Photo of the Day
BTD
BTD
Shoutbox

sysmalakian: Birthday month starts now!
363 days ago

diceophonic: Vampiro Classics 2024 reissue
344 days ago

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
301 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
229 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
229 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
149 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
127 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
95 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
89 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
50 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

100%

100%

Donate Now

Cake March Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Surf Music General Discussion »

Permalink The Horror.....The Horror....

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next

Wow.

Insect Surfers
The Tikiyaki Orchestra
The Scimitars
Lords Of Atlantis
Fiberglass Jungle - Surf Radio

I just couldn’t make it past the first jump cut.

Daniel Deathtide

Well... yeah this woman is a cringey, and doesn't have the immaculate perception of what Surf music is, and her presentation is dumb, and she's wrong about things... but still, at least she tries to expose a little bit of this 60 years old 'scene' to her current Youtube crowd, whoever they may be...
Easy for us to criticize her, but most music listening internet people don't even know that this thing even exists. Pulp Fiction happened 26 years ago!

Wherever it is generally good or bad to our passion, is up to debate.
Can bad advertising have a good influence still? Professional marketers would say yes. In these days of terrible pop culture, my personal take is that anything that doesn't autotune bad rap lyrics and has real instruments is a plus, however it may be presented. The right people will get it and explore.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020 14:52:28

Well, at least she didn't call it surf rock...

Now I'm off to find some of that Pet Shop Boys doo-wop surf music.

the way to hell is paved with good intentions ... and ignorance Yes

When you have to shoot ... shoot! Don't talk.
"Los Grainders" www.facebook.com/losgrainders
"Planeta Reverb" www.facebook.com/planetareverb

This person likes the same stuff as us; why not try and include them in our community?

At 4'30"..... does she say "Pet Shop Boys"???!!!

pavlovsdog wrote:

This person likes the same stuff as us; why not try and include them in our community?

Yes! This person is obviously new to the genre but really likes it and is exposing it to her peer group. Why trash it? This makes me bummed out. She took the time to CREATE A THING. That's something these days.

Site dude - S3 Agent #202
Need help with the site? SG101 FAQ - Send me a private message - Email me

"It starts... when it begins" -- Ralf Kilauea

Right...I had to rewind that par a couple of times. "Did she actually say?..." But aside from that (surely she just misspoke!) and some chronological errors, I actually thought she did good for a non-combatant. She is turning people on to the right stuff. The fact that she discovered the Surfrajettes from their Brittany Spears cover isn't lost on me, nor some others as well as there was mention of that around here some time ago I think. Not a bad way to get over?

Agree

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

Her heart is in the right place, so I'll cut her some slack. I love Link Wray, surf or no surf.

Although I dislike the dissemination of totally erroneous information.

Effort and intentions are great for crayon mothers day cards but in the realm of informational videos made available worldwide, accuracy does matter. Especially when dealing with historical material.

The Pet Shop Boys' version of Misirlou came before Link Wray's, not the other way around.

The strong affectation coupled with factual inaccuracies definitely warrants some ribbing, if not straight up admonishment. I can think of a pretty good recent example of this right here at home...

By the way, there isn't actually a surf band called the Avalanches, is there? If there is, gimme!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020 20:47:23

Redfeather wrote:

By the way, there isn't actually a surf band called the Avalanches, is there? If there is, gimme!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzRNj7vjHQsq1ABTsU-G-nQClMTqwBSyy

Ivan
Lords of Atlantis on Facebook
The Madeira Official Website
The Madeira on Facebook
The Blair-Pongracic Band on Facebook
The Space Cossacks on Facebook
The Madeira Channel on YouTube

HA! Thanks, Ivan. I guess that's an official "not really..."

Thirty seconds into the first song and I can tell it's Jerry Cole on lead, right?

surferjoemusic wrote:

Brian wrote:

pavlovsdog wrote:

Yes! This person is obviously new to the genre but really likes it and is exposing it to her peer group. Why trash it? This makes me bummed out. She took the time to CREATE A THING. That's something these days.

Because you are not taking jokes seriously enough.

Sorry, but as self proclaimed “international ambassador of surf music“, “co-organizer of the most important, prestigious and awaited surf music event in then world”, “One of the most respected artists in modern surf music” (source) you don’t get a pass.

You are showing up here as the international jack ass of surf by continuing to poke fun at people you feel are beneath you and not worthy of your club.

Adding a video by a forum member here who actually played this stuff in the early 60’s (Don aka Duceditor here) as an implied ‘kinda like this guy who is equally wrong and a horror too’ just cements the deal.

Don’t be a dick.

Fady

El Mirage @ ReverbNation

1.1k subscribers and she focused on instrumental artists when she talked about surf. It's not a clean victory, but I call it a win.

Storm Surge of Reverb: Surf & Instro Radio

And back to this question

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/32974/latest/

Well, let‘s leave it at this:
i see things differently.
Reading a discussion like this doesn‘t increase my fun factor
of listening, playing and exploring surf and related styles.
I‘d appreciate a less agressive attitude of everybody..
And now i‘ll play guitar... today‘s project: a Cure song in jazz chord melody style with a surf guitar sound...sounds like fun to me ...

Although her video is over the top, and certainly not my style, I applaud her for promoting surf. She's enthusiastic about surf. I see that as a good thing. She's obviously a newbie, and I'm inclined to cut her a lot of slack. I hate the idea of us being a bunch of elitists who make fun of those who don't know the secret handshake. My two cents...

Bob

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020 15:15:14

Goto Page: 1 2 3 Next