Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
322 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
250 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
250 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
170 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
148 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
117 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
110 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
71 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
4 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
4 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Recording Corner »

Permalink #roast me and help me get better

Page 1 of 1

https://jonnyangle.bandcamp.com/album/delusions-of-flanger

I recently released this album. It is, so far, the best recording that I've done. The first three songs are pretty indicative of my recorded sound.

Most of these tracks are doubled guitar, bass, and drums. Four tracks total per song. I feel like the guitar is a little washed out, and I'm looking for things to improve upon.

What do I need to do to get to the next level?

JonnyAngle.Bandcamp.com
DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com

CAn't believe nobody else has commented yet, so I'll chime in. Overall I like the compositions, so I'd mainly suggest tweaking the EQ. Songs 1-3 in particular are really bass heavy - I like to feel and hear the bass but not be pushed over by it. The guitar tracks in most of the songs could use more emphasis on the highs and maybe some of the mid-range or upper mids. The cymbals need to be taken down a notch - they are very prominent and kind of biting, so maybe tame the high frequencies on those. Song 2 around 1:10 or 1:20 gets too cymbal heavy, such that it sounds very clashy - maybe use different cymbals there (maybe hi-hat?).

But overall has a nice heavy Dick Dale Tribal Thunder sound to it.

I am listening on low quality speakers at work, but I like the heavy sound you've got going on there. I especially like Nitrus, and Deception Bay. How did you record the guitar tracks?

MooreLoud.com - A tribute to Dick Dale.

The guitar is going through my fender tank, into pedalboard, into Cabzone LE irs into a focus rite Scarlett into my mbpro running audacity.

My friend, two states away, records the drums on his electronic kit and emails me the wav file.

I'll see if I can get the individual drums broken out in the future.

I can understand on the bass heaviness. I'm going for a little more of a rock feel than straight up traditional surf, but I'll try toning the bass down.

My budget is $0 and I'm looking to cut that in half!

JonnyAngle.Bandcamp.com

I hope this is roasty enough for you to "get to the next level"...

-Your bandcamp bio states that you are a god. You're not. Also there's zero thrash in there. I guess you're being sarcastic in your description. That's ok.

-The first track has bad timing on the drum sound (doesn't sound like real drums either), the timing is lagging and painful to listen to. Use a metronome. Maybe you're trying to fit the drum sound in after the other parts are recorded, it needs to be drums first, then everything else on top.

-Second track, I like the bad over-compressed bassey sound of this one. Sounds bad, in a good way. Thick.

-"Nitrus" just sounds like you're playing "Nitro" incorrectly. I'm bored hearing this. Whatever. I'm sure some people that like hearing the same old stuff over and over will love it. A good tribute.

-"Hard Packed" sounds like you guys are on pills (or something) while trying to play DD's The Victor. I imagine you're having fun though, and that's what counts.

-"Deception Bay"... I'm offended that you neglected to give song writing credit to the legendary Penetrators, yet you took the time to give your release a "© All rights reserved", almost like you're trying to pass it off as your own. Do you have a tuner? This sounds out of tune at times, maybe you need to file the nut on your guitar, and/or use a tuner. And you took a very cool song and made it sound kinda weak. No use of whammy bar, and not in drop D tuning, lacks weight because of it. Whatever though, very good try. The fact that you picked that song is the coolest thing about all of which you posted.

These are my opinions, they mean nothing, of course. I think it's good that you're trying to play music. Definitely keep it up. There are some good moments in there for sure, and the only way we get better is through practice and experience. Go for it! You're doing the right thing, keep creating and don't get hung up on little details.

Oof that’s some harsh barley @sandbug

I cannot live without responding. Thanks for your contribution.

I am aware that I am not a god lol. But you seriously don’t hear any elements of thrash metal in my riffs? I thought that was quite apparent vs other surf music.

You are spot on for the drums on hard packed and gnar czars. Those are the songs that I’m playing drums. However, on future recordings I am going to use a click track to line it up better. I’m using a Roland td11 kit. I’ll see if there’s another kit in there that sounds more realistic.

Nitrus is also a cover of a dick dale tune.

How do you know the Penetrators played that song in drop d? I only play the top string on the G and F chords?

Re: copywrite I am not able
To give writing credits in bandcamp or other streaming sites. I also have netted $0 through my use of their songs.

Thanks for the criticism. This is the first set of songs I’m proud to release. “It sounds perfect” is nice to hear but also doesn’t really help me get better. Recording is really tough.

JonnyAngle.Bandcamp.com

Ok since Sandbug came out I’ll chime in: the weakest part for me was the melodies. I’m talking about cool riffs that end up being the whole song. They sounded like intro riffs to me, and would all be decent heralds of further melodies. What I’m saying is there is no hooks, just riffs that any surf guitarist warms up with, then given the ole’ I-IV-V treatment.

I also agree that calling yourself a surf rock god is utterly ridiculous. Utterly. Insulting at best.

And - I really liked your first album! That sounded like Fruity Loops. I super dug that first one. It’s great!

Daniel Deathtide

I think we need to take a moment to roast Sandbug for not knowing Nitrus. Given the intensity of his post, I think it's warranted...

Moving on, though, the primary gripe I'll field is thankfully a fairly painless one--and that is timing. Gotta tighten it way up. Find the pocket and climb up in that bitch.

Secondarily, I would agree that the melodic content is fairly thin gruel. Some of that fact one might attribute to the target genre, which isn't strict surf, but still--no one ever complains about a good melody.

I forget who it was who said it (maybe Paul Johnson himself??) but someone mentioned trying to have at least three solid ideas in every song. I do know for sure that Paul pieced together Mr. Moto from multiple separate ideas he had kicking around and if that song isn't proof that it works, I don't know what is.

Arpeggios are the key to good melody, in my opinion. Following the skeletons of the chords rather than fumbling around with random passing notes. Which I'm not saying you do--just that I think it's a common thing for aspiring surf guitarists when they don't know much theory. I did it. But you can totally get away with writing a song that is nothing more than chord arpeggios played in various sequences and even though it kind of feels like cheating, it works!

For your songs, I'd recommend going back and trying to fit different sections into them. Manipulate the buildup and release of tension. It might move you away from the thrash genre (I admit I'm not really up on what this is) but it might also deliver you more satisfying songs and prove itself a worthwhile exercise.

Finally, to everyone who's complaining about it: The surf god thing was clearly done in humor. His posting of this thread, opening himself to being ripped apart by Earth's general population should be proof enough of his humility, shouldn't it?

Last edited: May 27, 2020 19:24:11

@deathtide- it was FL! that was my first recording project ever!

@redfeather- I know I need to tighten it up. I also don't go back. When I go back, it seems that nothing ever gets finished because nothing is ever perfect. I'm also aware that I'm asking for critiques but also I have limitations that I can't change right away I.e., my drumming. If I went back and re-did the drums, it might be 5 years before it's actually released.

My musical background is coming from bands like Shellac and The Austerity Program, which are minimalist, and repetitive. Interesting feedback on the song structure.

I may bring up one of these songs again on a future release with more parts, but considering the reach of my music, I'll keep the existing as is.

thanks again!

I DID make a music video for The Friction Addiction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzen8-AOpxE

JonnyAngle.Bandcamp.com

JonnyAngle wrote:

Oof that’s some harsh barley @sandbug

Sorry if it seemed rough. You asked for a roast, so i didn't pussyfoot around. I amplified my criticisms to make it a roast. My opinion doesn't really matter anyway.

I cannot live without responding. Thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome, of course take everything i said with a grain of sea salt. Really, I'm just a nobody.

I am aware that I am not a god lol. But you seriously don’t hear any elements of thrash metal in my riffs? I thought that was quite apparent vs other surf music.

Yeah, i got that you were joking around. And correct, i don't hear any Thrash, we very well could have a different understanding of the genre. Some bands that i think are thrash are Slayer, Anthrax, Sodom, Possessed, Aura Noir, ect... I'm just not hearing it, that's OK.

Nitrus is also a cover of a dick dale tune.

Well, here's where your appropriate crediting has fallen short again, maybe you should give credit to the original authors in the song title listing, out of respect for the original artist. Otherwise clueless people like me might not get it. I can't help that I'm just a surf guitar poser that obviously deserves to be roasted myself since i don't know every song Dick Dale ever played.

How do you know the Penetrators played that song in drop d? I only play the top string on the G and F chords?

I used my ears. In their version i can hear the low D being played along with a D minor chord. I could be wrong, but i'm fairly certain it's in drop D. And of course it's fine to do it your way though, that's what makes it your own version. No rules.

Thanks for the criticism. This is the first set of songs I’m proud to release. “It sounds perfect” is nice to hear but also doesn’t really help me get better. Recording is really tough.

It's good that you use this forum to get information, but honestly it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I'm sure you'll improve with or without the collective wizdumb of the internet. The key is to just keep doing whatever you do and move forward. I imagine you know yourself better than anyone else. If you can hear the beauty in something then an audience surely will too.

And to Redfeather... you caught me, I actually know nothing about surf guitar, it's obvious. Thanks to your deep insight I now realize that I shouldn't be giving any sort of opinion about surf music, especially if i haven't memorized every composition by Dick Dale. And do keep in mind that roasts are traditionally voluntary, it wasn't me that asked to be roasted, i was merely trying to cater to his roast request by sharing my opinion because the guy literally asked for it. Let me be clear, I would never ask the opinion of random strangers because whatever someone thinks about me really doesn't matter.

Hmm, I think it matters a little bit...

Your lengthy rebuttal and sarcastic gross hyperbole indicate something other than utter indifference.

Which is fine because despite your assertion, it does matter what other people think when the forum is music and its composition and performance. He asked for advice here; he doesn't need to hear that the opinions of others don't matter when that's exactly what he requested. Cool it with the phony indifference.

I have not read the previous replies, besides a glance. Did it get inflammatory? Maybe, but I will chime in anyhow.

There is something really ungroovy going on with the drums. It is flamming and almost sounds like you were fighting latency or something when tracking.

Also, and not related to time, you might want to watch the low-end buildup (esp. the low-mids) on these tracks. Overall it has a scooped sound and I love midrange the most, so I am slightly bummed about that. IMHO, surf is all about midrange. YMMV.

The composition and arrangements seem fine to me. Hey, it sounds like surf!

All in all, not bad for an asynchronous, distance recording venture. But, yes, tighten up those drums! Were these my tracks I would translate and/or humanely quantize the entire drum submix to better match the other elements. And shelve that low end a tad?

SSIV

Referencing other mixes was a game changer for me. I knew I SHOULD do it for a long time before I actually did it. It’s like a dose of reality. Listen not for composition but for sonic balance. I find it helpful in both the mixing and mastering stage. If a track can’t sit neatly amidst a variety of commercial releases it’s not properly balanced/mixed and mastered.

When the mix/mastering is done decently it allows the content to reveal itself without distraction. And then the real roasting can begin - not on technical stuff but the content of your artistry.

Squid From Madrid - New Single on Bandcamp
MB Website

Cool I’m excited for my next project. I’m a 35 yo man that’s basically still at high school demo stages for recording.

I think the next one should be much better. Thanks y’all!

JonnyAngle.Bandcamp.com

Page 1 of 1