Peace.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

My initial reaction to this thread was to remember when I was new and enthusiastic and I got shit on by some elitist gatekeepers on the old Cowabunga email list. If I had gotten discouraged by that maybe I would have moved on and missed out on everything the surf community has brought into my life. That made me sad.

I still feel that way, and the name of this website has a "101" in it, which implies this is for beginners.

I read all of Lorenzo's posts that he asked me to take down. He does (or did I guess) have a lot of good points in there too though. And I really do love Lorenzo as a person and have lots of respect for what he does. He works incredibly hard and is very passionate.

So I guess is there some middle ground where we can be more welcoming of new people but more kindly guide them? I was in a big discussion about this this morning (well mainly listening) and the thing that initially soured me to this thread was that it seemed to be 'punching down'. There is a shit ton of that on the FB surf groups and is largely why I don't even bother over there.

It's a new world out there with random people making content (videos, twitch streams, instagram feeds) and it's all about getting likes and exposure... "influencing". It's tempting to circle the wagons when we encounter something new like that but maybe just maybe we can recruit a new person to the cause and if we treat them well they can soak up what we've learned and pass it along in a new format for a new audience. Otherwise all the stuff dies with us.

I'm rambling now but I just want to say no hard feelings and to clarify Lorenzo just wanted his posts IN THIS THREAD removed. I really hope he is not leaving SG101 as he does have a pretty unique perspective on things.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

It’s ok Fady. You don’t have to give me numbers. You don’t know me and I have not any intention to express myself anymore. After all I have spent concretely (sorry I was just promoting myself because I was busy touring instead of talking) in terms of money and life experiences I don’t need lessons.

Good luck everybody.

(www.surfmusic.net)

simoncoil wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

I asked Brian to remove all my posts, including the long reply that I wrote you this morning. I am out if here. Good luck.

Are you serious??? Is the dispute over a single Youtube video, which probably everyone will have forgotten in a few days, really worth deleting everything and distancing yourself from the whole forum?

Yep. We’ll see you in Berlin or in Livorno my friend.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020 12:42:01

Well said Fady.

It’s not as if there are cred points to be gained by knowing what gauge strings to put on a jazzmaster. If a guitarist becomes interested in surf they can find out what authentic surf is for themselves, they don’t need to be educated or corrected. It’s not rocket science.

Even the title of this thread is insulting someone who went out of their way to share something with their followers. If this lady turned up at a gig would you turn her away Jean Paul?

Sharawaji Records - UK Registered Record Label Dedicated To Surf, Instro, Reverb and Twang
DripFeed.net - the Network for Surf Music Join Now
Surf Rock Radio - the World’s Number 1 Surf Music Station
Surf Music Radio - the World's Number 2 Surf Music Station
Monstromental - Pulp Horror Instro Surf Radio

surferjoemusic wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Better sooner than later! Take care!

Los Apollos - cinematic surf music trio (Berlin)
"Postcards from the Scrapyard" Vol. 1, 2 & 3 NOW available on various platforms!
"Chaos at the Lobster Lounge" available as LP and download on Surf Cookie Records!

This thread is bummer: grown ass man rage quits when called out.

Guys, this isn't a good look.

simoncoil wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

simoncoil wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Better sooner than later! Take care!

December

(www.surfmusic.net)

pavlovsdog wrote:

This thread is bummer: grown ass man rage quits when called out.

In Lorenzo's defense, I see zero 'rage' - and he was insulted multiple times. His comments may have been right or wrong (I'm actually of two minds on that), but i don't think he deserved that.

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Thanks Ivan. You know what?!? I will repost what I originally wrote. I have never stepped back and I will not start now.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Fady wrote:

surferjoemusic wrote:

Brian wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

Don’t be a dick.
ok

first of all I am making fun of the product, the video in here. Based on the fact that - as I said before and as others said, both here and FB - one person does not step into something pretending to give a lesson. You see, differently from you probably I really REALLY care about the good name of this music and that the information given, especially to new liker, is correct and complete. For you it's obviously enough that new people step in, but it's not my case. I want people to really appreciate surf and it's history, not just to come in for a week and then leave thinking that this music, like any other music, is easy and with little meaning historically and culturally. We live in a world of ignorance about anything and I like to avoid that someone spread ignorance even more.
New people will see the video, will not get it at all (see comments on YouTube), will make some people more distant and underestimating the genre.

For you, dear Fady, this maybe a nice hobby. For me it's not. I make a living on this, I dedicated my life to this and frankly I don't have anything to demonstrate to anyone to be able to give my opinion about things.

Probably I AM an "international jack ass of surf" for the simple reason that I'd like things to be done properly, not like shit as I see very much around me and in many cases. So, with the age and the experience, I am becoming more and more critic.

So get back your "people you feel are beneath you and not worthy of your club" because people who know me and what I do, understands exactly what I mean and what I say. I am not better than anyone who knows the history of this genre and my "club" is even "yours" since you are in this forum which SHOULD BE the bible of surf music, looking also at its archives, and that "new people" don't even check before writing, asking or even creating videos.

So Brian - I call him too - says "She took the time to CREATE A THING. That's something these days." well... EVERYBODY is creating a THING today Brian. And probably that's the problem. Everybody create a thing too soon, in a superficial way, not digging or deeply discovering things. But everybody likes to CREATE A THING. When a thing is created incorrectly and superficially it's just a new source of misinformation and fake news, don't you agree on this? So does everybody has to be acclaimed just because spent some time to CREATE A THING? Please explain. Because if it's so - tomorrow I will look at what job you are doing, and that I have never done, and I will CREATE a video giving a lesson about how to do that job.

Regarding the other video I have reposted and that has been long discussed, yes, I make fun of that video, not the person of course, because it's also very incorrect explaining the "surf sound". He does not mention amps, instruments, the history of that sound, how it was created or anything before trying recreate a bad version of it using a zillion pedals when all he had to do was just saying "buy a reverb tank". So I put it in the group of bad videos done for surf music.

You see - do you think I am happy when I open YouTube and search for surf music and instead of showing up videos of Slacktone or Dick Dale or Jon & The Nightriders or good surf bands, all that comes up are tutorials of "random gurus" and music experts throwing some piece of information wrongly glued together just to make new likes to their channel? Because apparently in 2020 all that counts is the number of likes, not the quality of the information. And these two videos just add to that collection.

You are totally right to call me a dick when I need to be called a dick. But please don't let me call you stupid because you think the information distributed with these videos is good.

With this, no hard feelings of course. I never have hard feeling with whoever calls me a dick. I would like to be called "dick" more often. But instead I have hard feelings against ignorance.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Hello Fellas,

let's please stop this hard aggressive vibe now. I agree with many posts complaining about elitist gatekeeper-comments from some. However I do appriciate some of these people for what they do and did and I also think, that in retrospective they might wish to have posted less negative.

A wise man learns every day - sometimes even from fools. None of us is more important than the other. Respect does not depend on reputation. I think respect should be paid to everyone.

I would really hate to see sg101 developing the same problems the German surfmusic forum had many years back, before it died. The vibe was getting more and more rude, gatekeepters bashing newbys or people, who posted off topic. Newbys intentionaly provoking and annoying the gatekeepers... It was no fun anymore...

Don't do this here please....

surfing-matze wrote:

Hello Fellas,

let's please stop this hard aggressive vibe now. I agree with many posts complaining about elitist gatekeeper-comments from some. However I do appriciate some of these people for what they do and did and I also think, that in retrospective they might wish to have posted less negative.

A wise man learns every day - sometimes even from fools. None of us is more important than the other. Respect does not depend on reputation. I think respect should be paid to everyone.

I would really hate to see sg101 developing the same problems the German surfmusic forum had many years back, before it died. The vibe was getting more and more rude, gatekeepters bashing newbys or people, who posted off topic. Newbys intentionaly provoking and annoying the gatekeepers... It was no fun anymore...

Don't do this here please....

Matze:

the purpose of the Surfer Joe Summer festival, born in 2003, has always been to feature new bands. I started with the Italians at the time. We have opened the first and only diners inspired by surf music creating enemies with local music scenes. We have invested about 1 million in the past 17 years in the name of surf music and we could have bought houses instead of organising the festival. I have met and talked to countless bands and artists, newbies and experts, collected experience in thousands of hours, and I started touring professionally making a little less than 1000 shows since 2011 when I can back from Antigua which is more than the vast majority of people in surf music, all to collect experiences on stages, PAs, amps, effects, reverbs, how they sound on a stage, in a club, changing gear, playing good, playing bad, playing sick or in bad mood, playing after 15 hours sitting in a van. Could not work with any agencies since any agency I have tried to work with could find for me 1/10 of the shows I can book by myself. So I just worked my ass off in Europe (CET) and starting at 6pm in US time, 18 hours/day. I divorced due my passion for surf music (yes I tell you also my personal past issues since we are a "surf family") and I have gone through shit, but playing surf music kept me alive. Oh and one last thing: I pay fucking taxes as a musician and with my businesses (including Surfy Industries - another businesses started just for the love of surf music) in 4 countries.

So even regarding your post I don't need lessons, sorry. By no one. I have paid my dues to say what the fuck I want about this subject and I have no problem in personal direct confrontations anytime.

Now, can you ask me again what surf music is? Can you ask me again what I think of newbies giving lessons to "gatekeepers"?

Or you people will continue to send me emails as "friends" ONLY when you ask me to play the Surfer Joe Summer festival?

I have always used this forum respectfully, making some jokes sometimes and having some fun. Then some Fady guy counts and measures the number of posts I have written in the past 2 years when I was busy touring, organising (and with "organising" I mean spending the fucking days to book hotel room for bands and trying to find ways not to loose money with 25 employees to pay at every summer festival) thinking about calling me a dick. Yes please, call me a dick because I am NOT changing my mind. I think before speaking and when I speak it's what I think.

I hope I have been clear and probably someone here would need to bring some respect, like I did when I was a newbie.

(www.surfmusic.net)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020 15:43:40

I think criticism is fine as long as you're not insulting someone personally, being racist, sexist etc... The vinyl guru's video or any video for that matter is open for criticism. You can't always pump people up all the time. If you get discouraged from some criticism, maybe you should do something else. I reckon every musician has got a story when someone laughed at them. "Youtube influencers" should't be immune to criticism.

Paul

The Dead Planet Surfers

el_pablo wrote:

I think criticism is fine as long as you're not insulting someone personally, being racist, sexist etc... The vinyl guru's video or any video for that matter is open for criticism. You can't always pump people up all the time. If you get discouraged from some criticism, maybe you should do something else. I reckon every musician has got a story when someone laughed at them. "Youtube influencers" should't be immune to criticism.

I understand your comment. This said, look at my first post: I have made fun of the PRODUCT. Have I said "that fucking bitch made a video blah blah?" Have I said "that Don guy is an idiot?" Have I been racist or sexist? For me personally, if I have to tell someone to fuck off, I just do it straight and easy, because I think about what I do before doing it and I am ready to take consequences. And I don't care what color you are or where you come from.

I am NOBODY to OFFEND these people personally and I would NEVER EVER DO it. I just said that the girl gives not correct information and call the Ventures, VENTÙRES. Don calls the reverb, REVÈRB. Which is a small joke. You know how many joke people have done on me? So?

(www.surfmusic.net)

Goto Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next