Photo of the Day
Shoutbox

SabedLeepski: Sunburn Surf Fest for some scorching hot surf music: https://sunb...
321 days ago

skeeter: I know a Polish sound guy.
248 days ago

skeeter: I know a Czech one too!
248 days ago

PatGall: Surfybear metal settings
168 days ago

Pyronauts: Happy Tanks-Kicking!
147 days ago

midwestsurfguy: Merry Christmas!
115 days ago

sysmalakian: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
109 days ago

SabedLeepski: Surfin‘ Europe, for surf (related) gigs and events in Europe Big Razz https://sunb...
69 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: I like big reverb and i cannot lie
3 days ago

SHADOWNIGHT5150: Bank accounts are a scam created by a shadow government
3 days ago

Please login or register to shout.

Current Polls

No polls at this time. Check out our past polls.

Current Contests

No contests at this time. Check out our past contests.

Donations

Help us meet our monthly goal:

31%

31%

Donate Now

Cake April Birthdays Cake
SG101 Banner

SurfGuitar101 Forums » Gear »

Permalink Fuzz-Rite Switching

Page 1 of 1

A number of years back I was building a Fuzz-Rite clone and met someone online who I've lost contact with when he discontinued his site. He really knew the original pedal well and had been in touch with Ed Sanner regarding its design.

He had mentioned the switching & in particular the orange 'blob' component wired to it. At the time I didn't keep good enough notes...and now I have questions!

So anyone out there with an original pedal and/or knowledge of the wiring, feel free to jump in here.

It appears the switch/circuit & jacks are wired in some fashion other than true-bypass. So first question is; exactly how is it wired? I've looked at dozens of photos, but the wires always seem obscured behind something else.

The next question concerns the orange 'blob' component wired direct to the switch. I know some circuits were built by Sprague and dipped in their entirety, but this is another separate component. I remember my friend saying it was a capacitor (probably Sprague also). But what type, value and exactly what it did I don't know. He did say...'it made a difference'. So anyone with insight into what this mystery component is, please let know.

I'm doing another build of this pedal now and would appreciate any help along the way.

Last edited: Apr 09, 2020 16:02:31

Just a heads up in case you didn't know. Catalinbread makes a Fuzz-Rite. It sounds exactly like a NOS Fuzz-Rite. If you head over to the Sweetwater site there is a comparison between an old F-R, a NOS F-R and a new Catalinbread F-R. It was built in conjunction with the Mosrite estate and you'll find a interview with Mark Moseley. He may still be around and possibly be able/willing to help. Not sure how long ago this all happened, but it may be worth a try. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

I'm sure you're already looking here, but if not diystompboxes.com is a great resource for pedal building. Schematics, as well as tips.

The orange "blob" is a sprague PEC - predecessor of the integrated circuit. Several places to see how they made them with discrete components:
https://hackaday.com/2018/09/12/whats-a-couplate-the-stepping-stone-to-integrated-circuits/

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/2012/08/

Enjoy!

'65 Fender Tremolux, '74 Princeton; '80 Princeton Reverb
Dr. Z MAZ 18 Jr. + 1x12 Cab
Various Telecasters and noise-making pedals
Farfisa Compact Duo

Thanks for getting back to all!

Joheny - I have seen the Catalinbread pedal, it does sound very good. And they did work closely with Mosrite's son, who, from the video I saw, built these pedals himself as a teen.
I have my board done (Si using TZ82 transistors) and actually built an enclosure out of some scrap wood I had lying around. The inside is lined with copper shielding tape. I like the fun of trying to build these pedals. All I need to do is finish it off. I might get the chance to do that now, living in a lock-down state and quarantine. If anyone is interested I could try to post a photo or two.

Nedorama - Thanks for the links! I've check them out and I guess that explains my friends comment of 'it made a difference'.
So, from what I can see, is that it is a filtering network. Now I just need to figure out where in conjunction to the original (Si) circuit it was wired. Do you know of any clear photos showing the wires running into the switch or a schematic? It's funny how the switch wiring and this additional component have been overlooked on so many schematics. I know the old style switch wiring can lead to what is referred to as 'tone sucking' as compared to true-bypass, but that was part of the original tone. Also, the method of wiring reacts to other parts of the signal chain - especially in the early days of all this.
I'll keep hunting down the switch wiring. Let me know if you stumble across anything on your end. Now that I know the mystery 'blob' it may be easier to figure out.

Thanks again for the input!

I would love to see a photo. I fully understand a diy person, especially now that we're trapped in our homes. When you finish it maybe you could post a sound bite. Good luck!

Joheny - I posted some photos of my pedal in-progress. I call it my Mo's Rat Fuzz-Rat - I don't like to use a company or product name when I clone something, those belong to the company.
The covers fit better when finally screwed in place, I used a rubber-band just to hold things in place for photos.
The switch is currently wired true-bypass, just to be able to test it right now.
Thanks for wanting to see it!

I have an early mosrite fuzzrite. It’s one of the germanium units with RCA transistors. I think it’s true bypass because when the battery switch is off sound still will be output. Let me know if there is something you need to see in the way of pictures.
-dave

Last edited: Apr 09, 2020 16:03:16

Great name for the pedal. Looking forward to hearing it when you finish it.
Please post. I bought one of the CB Fuzz-rite's and love it. I envy people who can understand electronics and are able to build their own equipment.
Time to get back to work and figure out how to put battery's in the TV remote.

Hi SlacktoneDave,

Can you post a photo or two of the inside of your pedal?

Thanks,
Mr_McRuff

Page 1 of 1